• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Cameras (1 Viewer)

Cardamom Pod

Very well, Dr. Humorous Droll
Does Sony make good cameras for bird photography? I'm looking at the Alpha100, 200, and 350. How is the image quality on those cameras? Thanks!

I've moved this thread here as you're more likely to get answers...

I notice that you've also been asking about the Canon 20D and the Nikon D200 - to be honest any of these cameras (in fact almost all DSLRs) can deliver excellent images. Your best bet is to work out what lenses you want and makes sure that you can get them for the cameras your looking at. Then get to a shop and try them in the hand, see which feels best and which you find easiest to use.

Does Sony make good cameras for bird photography? I'm looking at the Alpha100, 200, and 350. How is the image quality on those cameras? Thanks!

I have a A200 and only really started using it in the past 2 months with a 300mm lens it gets good pictures but for long distances I am going to need to invest on a better lens.

In general I am VERY impressed with the A200, it wins numerous awards for Entry Level DSLR, so all depends if you are a beginner or not.

I have a A200 and only really started using it in the past 2 months with a 300mm lens it gets good pictures but for long distances I am going to need to invest on a better lens.

In general I am VERY impressed with the A200, it wins numerous awards for Entry Level DSLR, so all depends if you are a beginner or not.

Apparently either the a200 or a300. Not the the a350, apparently high noise levels at low ISO's for bird photgraphy. I spent a long time looking, eventually choosing the a300 from Jessops ( which I've had since November 08 ) and like ( but thinking of moving on to a700 ).
Lenses: any of the minolta APO lenses are fine, as are the sigma APO's ( but not the older 70-300mm, I got one off Ebay, ( the torque of the sony can destroy the autofocus, I did mine ( a700 has a slower option for autofocus speed so I am told. Info from Minolta/Sony forums ))).
HTH

Apparently either the a200 or a300. Not the the a350, apparently high noise levels at low ISO's for bird photgraphy. I spent a long time looking, eventually choosing the a300 from Jessops ( which I've had since November 08 ) and like ( but thinking of moving on to a700 ).
Lenses: any of the minolta APO lenses are fine, as are the sigma APO's ( but not the older 70-300mm, I got one off Ebay, ( the torque of the sony can destroy the autofocus, I did mine ( a700 has a slower option for autofocus speed so I am told. Info from Minolta/Sony forums ))).
HTH

Ive not experienced any ISO issues while taking shots of birds on ISO 100 or 200.

...as are the sigma APO's ( but not the older 70-300mm, I got one off Ebay, ( the torque of the sony can destroy the autofocus, I did mine ).

This does seem to be quite an issue with the Sony cameras, it seems that when you turn them on they drive the focus out to infinity, this is done with some force and can often lead ot the AF breaking. I was talking to a Sigma repairer about this last week, Sigma have now made an alteration to their Sony fit lenses to stop this happening so you should be fine with any new Sigma lens.

I have a Sony A-700/ Sony70-400G

Birdsgalway: I have to concur. Outstanding lens and the A700 is excellent as well(and especially with V4 firmware update). Sorry, but the 70-400G makes my old Tamron200-500 obsolete. I have the Sony 1.4X converter as well. No AF, of course, but no image degredation either. regards~onlybill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back