• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Serious question about the Nikon EDG (1 Viewer)

Bruce,

Re your Post #32 and "bubbling" covers.

That can also happen with the rubber covering on the Nikon 8x30 E2, although you can glue it back on. I've done that a number of times with mine which I got back around 2001 or so.

Bob

Optics planet has the EDG 8x32 for $1989 and you can get 10% off that price the rest of today. I assume they have the 42s also. I'd buy one but I'm on the fence to go for the Swaro 8x32 EL. If the EDG had a slightly larger FOV I'd live with the extra weight and bite. I'm guessing it's a fantastic optic.

BC,

Just stick to the EL's. You'll have the 32, I'll have the 42, and we can spend the rest of the year just agreeing with each other.

Samolot

What I like about having the EDG is that they are not common, I can always get a green glass if I want one,..... wait I have a green glass, a Safari Leica, I am good.

Andy W.

I think it very likely that the optical quality is just about the same as what I'm after. Everything about the EDG is top notch from what I can tell without owning. Allbinos loves them along with the Swaro EL as two of the best binoculars you can buy. I'm paying a few hundred more for a little more fov, a little less weight, possibly brighter, possibly a little more ease of viewing, and a lot of dependable customer service should something go wrong. I was inches away from choosing the EDG to try first but I knew deep down I wanted to try the ELs first and hopefully own about the best there is out there. I've never spent more than $519 on a bin until this last week and now I'm about to drop almost 4 grand for two bins. Yikes!

Last edited:
BC,
The way you use glass, in different viewing conditions unlike some people I have seen out and about - (staring at the green bush with out any incoming light), if the glare bothers you, it will be right away.
Good Luck, hope the Leica 10X is in good shape and is up to the task, I have three and they are a very good glass.
With the SV if bought new, you can always return it.

Andy W.

One thing you should think about is the EDG is discontinued. Nikon already won't fix the SE's that have been discontinued. What is going to happen if you need service on your EDG's in a year? Swarovski will still be here in a year.

swaro is not the only quality glass out there, am I right? and I am not worried about my EDGs or my SEs. If I were to purchase a swaro glass it would be the large aperture 10X56 or 15X56 for astronomy, likely 15X. I am going to look at the Meopta 15X56 and from three people who have access to both say save a grand and get the Meopta.
I have all the glass I need in the smaller formats so no need to add them.

Andy W.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but feel free to PM me if you want to know more about Meopta. I have the 12x50 HD. In short, I am extremely pleased.

Actually I don't see any double bridge pics. Question, how would you compare the EDG to the MHG models?

I can tell you that I have no eye placement problems using my 10x32 EDG (II) but I do with my Monarch HG 8x42.

I must have the precise IPD and brace it just right up against my brow ridge or I will occasionally get small brief blackouts while using it. They happen when I move my eyes to follow a bird rather than moving my head with the binocular.

Bob

For anyone wanting to save bucks by buying the international version of the EDG on Amazon I contacted Nikon US about the warranty and they said the US warranty would apply. Hope that is true but here's what they sent me.
Thank you for contacting Nikon.

It was a pleasure assisting you, Just Provide your receipt for the Lifetime warranty and you should be good.

Should there be any other questions or concerns, feel free to call or email us.
1-800-645-6687.

Sincerely,

Ariel T
Nikon Customer Support

It's amazing how unclear tech support can be. I asked for further clarification due to that first email being a little unclear and here's what I got. Are they saying I need the original receipt form Nikon factory to seller or from the seller? Plus there are spelling errors. I often wonder if they train or supervise anyone.lol First they implied international was no problem Now this. I guess I'm going to call them and try and talk to someone. I don't even want a pair at this time but I don't want to put out bad information here. The savings on the international version is nothing to laugh at. On Amazon it's $350 -400 depending on the size.

Response from Ariel T.
Thank you for contacting Nikon.

You have the have the Original receipt from the origin of where it was purchased in ordered to be covered under warranty, I would advise you not to buy International.

Should there be any other questions or concerns, feel free to call or email us.
1-800-645-6687.

Nikon has historically been quite strict about only covering official USA imports under the USA warranty.
Nikon has varied with respect to what is covered under the 25 year no fault warranty for Sport Optics.
I think the bigger issue these days is that they only cover models for ~5 years post production.
L/Z/S have done better with maintaining ability to repair out of production models.

--AP

Buying outside the USA carries a certain risk with it so you kinda have to weigh the risk before you buy. I've bought several overseas; Meoota B1, NIB Leica Trinovid BN, Swarovski Habicht NIB, NIB Zeiss FL....I believe that's it. Meopta didn't even blink and registered the B1 for warranty right away. Zeiss wouldn't even when I mailed the warranty card in(not a current model), the Leica and the Habicht I didn't even try. So I kinda weigh the risk...what going to go wrong with a Habicht? Nothing. Zeiss FL? Same. Trinovid BN? Same. So I believe I'm good with these without a warranty. The EDG....I honestly only know of two main issues....hinge tension and after a while the armoring MAY come unglued. The hinge tension YOU can fix for the amount it would take to ship to Nikon. Probably can fix the armoring with a little glue. That's my thoughts on it FWIW. I'd rather have a NIB overseas EDG than a refurbished one.

I bought my EDG from a guy on EBAY....NIB....$1600 knowing it probably wouldn't be covered under any warranty. Outside of hinge tension which I fixed pretty easily....it's been perfect!

It's amazing how unclear tech support can be. I asked for further clarification due to that first email being a little unclear and here's what I got..............

One thing I have learned over the years about Nikon Optics is that if you ask ten Nikon people the same warranty question, you will get 10 different answers.

Here is the current written USA warranty. Note it says it applies the the original purchaser only and is not transferable. It also says you must include the warranty form along with the bill of sale. Also of significance is it says it is valid only for new Nikon binocular sold by Nikon Inc. I am assuming Nikon Inc. is the Nikon USA operation that imports the products to the US.

Since the document says the form can not be reproduced (and I am not sure exactly how that applies), I figured it best not to post an image but instead just the link to the Nikon page ...........

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en...tting-Scope_No_Electronic-warranty-sample.pdf

What makes things even more confusing is Nikon USA also has a "No Fault Policy". At one time it was a written document but I can not find one anymore. There is just a web page with a vague video. Good luck in figuring out what will or will not be covered. Also, based on what I learned from Forum posts, a policy is not the same as a warranty. A policy can be changed or revoked at any time.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/no-fault/no-fault.page

Bottom line, the Nikon USA approach to warranty has been a fiasco for a long time and continues to be that way. It looks to me that an international purchase is not covered under the written warranty. However if they do cover it, then consider it done under good will.

Also keep in mind this is for new products. Nikon refurbs are another discussion.

I suspect some of the folks at Nikon are well aware of the issue. The founders of Tract Optics are former Nikon execs. I noticed they did not repeat this same approach with coming up with the Tract warranty. Last time I checked, there is a large variation in the clarity of the written warranty coverage among the producers. Nikon is near the bottom, Zeiss and Vortex among others near the top and Swaro somewhere in between.

The day will arrive when an EDG is "replaced" with whatever Nikon deems appropriate.

Here's a question.
Will Nikon clean an E2/SE porro that is otherwise in good condition? Or, will they want to replace it as they now do for E's/SE's sent in for repair?

Buying outside the USA carries a certain risk with it so you kinda have to weigh the risk before you buy. I've bought several overseas; Meoota B1, NIB Leica Trinovid BN, Swarovski Habicht NIB, NIB Zeiss FL....I believe that's it. Meopta didn't even blink and registered the B1 for warranty right away. Zeiss wouldn't even when I mailed the warranty card in(not a current model), the Leica and the Habicht I didn't even try. So I kinda weigh the risk...what going to go wrong with a Habicht? Nothing. Zeiss FL? Same. Trinovid BN? Same. So I believe I'm good with these without a warranty. The EDG....I honestly only know of two main issues....hinge tension and after a while the armoring MAY come unglued. The hinge tension YOU can fix for the amount it would take to ship to Nikon. Probably can fix the armoring with a little glue. That's my thoughts on it FWIW. I'd rather have a NIB overseas EDG than a refurbished one.

I bought my EDG from a guy on EBAY....NIB....$1600 knowing it probably wouldn't be covered under any warranty. Outside of hinge tension which I fixed pretty easily....it's been perfect!

This kind of covers my reasoning. I'll take calculated risks if I think the odds are stacked in my favor.

Nikon SE

Pileatus,

I bought a SE from a forum member who had the SE serviced, so yes they will clean, relube check alignment etc. I have the paperwork. As of earlier this year.

Now, will they replace a cracked lens, probably not.

Andy W.

The day will arrive when an EDG is "replaced" with whatever Nikon deems appropriate.

Here's a question.
Will Nikon clean an E2/SE porro that is otherwise in good condition? Or, will they want to replace it as they now do for E's/SE's sent in for repair?

Pileatus,

I bought a SE from a forum member who had the SE serviced, so yes they will clean, relube check alignment etc. I have the paperwork. As of earlier this year.

Now, will they replace a cracked lens, probably not.

Andy W.
Thanks! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back