• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

National bird for England ? (1 Viewer)

ikw101

Apparently the Scots are seriously considering having a national bird and at the moment the Golden Eagle is the favourite.

NEW Zealand has the kiwi, Antigua has the frigate bird and Belize has the keel-billed toucan - but Scotland has nothing.

A total of 90 countries around the world, and numerous states and provinces, have a national bird. Scotland is not one of them but that omission could soon be reversed thanks to a recent decision by MSPs.

Assuming this goes ahead will the idea catch on south of the border? If it does what bird should the English choose?

If my memory serves me this was done by The Times newspaper back in the '60s and as already been mentioned the Robin was voted England's national bird.

Darrell

It is the Robin!

Scotland should have the Golden Eagle.

What about Wales? Red Kite or [Chough (Kernow claims the Chough)]
N.Ireland?

Northern Irelands' bird

Northern Ireland is the summer home of the 55 year old manx shearwater, thats the oldest on record..that must surely be a contender

The Robin for England? Bickering, two-timing, aggressive, big immigrant numbers every year. Yep, that sounds about right. ;)

Maybe Scotland should adopt the Herring Gull. Greedy, gregarious, noisy, lives on carry-outs. Aye, that's us. :eat:

Only joking BTW.

If I were Scots I reckon I'd vote for Scottish Crossbill - a bird nobody else can lay claim to.

For us down in England I'd go along with robin . Guaranteed to cheer you up even on a miserable winters day.

cheshirebirder said:
If I were Scots I reckon I'd vote for Scottish Crossbill - a bird nobody else can lay claim to.

For us down in England I'd go along with robin . Guaranteed to cheer you up even on a miserable winters day.

I thought the Robin was voted the BRITISH national bird when devolution was just a twinkle in Winnie Ewing's eye?

Red Grouse (Lagopus lagopus scoticus) wouldn't be a bad option... especially with its association with moorland and the uplands. It's certainly the most economically important. Ptarmigan not bad either but might disappear sooner than we think with global warming.... and THAT would be embarrassing

Capercaillie has a lovely gaelic name ('capull coille', meaning 'horse of the woods'.) and won't ever be established in the Britain and Ireland outside Scotland. (unlike the Golden Eagle which is going great guns in Donegal and I reckon within a decade will be reintroduced to Wales and England). If the Caper got it then the Scottish Assembly could vote gazillions of pounds to saving 'the national bird' in between their drinking / swinging sessions.

English national bird? You'd have to go with Robin wouldn't you?

i think wales' definatly should be the red kite. Is that actually official?? its powy's council logo.

What about the kestrel?

One of the most recognizable birds commonly seen in the english countryside,

The bird most commonly pointed out by fathers to their sons while driving
down the motorway?

Matt

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back