• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Jersey tiger trapped at Cley on Monday and beautiful marbled at Holme today (news from twitter, neither trapped by me) - some interesting moths and butterflies turning up this week, I wonder what else will arrive.

PE reported from Beeston but not yet from Sheringham. This may be because people are busy looking at Foxley - where they are easier to see. Now also reported from Swanton Novers, Ashwellthorpe Lower Wood and one other wood in county. Clearly a widespread dispersion in process.

Queen of Spain fritillary photographed at BTO Thetford last week - and on Saturday I was shown a photograph taken last year at East Ruston Gardens of a Rusty-tipped Page (Siproeta epaphus), normally found Mexico to Nicaragua - which may have come in as a caterpillar on an imported plant perhaps, as it doesn't seem to be available to buy from the usual sources.

a clifton nonpareil was caught near Brancaster last night and is apparently going to be available to view at Titchwell today.

First of the year garden Orange - Tip yesterday with Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell. Surprisingly no Holly Blue yet. My wealthy neighbour has just prepared drilled and seeded a two acre paddock behind my garden as a wildflower meadow. Some cheerful news at last.

First of the year garden Orange - Tip yesterday with Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell. Surprisingly no Holly Blue yet. My wealthy neighbour has just prepared drilled and seeded a two acre paddock behind my garden as a wildflower meadow. Some cheerful news at last.

Get him to adopt you...;)
MJB

The current Norfolk list of species seen this year is
Small White, Green-veined White, Orangetip, Brimstone
Holly Blue, Small Copper, Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell
Peacock, Comma and Speckled Wood

Next up will be Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, Green Hairstreak and Wall. But where are the Large Whites? Ought to be out by now? But no-one's reported seeing one yet.

Large White and Green Hairstreak now reported - And a Large Tortoiseshell photographed on the 8th in Sheringham area, with one in Suffolk and one in Essex also seen last week. So frustrating when we're in lockdown.

Obvious movement of Small Whites today In my back garden with the fresh hot breeze probably the reason. Is this happening throughout the country?

I have reports mainly from coastal sites so far, with numbers reported as "hundreds" in several. Seems to have started Wednesday.

In other news, Purple Emperor seen at Foxley this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back