• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parrotbill - Hangzhou, China, Jan 08 (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Hi All,

Please could someone help me ID this parrotbill? I suspect it's Vinous-throated, but could it be Ashy-throated?

Seen in a group of 7-10 birds, very active in bushes and shrubs in park land near the West Lake, Hangzhou in late January. Birds were emitting constant high pitched twittering, if this helps!

Sorry for the poor image quality. Light was very poor and couldn't get a fast shutter speed to freeze movement.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Kev

Attachments

• pbill 1.jpg
    pbill 1.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 85
  • pbill 2.jpg
    pbill 2.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 87
Looks like Vinous-throated, Ashy-throated is only found in the south-west of China, which I don't think Hangzhou is in.

Mark

I agree with vinous-throated. I see them a lot in Korea.

Don't know why they call them that, tho, since the throuat usually is off-white like in your photos.

Many thanks for the ID. I've since read elsewhere that Ashy-throated are only in SW China. Hangzhou is near the east coast so I guess this narrows the options. Thanks again.
Kev

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back