• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2012 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Two barren counties in Illinois has gotten me up to 40 species so far, not going to complain when one of those was a snowy owl though.

Today I visited Squaw Creek NWR, Mound City, Missouri and picked a few more species for 2012.

48. Blue Jay
49. Red-headed Woodpecker
50. Great Horned Owl
51. Rusty Blackbird
52. Brown-headed Cowbird
53. Purple Finch
54. Trumpeter Swan
55. Tundra Swan
56. American Wigeon
57. Hooded Merganser
58. Sandhill Crane
59. American Kestrel
.... & ....
60. Eurasian Collared-Dove (at Saint Joseph, Missouri, Stockyards)

...where are all the Brits?? This thread seems to be dominated by Americans right now. I want to see the year lists grow from across the pond as well!

Four on my drive to work today:
63. Red-bellied Woodpecker
64. Eurasian Collared Dove
65. Pyrrhuloxia (good bird for our area)
66. Merlin.

And two others later in the morning:
67. Brown Thrasher
68. Eastern Towhee.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Since everyone's starting out now, check out:

http://www.bubo.org - an excellent listing site for you to keep all the specifics of your year lists!

EDIT: The more users with North American ABA year lists, the more useful the awesome "target birds" function is - it lists birds you HAVEN'T seen yet, organized by most frequently seen by others with the same list (e.g. House Sparrow and Red-tailed Hawk are at the top of mine right now).

Last edited:
Went to a grassland area on the Indiana-Illinois state line and picked up some good birds that can be hard to find in my area (especially Ring-necked Pheasant, which doesn't exist in my part of the state). I saw seven species, so my Year List is now up to 82.

76. Lesser Scaup
77. Trumpeter Swan
78. Tundra Swan
79. Hooded Merganser
80. Mute Swan
81. Ross's Goose
82. Ring-necked Pheasant

Dave

Popped in to a local park to get Red-headed and Pileated Woodpecker. Missed both but added:
69. Pine Warbler
70. Eastern Bluebird
71. Tufted Titmouse
72. Brown Creeper.

Hoping to get down to the coast on the weekend to really move my list along!

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

This morning I dipped on a Snowy Owl that was at a nearby lake yesterday. My bad luck continued because despite birding hard for half the day, I only managed to see one new bird for the year.

83. Myrtle Warbler

Dave

61. Wild Turkey (20), yesterday on the outskirts of Saint Joseph, Missouri

Today at Smithville Lake, Smithville, Missouri

62. Northern Mockingbird (1)
63. Gadwall (26)
64. Snowy Owl (1)

On the drive to the gym:

36. Cooper's Hawk

I am now actively avoiding any place I might encounter a House Sparrow. This has got to be the longest time period in a year list I've not had one.

On the drive to the gym:
36. Cooper's Hawk
I am now actively avoiding any place I might encounter a House Sparrow. This has got to be the longest time period in a year list I've not had one.

Probably easier to avoid House Sparrows in Britain than in the USA, Alex!

Jeff

Hmm, as I'd forgotten to actually start writing these things down...

1) Cormorant, 2) Little Grebe 3) Great Crested Grebe 4) Canada Goose 5)Eurasian Teal 6) Gadwall 7) Goldeneye 8) Greylag Goose 9) Green-winged Teal 10) Long-tailed Duck 11) Mallard 12) Mute Swan 13) Pintail 14) Pochard 15) Shelduck 16) Tufted Duck 17) Wigeon 18) Pheasant 19) Black Headed Gull 20) Common Gull 21) Great Black Backed Gull 22) Herring Gull 23) Lesser Black Backed Gull 24) Coot 25) Grey Heron 26) Little Egret, 27) Moorhen 28) Blackbird 29)Blue Tit 30) Chaffinch 31) Carrion Crow, 32) Starling, 33) Dunnock 34) Fieldfare 35) Goldfinch 36) Great Tit, 37) Greenfinch 38) House Sparrow 39)Jackdaw 40) Linnet 41) Long tailed Tit, 42) Magpie 43) Marsh tit 44) Pied Wagtail 45) Redwing 46) Reed Bunting 47) Robin 48) Rook 49) Skylark 50) Song thrush 51) tree sparrow 52) wren 53) yellowhammer 54) Collared Dove 55) Feral Pigeon 56) Wood pigeon 57) Kestrel 58) Little Owl 59) Marsh Harrier 60) Red Kite 61) Buzzard 62) Sparrowhawk 63) Avocet 64) Black-tailed Godwit 65) Curlew 66) Dunlin 67) Golden Plover 68) Lapwing 69) Redshank 70) Ruff 71) Turnstone

Fairly pleased with that as a start to the year, especially given two new lifers in the first week (in bold) - pitty I missed out on the bird's I'd gone looking for at Oare Marshes on the 2nd, as that'd be 5 lifers in the week in that case.

Seven new birds today bring me to an even 90 for the year. I only need four more birds to tie my best January ever.

84. Barred Owl
85. Hermit Thrush
86. Greater Scaup
87. Horned Grebe
88. Belted Kingfisher
89. Green-winged Teal
90. Eastern Towhee

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back