• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Bird (1 Viewer)

M4rtin!

Anyone got any ideas what this bird is has a white bar across its tail feathers white round the eyes, i think its a juvenile

Attachments

• IMG_5882.JPG
    IMG_5882.JPG
    588 KB · Views: 74
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

That said, I'm going to move your thread to the Bird I D section and I have subscribed you to this thread so that you will get an email when someone posts a suggestion ;)

It’s someone’s lost pet - and not in very good condition (it’s primaries looked like they were clipped). You would probably do the bird a favour if you can catch it (it will eat fruit).

Thanks Ken, would it be normal to find these in Oldham Lancs

Escaped birds can be found anywhere M4rtin!

Over the years at my abode NE.London, I’ve had Alexandrine Parakeet and a Harris Hawk, extrapolate those incidences across the realm...and you have a whole bunch of ex “jail birds” on the loose. :eek!: :t:

It's a Common Myna.
They have become established in several countries around the world as a result of escapes from captivity, and they can be quite invasive and outcompete native species, so it would be worth trying to make sure it's recaptured.

Pale skin behind the eye is indeed a juvenile trait in Common Mynahs (adults are bright yellow there).

Thanks to everyone for the responses, It appears one was lost around 7 weeks ago around 5 miles away, I will try to recapture it, any ideas on the best way without injury or stress to the bird

thanks again Martin

Thanks to everyone for the responses, It appears one was lost around 7 weeks ago around 5 miles away, I will try to recapture it, any ideas on the best way without injury or stress to the bird

thanks again Martin
You may not be able to catch it immediately but may be able to ‘retame’ it by giving it chopped fruit and a bowl of water in an area where it can not easily evade you - eg near a corner/against a wall. If you can get it feeding, you may be able then to throw a tea towel over it (birds will generally immediately stand still if covered).

Once covered you can pick the bird up (tea towel included) by placing a hand gently either side of the whole bird being careful that the wings are folded under the palms of your hands and your fingers are under the belly. The bird can then be placed while still under the towel in a cardboard box and taken indoors.

To avoid injury or feather loss, careful not grab or hold the bird by the wings (or try and push wings closed yourself ) - birds will instinctively close their wings in the proper position if they are not able to immediately fly off and the wing is unencumbered or uninjured. If the wings are open still as you pick the bird up, your fingers can very very gently guide them closed letting the bird use its own exertion to fold its own wings into a closed position. If a wing becomes ‘loose’ once you’ve picked up the bird, I would use the same technique but ensuring I had the bird gently but securely held by the other hand as I was doing it.

Alternatively, invite the owner to come round, the bird will likely recognise them and may be easier to catch ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back