• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Knapp & Papermill WWT Reserve. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

I had my first visit to Knapp & Papermill yesterday (Sunday 12th) and I must say I was most impressed, a delightful walk in very scenic habitat and in sunny weather! Not many birds to be soon throughout the day, though 5 Buzzards hunting over the meadows were great to watch. Grey Wagtail (x2), Blue & Great Tits, Robin and Green & Great Spotted Woodpecker heard! The Green Woodpecker was heard frequently! The highlight today had to be the butterflies, Peacock, Orange Tip and Brimstone were a pleasure to see. I also found a Slow Worm, which is a first for me, I was well pleased with this sighting. The Flora was a picture to see and I am sure in the week or two ahead it will be at peak flowering period with Bluebells and Wild Garlic ready to open their delightful flowers!. The Bluebells were just starting to open and with the Wood Anemone in flower the woodland walk was a delight!

A future visit to this reserve will definately figure in my diary some time in the near future. My thanks go to Pete (Duckpond) for recommending this reserve to me.

Attachments

• P1060299 [].JPG
    P1060299 [].JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 187
  • P1060339 [].JPG
    P1060339 [].JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 164
  • P1060354 [].JPG
    P1060354 [].JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 165
  • P1060357 [].JPG
    P1060357 [].JPG
    206 KB · Views: 158
  • P1060366 [].JPG
    P1060366 [].JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
That looks lovely there Pam and I can just about smell the Wild Garlic from here.

D

It is lovely, Delia! A lovely time of year with all the Wild flowers. Lesser Celandine and odd clusters of Forget Me Knots mingled amongst the Wild Garlic and Bluebells was delightful to see! Marsh Marigold also looking splendid alongside the brook and in the marsh area.

Attachments

• P1060307 [].JPG
    P1060307 [].JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 134
  • P1060311 [].JPG
    P1060311 [].JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 152
  • P1060312 [].JPG
    P1060312 [].JPG
    96 KB · Views: 148
Glad you enjoyed it Pam - it's a great place for a walk around. There are supposed to be dippers and kingfishers along the stream too, at times.

That said, I've not seen any yet!

These initials ! I saw WWT and immediately thought Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (and there's a advert for them at the bottom of the screen as I read your thread), didn't know they had a reserve there! Twit, Worcestershire of course.

Glad you enjoyed it Pam - it's a great place for a walk around. There are supposed to be dippers and kingfishers along the stream too, at times.

That said, I've not seen any yet!

No Dippers or Kingfishers whilst I was there, Pete! I reckon they must have been hiding round a bend!o:D We waited a while behind the screen where a Kingfisher is supposed to nest, no luck!

These initials ! I saw WWT and immediately thought Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (and there's a advert for them at the bottom of the screen as I read your thread), didn't know they had a reserve there! Twit, Worcestershire of course.

I will have to put the full title in future, Dave!o:D Hope you enjoyed the thread anyway!

I was out with Fergus Henderson (Warden of the Knapp & Papermill) yesterday. He's my ringing trainer. We were ringing on land adjacent to the K&P reserve, We trapped 78 birds (which took our total to 200 in the last two visits to the area) starting at 0615 and we got away by 1100. I extracted a few birds from the nets without assistance and a lot more with help. I processed (ringed, aged, sexed, measured and weighed) my fair share of the birds; the (personal) highlight of which was one (a male) of two Goldcrests that we managed to get.
I also met a couple of Fergus's cohorts; Stuart (Stewart) and Shaun (Sean). Shaun is the guy who rings for Redpolls and other winter visitors at Upton Warren.

Attachments

• Goldcrest.jpg
    Goldcrest.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 152
I thought it was the right time to bump this thread.
Next Sunday is the Knapp & Papermill open day. I for one will be supporting Fergus and going along to it, if only to take the mickey (OK, I admit, it's the Pig Roast that I'm really going for)!
Anyone else up for it?

Details

The Knapp & Papermill - near Alfrick
See reserves section for map reference and further details
Key Habitats: Meadow and wet grassland, meandering river, ponds, woodland, orchard
Entrance: Off the Bransford to Alfrick Pound Minor Road OS Map Reference SO750521
Look for: Information boards at entrance
Parking: Opposite the entrance (6-8 cars, 1 coach)
Facilities: Single basic toilet available. Information point in Knapp Cottage (unstaffed)
Access: Stone path runs 0.5 km into reserve. Steep gradients. Access to the remainder of reserve is earth paths. Mostly gates, some stiles to more remote areas
Mobile Phone reception: Poor to none (oh bliss!)
Nearest Public Telephone: Alfrick SO 739502; Smith End Green SO 775522

Bluebell Sunday' - Knapp and Papermill Open Day
25th April 2010
Worcestershire Wildlife Trust
Venue: Knapp and Papermill Reserve
Tel: 01886832065

The annual Knapp and Papermill Open Day - join us for guided walks amongst the bluebell carpeted woods, childrens' activities, wildlife experts, pig roast, home made refreshments and live music. Free parking available.
11am - 5pm. Admission £3 adults / £1 children

The Knapp and Papermill Nature Reserve, Alfrick Pound.

C'mon, it's got to be worth it!

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of what was a very enjoyable day, yesterday. Hopefully I've done the K&P's beauty some justice. It really is quite idyllic.
I'm sorry, but so vibrant are the colours in these pictures, I've had to reduce them rather drastically to comply with the Forum's attachment rules. I hope they don't detract too much from the viewers' pleasure.

Attachments

• K&P1.jpg
    K&P1.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 149
  • K&P2.jpg
    K&P2.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 148
  • K&P3.jpg
    K&P3.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 153
  • K&P4.jpg
    K&P4.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 129
  • K&P5.jpg
    K&P5.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
A summary of two visits to Knapp and Papermill:

Although the bluebells and wild flowers are no longer at this time of year, there were still lots of the more common butterflies including common blue, meadow brown, speckled wood, green-veined white. Southern hawker dragonflies are all over the reserve. Banded and beautiful demoiselles were finding mates on the river.

On our first visit we followed three Grey Wags upstream and on our return saw a Marsh Tit mixed in with a flock of Blue Tits and Great Tits.
On our second visit it was early evening and quiet (only three dogs off leads). We saw two Grey Wags and a Dipper on the river.

All in all two very enjoyable visits.
Are other nearby sites where Marsh tits are known to be?

Beautiful afternoon at Knapp and Papermill with some good birds, butterflies and dragonflies to watch.

1. Distant Dipper
2. Painted Lady
3. Purple Hairstreak
4. Purple Hairstreak

Attachments

• Distant Dipper.jpg
    Distant Dipper.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Painted Lady comp.jpg
    Painted Lady comp.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Purple Hairstreak comp.jpg
    Purple Hairstreak comp.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Purple Hairstreak 2 comp.jpg
    Purple Hairstreak 2 comp.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 92
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back