• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Painted Ladies are certainly out in abundance. Just saw four in my garden in Seething, together with a Red Admiral and a Small Tortoiseshell. Never seen a single Painted Lady in the garden before, having lived here now for 8 years. Indeed, even when I have seen them on reserves, I have rarely seen more than one at a time. They seem to like the Yellow Ball buddleia!

Along with the Painted Ladies and Red Admirals coming in, I've had a Clouded Yellow reported.
In other news Dark Green Fritillary and White-Letter Hairstreak also seen.

21st June the Swallowtails were showing well at Hickling (x5) and 20+ painted ladies but best spot of the day was a White Admiral very near to the visitor centre.

Hickling

21st June Swallowtails X5 showing well at Hickling, at 20+ Painted Ladies but best spot of the day was a White Admiral near to the Visitor Centre.

Nope, that's definitely the wrong direction for this time of year. Any guess as to species?

In other news, Cranwich Camp's field trip on Saturday turned up 3 Marbled Whites!

I'm afraid I have no idea on species. It was at least 10 metres away from me when I first saw it and I watched it head out to sea until it was so far out I couldn't see it.

Nope, that's definitely the wrong direction for this time of year. Any guess as to species?

In other news, Cranwich Camp's field trip on Saturday turned up 3 Marbled Whites!

So depending on your level of credulity this reinforces the long distance jump with the Small Blues or is another example of the phantom butterfly releaser of Landseer. Perhaps we'll get some Brown Hairstreaks too.

Well things just got trickier - Suffolk has had a report of a Marbled seen coming in off the sea with a bunch of Large Whites. I have no idea what's going on, but no sign of anything at Cranwich today.

Purple Emperor are at Foxley Wood! At least 2 males and a female have been seen, showing well but high up on the trees along the main drive that leads to the car parks. Note that Foxley is closed on Thursdays, so apologies for the late posting here.

Sightings

16/7 The Silver Washed Fritillaries were showing well at Holt Country Park particularly near the pond.
19/7 Counted 11 species of butterfly in the wildflower meadows near the car park at Bowthorpe Marshes including Brown Argus, Green Veined White, Skippers, Comma etc.
21/7 Winterton Dunes near the car park spotted 3 Dark Green Fritillaries, several Small Heath and 3 or more Grayling.
Hoping the Purple Emperors will still be showing at Foxley Wood this week. Any more sightings?

Purple Emperor seen on Buddleia today at Sidestrand. Also EDP reports that the species is "officially" back as a species in Norfolk. Not heard of any reports yet from Sheringham Park though.

Purple Emperor was in Northrepps yesterday evening. First spotted about 1800 hrs it remained feeding until 1915 when it flew off north. Unsurprisingly no sign this morning. An amazing garden tick and a lifer for me. see @Norf_Viz_Mig on Twitter for more pics and video.

Attachments

• 67961432_10218409055968195_665619682048344064_n.jpg
    67961432_10218409055968195_665619682048344064_n.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back