• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D II + 400mm f/5.6L prime + TC 1.4x III images (1 Viewer)

Fabio

Hello all,

I have been using the 7D II + 400mm f/5.6L prime + TC 1.4x III and many have been asking me about the results, so I have made a small compilation on Flickr (see link below).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fduarte/sets/72157650575321378/

Generally, I would say that at f/8 (wide open) the sharpness is acceptable, but you might want to stop down to f/11, which is not a problem under good light and a stable tripod. Besides, ISO 800 for the 7D Mark II is not a problem at all.

The focusing speed decreases a lot, but it remains very accurate. Notice that I use back button autofocus with AI-SERVO.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Fabio.

Hello all,

I have been using the 7D II + 400mm f/5.6L prime + TC 1.4x III and many have been asking me about the results, so I have made a small compilation on Flickr (see link below).

Generally, I would say that at f/8 (wide open) the sharpness is acceptable, but you might want to stop down to f/11, which is not a problem under good light and a stable tripod. Besides, ISO 800 for the 7D Mark II is not a problem at all.

The focusing speed decreases a lot, but it remains very accurate. Notice that I use back button autofocus with AI-SERVO.

Best regards,
Fabio.

Very interesting thanks. What shutter speeds were you using? I suspect that you have far better light than we get in the uk for many months of the year. My findings are that in good light, we don't get much at this time of year, the results are reasonable. As the year progresses and light improves will be trying more. On the 1D3 this combination worked well. I hope its the same on the 7D2 and have no reason to see why it won't.

Phil

Very interesting thanks. What shutter speeds were you using? I suspect that you have far better light than we get in the uk for many months of the year. My findings are that in good light, we don't get much at this time of year, the results are reasonable. As the year progresses and light improves will be trying more. On the 1D3 this combination worked well. I hope its the same on the 7D2 and have no reason to see why it won't.

Phil

Hi Phil,

If you follow the link to the Flickr page and click on the first image you should be able to scroll down to the EXIF data. You can then use the right arrow to go through the rest of the images. Well worth doing as the shutter speeds range from 1/100 to 1/2000.

Looks like a great combination.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

That's it, Phill, the EXIF is shown in each image page on flickr. Just need click on the first and scroll down.

Regards,
Fabio.

Phil
I have just posted a few in the 'for sale' section Phil which have been taken in dreary old UK with the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc (only the MkII tc - I suspect the mkIII would be a lot better). I had to crop very heavy as I only had a FF Camera but I am sure the 7D2 would have given better detail as I would not have to crop as heavily. The lens takes a tc very well IMO.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Best regards,
Fabio.
Very nice Fabio :t:

I have just posted a few in the 'for sale' section Phil which have been taken in dreary old UK with the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc (only the MkII tc - I suspect the mkIII would be a lot better). I had to crop very heavy as I only had a FF Camera but I am sure the 7D2 would have given better detail as I would not have to crop as heavily. The lens takes a tc very well IMO.
p.s. the Goldfinch was shot on a tripod the other four were hand held.

Thanks Roy.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back