• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler help - Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

AJDH

England
Could you help me to identify these two warblers (?) Both were photographed today in the Easter Province of Saudi Arabia. I'm having a bit of trouble identifying them with the field guide I have. My Middle East field guide is still en route from Amazon.

Attachments

• DSC_0069_800w.jpg
    DSC_0069_800w.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_0086_800w.jpg
    DSC_0086_800w.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 207
Andrew Whitehouse said:
Agree with Graceful Prinia. Other looks very tricky. More pictures would be helpful.
Andrew I hope this helps.

Adrian

Attachments

• DSC_0071_800w.JPG
    DSC_0071_800w.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 206
The first bird looks to be a Chiffchaff to me, with the green edges to the flight feathers perhaps pointing to Siberian chiffchaff !
Certainly dosent look like a bog standard Chiffy anyway.
Dont know if thats plausable or just me making a prat of myself !! 3:)

Willow, a fresh spring bird due to complete spring moult of Willow, no emarginated p6, long primary projection, pale legs to ment. some characters (all of these alone- excludes neglectus).

JanJ

Hi AJDH,

Nice shots.
I spent nearly 2 years in the Riyadh area and only came across Graceful Scrub-Warbler once at Thumamah. Chiffchaff was very common on passage though.

Tom

Sorry made a mistake here, it was Streaked Scrub-Warbler near Riyadh, only saw Graceful Prinia in Dubai!

Last edited:
Tom Tarrant said:
Hi AJDH,
Nice shots.
I spent nearly 2 years in the Riyadh area and only came across Graceful Scrub-Warbler once at Thumamah. Chiffchaff was very common on passage though.
Tom
Hi Tom,

I've seen quite a few gracefuls in the Eastern Province and certainly heard a lot more.

Adrian

London Birder said:
lovely Prinia shot Adrian ... did you get any more?
I got a couple through a fence. It was almost dusk and I was shooting at 100th sec. so they are not very clear. I'll put one up when I get home. At the moment I'm in Starbucks with my laptop and I don't have the pictures. I do have a picture of a disgraceful prinia, which I've attached.

Attachments

• _DSC0134_800w.jpg
    _DSC0134_800w.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 140
AJDH said:
I got a couple through a fence. It was almost dusk and I was shooting at 100th sec. so they are not very clear. I'll put one up when I get home. At the moment I'm in Starbucks with my laptop and I don't have the pictures. I do have a picture of a disgraceful prinia, which I've attached.
These are the shots through the fence. They would have been great but for the fence and the gloom. Maybe next time.

Attachments

• DSC_0088_800w.jpg
    DSC_0088_800w.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0090_800w.jpg
    DSC_0090_800w.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 114
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back