• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (1 Viewer)

Ty Dave - I picked a site that pretty much does it all for you as i'm not that technically minded on the web!

Just had a couple of juvenile Blackbirds in the garden this morning and several Starling young too. The Robin has been about quite a bit too but fairly quiet today but it is quite windy so maybe they are all hiding out!

Lovely photo of Yellowhammers TS. We have 2 possible juveniles visiting, under the feeders,but I'm not entirely sure, they could be females,although they don't have much yellow in their colouring. Have you any ID tips for them?

I will admit that I double checked when I first saw them lol. I had the advantage of the female being around at the same time and the juves are definitely duller. With bins there was a definite bit of gape which you can't see in the photo. Their behaviour was also a bit of a give away.

TS

Yellowhammers!! Wow! :eek!:

Hasn't been that busy in my garden since I got back from holiday (I think they've all got the hump because I wasn't there topping up the water and feed!), I haven't seen the Robins that much, or the greenfinches but still lots of Sparrows, Starlings and Blackbirds.

I looked out this morning to see a Dunnock fledgling hopping around the border next to my footpath though! First one I've ever seen and I had to get my binoculars onto it to get a close look to be sure. Brilliant to see one here, am really pleased that the Dunnocks are still around.

Well I haven't seen a dunnock for ages! I'm hoping that some will appear soon as I rather miss seeing them scurrying about under the feeder and bushes.

TS

I have been really missing them too, they've always been little skulking stars in my garden, it was rather sad not seeing them around much although I've had the occasional visit from some other local Dunnocks, who did come to my garden from time to time to engage in a bit of flirtation with lots of wing flicking.

Had two young Blue Tits being fed by an adult in the garden this morning, along with young House Sparrows, a Starling and a very fat Robin! A Great Tit even shared the feed tray with the Blue Tits, they usually chase each other off.

Very busy in my garden today - much busier than usual. Not sure why as the weather is quite good. Anyway the following turned up:
Goldfinch
Linnet
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Lesser Redpoll
Feral Pigeon
Collared Dove
Blackbird
Dunnock
Magpie
Jackdaw
The goldfinches, linnets and sparrows had young ones in tow.

Not a bad list for the middle of June.

Enjoy your trip MBL :t:

Great morning here in Cheshire, I thought the Coal Tit family had really grown when I first looked out, and it had..... 2 Juveniles:t::t:, However mixed in the FLOCK were 2 Blue tit Juveniles (A first for me o:)).

Will post update and pics later

The garden is very busy this morning, so the ironing may have to wait a little longer.

Ty Dave - I picked a site that pretty much does it all for you as i'm not that technically minded on the web!

Hi, Pam.
Glad to see you managed to get stills from your camcorder footage. Looking through your blog really makes me realize how different where I live in Texas is from England!
Jeff

Good luck with your trip! My sister-in-law spends several months a year in Lunga and this week she's hoping to see the Sea Eagles and Golden Eagles on Jura.
Jeff

Wet wet wet

But plenty of juveniles on the feeders and generally busy in the garden:t:
Goldfinch 2, Greenfinch 5+2 juvs, Feral Pigeon 2, Blue tit 1 + 3 juvs (Garden first):t:, Dunnock 2, Blackbird 2m 1f, Carrion crow 2 , Rook 2, Swift 3, Jackdaw 14, Woodpigeon 10, Starling 4+2 juvs, Magpie 1 + 1 juv, Housesparrow 4, Coal tit 2 juvs, Robin juv, Great tit Juv (Garden first), Collared Dove, Chaffinch m

Dave

Attachments

• Coal tit.JPG
    Coal tit.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Three juvs.JPG
    Three juvs.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Startling.JPG
    Startling.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Coaly.JPG
    Coaly.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hi, Pam.
Glad to see you managed to get stills from your camcorder footage. Looking through your blog really makes me realize how different where I live in Texas is from England!
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, thats what I think when I look at yours,:t: the range of birds you get over there are amazing, I'm a bit swayed by the colours too!

Dave, some great photos and how great to have so many juveniles.

Welcome return

After being pretty much absent for months, Red-bellied Woodpeckers have returned to our suet feeders. We love the little Downy Woodpeckers that visit constantly but it's great to have the big, bold Red-bellieds back!

BTW, later this morning we're off to a nearby forest to see if we can spot the (highly endangered) Red-cockaded Woodpecker.

Jeff

Attachments

• red-bellied.jpg
    red-bellied.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 42
  • red-bellied2.jpg
    red-bellied2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 36
After being pretty much absent for months, Red-bellied Woodpeckers have returned to our suet feeders. We love the little Downy Woodpeckers that visit constantly but it's great to have the big, bold Red-bellieds back!

BTW, later this morning we're off to a nearby forest to see if we can spot the (highly endangered) Red-cockaded Woodpecker.

Jeff

What a pretty bird. I had to google red-bellied woodpecker and hopefully I've got it right that your photo is an adult female.

Good luck with seeing the red-cockaded woodpecker. Let us know if you see one.

TS

Cheers Pam , Fozzy, TS

Hoping to get a good pic of the Juv Great tit but on my way back to work for a couple of hours first.

My partners son said he saw a Kestrel over the house a few days ago, although I didnt disagree with him in the back of my mind I guessed he had seen Sparrowhawk, however good job I kept my thoughts to myself as I have just seen it over the back of the house, it went out of sight and left me wondering, until it returned a few minutes later and hovered in full view, if not a little distant.... a new garden (overhead) tick, really pleased.

If the Kestrel has now shown up a few times I wonder if it is marking new teritory? It only has Carrion, Jackdaw, Rook, Magpie, The occasional Buzzard and Sparrowhawk to contend with!!

Dave

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back