• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice for Travel Scope and Tripod (1 Viewer)

I've compared the Nikon 50ED to the Opticron 50 MM3 (similar to MM4), both with fixed eyepieces. In comparison to my straight Nikon 50ED with 27x WF eyepiece, the view of the MM3 with the 24x eyepiece (now discontinued) was overall very similar. The most obvious differences to me were that the Opticron was not as sharp at the edges of the view (due to aberrations that I could not focus out) and that it had some blue color fringing and other CA around objects well off-axis (nearly nonexistent in the Nikon), but these differences were trivial (even to someone like me who likes to use the full view), and I don't think that I would select one scope over the other based on optics. Otherwise, the biggest differences were in size and weight. The MM4 is small, but the ED50 is definitely smaller in size and lighter weight.

In the USA, the Nikon is often available gray market or direct from Japan (without USA warranty) for half price or less. I picked up an extra angled model for under $300 recently, just in case it is discontinued in the future.

For travel, I use the Nikon 50 ED with a 27x WF eyepiece (which is older but optically the same as the MC and DS versions, yet much smaller). I've never been disappointed with its performance, even against my full-size scopes.

One option for a wide-angle fixed eyepiece for the 50ED is to adapt an astronomy eyepiece. Near the top of the Nikon subforum, you'll find a thread about how to do that very elegantly. Here's the link:
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=322702

For travel, I like the Velbon Ultra 455 legs with a Really Right Stuff BH-25 Pro ballhead (_much_ lighter than the stock Velbon head). This tripod sets up tall or short super fast, is very light and compact, is very solid when short. If you want an even more compact tripod, you could go with the Velbon Ultra 355.

--AP

Last edited:
For a portable tripod try the Manfrotto Befree Live (the one with a fluid video head). For a scope you will maybe need a longer quick release plate, the 500PLONG designed for the MVH500 head. It's perfectly compatible including the safety lock

I own one, together with a 190XPRO3 with a MVH500AH head. The 190 is more stable of course, but the Befree Live is more than usable with my 65 mm scope (Celestron Regal M2).

The trick to achieve full stability is not to tighten the X and Y locks but exploit the fluid head effect to dampen vibrations.

Try it, you might be surprised!

The head itself is excellent for its price and size, and it can be bought separately. THe reference is MVH400AH. And remember, a longer plate (500PLONG) will be a very versatile addition.

It's a pity that I can't try out the ED 50 (with the 13-40x eyepiece) alongside the MM4....then it would be easy to decide.

If you are in Christchurch UK and not NZ and you're not in a desperate hurry to buy, you could go along to one of the In Focus events at either Stanpit Marsh (15th April) or Blashford Lakes (8th May).

They often have Nikon ED 50s listed in their used equipment list and the MM4 is always in stock with them. You'd just need to call them to make sure the Nikon could be available to see at the event you choose to visit.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Hi Andrew,

Given that the magnifications are already fairly low, with a fixed eyepiece you can get the wide field you'd get at 13x but at a higher magnification. I think the 27x lens has almost as wide a field as the zoom at 13x and the 20x lens has a much wider field.

I just found this overview:

http://www.bestspottingscopereviews.com/nikon-fieldscope-eyepieces.php

At 13x, the 13 - 40x MC II zoom (and the 13 - 30x MC, too) has a field of view of 52 m @ 1000 m.

The 20x MC II fixed eyepiece offers 63 m @ 1000 m, so it both gives a larger field of view and greater magnification.

The 27x MC II fixed eyepiece yields 47 m @ 1000 m.

Comparing this to my Kowa TSN-883 with the TE-11WZ zoom eyepiece, I only get 42 m @ 1000 m there for the minimum of 25x.

My 8x42 binoculars provide 110 m @ 1000 m, at a much lower magnification of course, so that's not entirely comparable.

My impression is that the difference between 42m and 52 m @ 1000 m is quite pronounced. I guess on the ED50, I might be happy with 27x fixed with regard to magnification, but the field of view would actually be smaller than the 13 - 40x zoom's at the short end. The wide angle view of the 20x fixed is quite tempting, but on the other hand, 20x is not all that much magnification. Of course, it would depend on the environment in which one is using it ...

Regards,

Henning

Hi Andrew,

I just found this overview:

http://www.bestspottingscopereviews.com/nikon-fieldscope-eyepieces.php

At 13x, the 13 - 40x MC II zoom (and the 13 - 30x MC, too) has a field of view of 52 m @ 1000 m.

The 20x MC II fixed eyepiece offers 63 m @ 1000 m, so it both gives a larger field of view and greater magnification.

The 27x MC II fixed eyepiece yields 47 m @ 1000 m.

Comparing this to my Kowa TSN-883 with the TE-11WZ zoom eyepiece, I only get 42 m @ 1000 m there for the minimum of 25x.

My 8x42 binoculars provide 110 m @ 1000 m, at a much lower magnification of course, so that's not entirely comparable.

My impression is that the difference between 42m and 52 m @ 1000 m is quite pronounced. I guess on the ED50, I might be happy with 27x fixed with regard to magnification, but the field of view would actually be smaller than the 13 - 40x zoom's at the short end. The wide angle view of the 20x fixed is quite tempting, but on the other hand, 20x is not all that much magnification. Of course, it would depend on the environment in which one is using it ...

Regards,

Henning

There's always going to be a compromise between magnification and field of view but, given that the point of having a scope is mainly to use higher magnifications that enable you to see a lot more than binoculars, I'd personally go for more than double the magnification at the sacrifice of a bit of field of view. 13x isn't much more magnification than most binoculars and the 27x is very satisfyingly wide for its magnification.

Hi Andrew,

There's always going to be a compromise between magnification and field of view

Good point. I have to admit that my idea was in fact to use the large field of view more for searching and less for observation, which of course affects my perception of how well any compromise might work.

I recently bought a cheap Chinese 4x32 air rifle scope to see if I can mount it to my Kowa for quick target acquisition, and looking through it now, it has a fairly decent field of view - slightly larger even than my 8 x 42 binoculars - which might come handy for searching.

Quite a different corner in the compromise space, obviously :) Certainly less than optimum from a weight and bulk point of view, so it's not a "travel scope" setup by any means!

Regards,

Henning

So, I have made my purchase.

1 x Nikon ED50-A scope from Wex Photo | Video - £389.00
1 x Nikon x13-40 MC II eyepiece from Uttings - £303.98
1 x Vanguard VEO 2 265CB tripod with BH-50 head - £237.69

Total cost (including postage) - £930.67

Well, it's been exhausting. Why did I go for the Nikon? Well, as much as I'd have liked to go for the Opticron, there just doesn't seem to be the weight of favourable reviews out there to compete with the Nikon. I can't find a bad review on the Nikon except for the odd grumble regarding eye relief from those who wear glasses (I don't).

I live just down the road from Stanpit Marsh, so I will probably pop along to see if I can compare the MM4 to the ED50. I went along to the last event there, a few weeks ago, with the serious intent of buying a par of EL 8.5x42s but the guy doing the selling appeared uninterested in my custom.

The tripod is a bit of an extravagance but should provide a stable platform for the scope and possibly something bigger.

The total weight of this kit should be south of 2kg.

Well, the eyepiece from Uttings were not in stock (even though the website says it was). This is the second time I've tried to buy something from them and it turned out the good price wasn't real. I think I'll give them a miss in the future.

After a bit of a panic that I wouldn't be able to find an eyepiece, I managed to order the last one from Clifton Cameras for £349 (£50 more than Uttings).

The scope has arrived and is so small and light. I thought the box was empty at first! The case supplied with the scope is rubbish....I need to get something a bit better (or make one). The tripod arrives tomorrow.

So, I have made my purchase.

1 x Nikon ED50-A scope from Wex Photo | Video - £389.00
1 x Nikon x13-40 MC II eyepiece from Uttings - £303.98
1 x Vanguard VEO 2 265CB tripod with BH-50 head - £237.69

Total cost (including postage) - £930.67

I have been looking for a similar spotting scope for some time and have also decided to buy a (used) Nikon ED50 with the MC II eyepiece.
I hope the scope will arrive in the next few days. :)

...After a bit of a panic that I wouldn't be able to find an eyepiece, I managed to order the last one from Clifton Cameras for £349 (£50 more than Uttings).

The scope has arrived and is so small and light. I thought the box was empty at first! The case supplied with the scope is rubbish....I need to get something a bit better (or make one)...

These days, I think Fieldscope eyepieces are best ordered direct from Japan (better price and availability).

I agree about the case. It is ridiculously complex (zippers, clasps, draw strings) and not practical. You can cut and sew a zipper onto the front to make the case "stay on", and I understand that several brands of stay-on cases are available for the ED50. I prefer keeping the scope as compact and simple as possible, so mine gets a slip-on flip-down front lens cap (Quake Bushwacker Optics Cover #7, black version) which also adds rubber armor to the objective lens cell, and the rest of the body is wrapped in McNett camoform gun wrap which protects it from scuffs. For transport, the scope slips into an Op/Tech neoprene cover for some extra protection. Over the years, I've taken it on many travels/hikes/adventures without incident. Do protect it from falls, or the prism housing can crack open like an egg. I've see that happen.

I hope you like the scope. Enjoy!

--AP

Hmm. Can't find the Bushwacker in black in the UK (or Europe). Only Amber...and I don't like the amber caps. Why is everything so difficult?

I like the McNett stuff but am not too keen on camo. There is a black variant (which I prefer) but, wouldn't you know it, it's currently unavailable!

...I like the McNett stuff but am not too keen on camo. There is a black variant (which I prefer) but, wouldn't you know it, it's currently unavailable!

I don't like camo either, and the black never seems to be available. I've ended up going with the snow camo (white and black pattern).

--AP

Hmm. Can't find the Bushwacker in black in the UK (or Europe). Only Amber...and I don't like the amber caps. Why is everything so difficult?

I like the McNett stuff but am not too keen on camo. There is a black variant (which I prefer) but, wouldn't you know it, it's currently unavailable!

Had a similar search for black Bushwackers recently, with no luck in UK, so ordered amber; was pleasantly surprised how subdued the colour was though, as i was expecting a traffic light. I wondered if anyone had tried any product to take the colour down towards black though?
Got mine through ANT Supplies in Swansea via Google.

Although Amazon don't list them as a single unit, there ought to be a size in our objective lens cover range that would fit an ED50:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005XXZG6M/

These can be ordered in single units from us - £5 plus £3 P&P in the UK. Order would need to be placed by phoning the Luton office as the single units don't have a part number as such.

Cheers, Pete

Cley Spy makes (made?) a SOC for the ED50. They weren't available here in the states, but users seemed to like them.

I use the supplied case for transport, but in the field I use the little duffer butt naked. Just be careful.

Although Amazon don't list them as a single unit, there ought to be a size in our objective lens cover range that would fit an ED50:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005XXZG6M/

These can be ordered in single units from us - £5 plus £3 P&P in the UK. Order would need to be placed by phoning the Luton office as the single units don't have a part number as such.

Cheers, Pete

I think they would be perfect for my wife's Conquests (she hates the ones supplied as standard) but I like the wider rubber rand of the Bushwacker for the scope.

Had a similar search for black Bushwackers recently, with no luck in UK, so ordered amber; was pleasantly surprised how subdued the colour was though, as i was expecting a traffic light. I wondered if anyone had tried any product to take the colour down towards black though?
Got mine through ANT Supplies in Swansea via Google.

A sharpie maybe?

I was a bit concerned that I hadn't had a confirmation email from Clifton Cameras regarding the eyepiece I ordered last yesterday. The 13-40x was listed as the last one. It's now listed as available to order. I logged onto their website and the order was listed as pending, so I gave them a ring. They confirmed the order would be with me by Monday.

For a moment I was worried I would be left with a scope and tripod but no eyepiece for the foreseeable future. Clifton Cameras was the only UK site I could find listing the 13-40x as available. Maybe these are being phased out, along with the wide angle MC?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back