• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Testing NL pure

In August House of Outdoors gave me the possibility to test the new range of NL binoculars.Thanks for great service and technical background info!!
3 types were present : 8X42, 10X42 and 12X42.
Conditions of testing : warm hot and very sunny weather in a nice Dutch shopping street /interior darker environment of the shop itself.
Persons present : myself (keen birdwatcher) and my wife with her 8,5X42 EL latest model fieldpro.I have been using the Zeiss SF 10X42 during the last 2 years.

General look : these bins are beautiful !At least my taste. The central focus drive in nicely positioned.
Optics impression : microcontrast is superb (tested on lichens on the old roofs) and to my taste slightly better than the EL.I had a quite pronounced pop-up effect , the same as you have sometimes in photography.
The FOV is just mind-blowing and you get totally immersed into the field of view!!
What surprised me however , was the appearance of a light flare ring , which was more pronounced with the 10X version.This phenomenon did not disappear while directing the bin into another direction.With my wife's bin , this was not the case , and no flare was seen!.
I tried changing the eye relief by pulling out the ocular , but no big change.
The flare was really concentrated in the outer circle.I was standing in a shadowed street part and looking into all directions!
The phenomenon was not there while using the bin in the shop
Balance : superb!Center of gravity seems to have shifted to the front.
Focus drive : in the end , Swarovski managed to produce a smooth working drive.
However , the 12X bin , was not no smoothy operating , perhaps due to pre production variation?
My wife's impression : while wearing glasses , she had no problem at all , using the NL pure , the is still convinced , of all bins , SV are the best!
Conclusion ; I am convinced that Swarovski managed to unite all positives of the alpha bins in one new product : the microcontrast of the noctivid , the balance of the zeiss sf and also the increased FOV of the SF.
A last word about the accessoire that can be useful to stabilise the bin: it really works , especially with the 12X bin , however , it protrudes in the height of the bin , and I don't know how it will physically disturb while using these bins intensively.

Last edited:
Thanks to You Canip.
Actually, it's your own review, together with Jan and Gijs ones that pushed me to do the 2 hours trip to Thonon this morning.
I wanted to bring something useful to this forum (for once :-O)

Hi Rob, much appreciated along with Canilp, Jan, Gijs... and Beth!

Sounds like a great place to try them out. Correction: looks and sounds - thank you for the pictures!

Tom

I'm looking forward to my NLs. Never used them. Bought a pair of 10s. Traded my SF 10s in to be able to afford them. The SFs were the best binoculars I've ever used. period. Hoping Swarovski lives up to the hype. I believe them.
I have several Swarovkis. I own the 15x56 SLCs, the 8x25 CLs, and the BTX 85. All wonderful.

Good luck, I 'm sure they will be wonderful to use, coupled with your experience of the Zeiss SF. I am amazed that some BF members have jumped ship already and cancelled their pre orders due to initial comments posted on here. Fickle or not, who knows?

Lol :-O I was just thinking that exact same thing ! 3:)
Chosun :gh:

AND Zeiss had already used a double bridge design in their 20th century Dialyts and then gone back to single bridge in the the FLs before Sw resurrected the double bridge, apparently using the Dialyts as inspiration for the EL.

(Correct me if I am wrong about the inspiration inference in the last part of the sentence, but that is what I have heard.)

Tom

Stephanie - thanks,

Yes, I believe that is the aim - providing that 'ease of view' (tolerance for misalignment/ positioning) that the SV's are famous for. As it is a German term and somewhat of Swarovski's secret sauce design recipe, I'm not 100% that is the optical engineering translation, but it is to do with the 'edge bundle'

You would be interested in this discussion of when the term first emerged here on BF:- https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw2TmEwPfRCci8W-KI-o6kP6

Are there then mechanical design ways, etc of combating the extra stray light paths that are the compromise of this design choice ? (a mostly welcome one in practical use I find - such as in not perfectly aligned snap viewing where the rarity offers you ~0.5sec of fleeting view ! :)

For safety sake (if there is such a standard/ accepted practice) - what would be an appropriate angle from the sun to start to see it's effects in various forms of image degradation ? (given that in practice people roar around all over the sky, bins to eyes, perhaps chasing a sound, or glimpse, without always knowing exactly where the sun is - at least I do). Conversely what sort of an angle without glare/ loss of contrast/ colour, is regarded as great performance for a binocular ?

Chosun :gh:

With a camera lens you use a lens hood to obviate much of this problem. Is there are a reason why binoculars never (to my limited knowledge anyway) have slide-out hoods which you could push back in for stowing back in the case? I can see that the hoods might have to be angled rather than straight but it seems a good solution if not desperately attractive. They could be clip-on/slip-on/screw-in accessories for instance.

Last edited:
" light flare ring " on the outer area of FOV !!!!!

This is a no go for this binoculars, this issue remember me when i bought a very early sample of 8x42 SF, Huge green cast and muted view ( To my Eyes ) and crescent orange flare on the lower part of FOV, pictures posted on this forum.
At least that issue was visible close to the sun not looking everywhere like on new NL.

Now i have a cherry unit black armour 8x42 SF.....a keeper, just slight green cast and amazing flare, glare performance with nome of the faults found on my first sample.

New model new problems...........for me better to wait but i will go on September to check one sample myself.

" light flare ring " on the outer area of FOV !!!!!

This is a no go for this binoculars, this issue remember me when i bought a very early sample of 8x42 SF, Huge green cast and muted view ( To my Eyes ) and crescent orange flare on the lower part of FOV, pictures posted on this forum.
At least that issue was visible close to the sun not looking everywhere like on new NL.

Now i have a cherry unit black armour 8x42 SF.....a keeper, just slight green cast and amazing flare, glare performance with nome of the faults found on my first sample.

New model new problems...........for me better to wait but i will go on September to check one sample myself.
I experienced the same crescent orange flare on the lower part of FOV on two new samples of the Zeiss SF 8x42. I gave up on them. They just didn't work for me.

I experienced the same crescent orange flare on the lower part of FOV on two new samples of the Zeiss SF 8x42. I gave up on them. They just didn't work for me.

My 8X42 SF black body is perfect, the only complain is a dark spot on the outer side of left barrel, i don't see it unless i look for it.
This unit is so good that i don't mind this back spot.

I am shock to hear about light flare ring on the NL specially on the 10X42, During development and testing they don't take out their binocular and check it under real field conditions before selling it ?

With a camera lens you use a lens hood to obviate much of this problem. Is there are a reason why binoculars never (to my limited knowledge anyway) have slide-out hoods which you could push back in for stowing back in the case? I can see that the hoods might have to be angled rather than straight but it seems a good solution if not desperately attractive. They could be clip-on/slip-on/screw-in accessories for instance.

Seems like a good idea.

Good luck, I 'm sure they will be wonderful to use, coupled with your experience of the Zeiss SF. I am amazed that some BF members have jumped ship already and cancelled their pre orders due to initial comments posted on here. Fickle or not, who knows?

I’m more amazed that some people have traded what they call the best binoculars they’ve ever had, for a sight unseen unit…

I`m a little in awe of those who have opted to get an NL before ever trying one, the opinions of forum members is good reading but I`ll wait til I have a good chance to try them and the new 32mm SF.

I`m with Globetrotter on how well the SF manages stray light, If the NL really does have a glare problem I`m saddened at the price.

I’m more amazed that some people have traded what they call the best binoculars they’ve ever had, for a sight unseen unit…

I think it is the pursuit of perfection. Or otherwise known as looking for a piece of gear that will change your life. There is nothing perfect and no piece of gear (binocular in this instance) will change your life. The pursuit might change you in the long run, but the change will cost a lot of money, expend a lot of life's energy, and you will be left with the realization that nothing is perfect. I agree with James statement.

I think it is the pursuit of perfection. Or otherwise known as looking for a piece of gear that will change your life. There is nothing perfect and no piece of gear (binocular in this instance) will change your life. The pursuit might change you in the long run, but the change will cost a lot of money, expend a lot of life's energy, and you will be left with the realization that nothing is perfect. I agree with James statement.

Yes, but on the condition one can afford it......

Savings on the bank with (in the Netherlands) negative interest or the best of the best one can buy now in 42.

Tough choice:-C:-C

Jan

tenex said:
I have doubts about Omid's theories also, but when I performed his experiment with a camera I found that I was viewing distant objects with the bino focused to form an image at about 2m.
A binocular is an afocal device. You can't project its image on to a plane surface (film or sensor) as you can with a camera lens.
I know that. To be entirely correct I should have said "I was viewing distant objects with the bino focused for my eye to form an image at an apparent distance of about 2m."

Thanks Alex for the reminder of Modern Photography. I don't recall paying any attention to that figure at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back