• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss in Wal-Mart. Steiner in Sam's. (1 Viewer)

"half pentagonal and Schmidt design roof prism" sounds like it might be something special, but it's just an odd way of describing a Schmidt-Pechan roof prism, the most commonly used type in roof prism binoculars. Meopta products are made in the Czech Republic.

Apparently Cabela's new top of the line roof prisms are made by Meopta. 10 x 42, 30.5 oz., FOV 330.' $799.95. Prisms are described exactly as above but no mention of "phase coating." New master catalog says they are made by one of Europes largest optics companies. No other sizes are listed with these new bins. They have a soft green rubber coating over aluminum alloy and superficially resemble Swarovski's.

Last edited:
Pinewood said:
Meopta, which has to be at least fifty years old, make their Meostar binoculars with phase coating, according to their web site:
http://www.meopta.cz/index.php?id=155&lang=en
Their optics for photographic enlargers were first rate, but I have no experience of their binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Arthur,

I used a Meopta 35mm and 2.25x2.25 enlarger for years, and later took the head off and turned it into a great copy stand. Their optics were quite good, almost the equal of Schneider. I'd be quite interested to hear about their current binoculars and scopes. I'm not sure they market much in the US.

Regards,
Ed

Pinewood said:
Meopta, which has to be at least fifty years old, make their Meostar binoculars with phase coating, according to their web site:
http://www.meopta.cz/index.php?id=155&lang=en
Their optics for photographic enlargers were first rate, but I have no experience of their binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

I checked the website and looked at the 6 bins listed. Most of them have rather wide FOV's and all have long eye relief. Even the 10x's, both 42 and 50, have 330' FOV. The 7 x 42 and 8 x 42 each have 411.' The 7 x 50 is 375' and the 8 x 56 is 333.' Close focus is 10' on most of them, 15' on the 8 x 56. Something to keep in mind.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back