• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audubon HR/5 (1 Viewer)

Mikbul

Mikbul
I Just picked up a pair of Audubon 804 HR/5's and looking for a hard case. All in all in good condition and great views. Always wanted a pair since years ago working at a camera store and we gave a pair away in a raffle. I looked through them and was amazed at the clarity and field of view, but can't remember what example they were. Will the 820 hard case fit?
S/N 4626081
Multicoated optics on left cover

Attachments

• IMG_2813.JPG
    IMG_2813.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2815.JPG
    IMG_2815.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Hi Mikbul,

That's a nice HR/5 Audubon, however, from the pictures the S/N seems to be 942240. That would indicate it was made in 1994 (the first two digits) and is now 21 yrs. old. It originally came with a soft, black field bag, but will fit into the hard case that came with the original 820. However, I don't know if the same case is still used with the current 820 model.

Enjoy,
Ed

820 Case

Hi Mikbul,

That's a nice HR/5 Audubon, however, from the pictures the S/N seems to be 942240. That would indicate it was made in 1994 (the first two digits) and is now 21 yrs. old. It originally came with a soft, black field bag, but will fit into the hard case that came with the original 820. However, I don't know if the same case is still used with the current 820 model.

Enjoy,
Ed

Swift sent me a new strap at no charge and Land, Sea& Sky is sending me an 820 case for $15.00 so we'll see if it fits.
Mikbul

Here's the original hard case, I sold it along with a pristine 804 MC two weeks ago. My favorite for casual stargazing. B&H used to sell the case by itself for $75.

Attachments

• Swift 804 MC Audubon and case 003.jpg
    Swift 804 MC Audubon and case 003.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 269
Here's the original hard case, I sold it along with a pristine 804 MC two weeks ago. My favorite for casual stargazing. B&H used to sell the case by itself for $75.

Sorry to be a stickler for details, brother Brock, but the original 1994 accessory was a padded 807C Cordura case. I suspect you had an earlier hard case, perhaps from the mid-1980s for the 804R. The 753C leather case back then was really beautiful, but somewhat different.

(Incidentally, the 717CC canvas case is a perfect fit for the Nikon 8x32SE.)

Ed

Attachments

• Swift HR:5 1993.jpg
    Swift HR:5 1993.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Swift Accessories 1993.jpg
    Swift Accessories 1993.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 237
Sorry to be a stickler for details, brother Brock, but the original 1994 accessory was a padded 807C Cordura case. I suspect you had an earlier hard case, perhaps from the mid-1980s for the 804R. The 753C leather case back then was really beautiful, but somewhat different.

(Incidentally, the 717CC canvas case is a perfect fit for the Nikon 8x32SE.)

Ed

Mine wasn't made in 1994, in fact I'm surprised that Swift was still making MC 804s in the 90s rather than FMC, my MC 804 was made in 1988.

Brother Brock

Please try our fine wines....
Three Brothers Winery

Mine wasn't made in 1994, in fact I'm surprised that Swift was still making MC 804s in the 90s rather than FMC, my MC 804 was made in 1988.

Brother Brock

Please try our fine wines....
Three Brothers Winery

The OP's binocular was made in 1994, and mine in 1995. The number of lens surfaces with multi-coating increased from the original 804R (c. 1985-87) to the the last MC model produced (c. 1995-6). Thereafter, everything was FMC. Still, differences between MC models were apparent, as the number of multi-coated surfaces increased in at least three stages. Yours might or might not have been as multicoated as the OP's.

The 804ED, to my knowledge, was always FMC from 1993 onward, but the coatings may have been improved at least once before they were discontinued in 1999. In 2000 the Model 820 emerged.

Brother Ed

PS. Looking at the photos more closely, the green and magenta reflections of the OP's specimen correspond with mine. Yours more closely resemble the clear liquid blue reflections of the 1985 804R.

Last edited:
Swift Audubon8.5x44 HR

I have used these for over 25 years and ive even tested much more expensive pairs,but i find the Audubon are as good as any.It maybe that in certain light conditions,they miss the fine detail of the tail feathers of the Short-toed Treecreeper or something,but in general birding they are excellent.
A good light gathering ratio of 5.17 is as good if not better than most others,of course with the extra .5 magnification compared to the usual 8 times.
By the way,if anyone happens across a pair for sale anywhere like EBay for example,with this number-8 8 1 0 6 4,they were MINE,stolen out of my boot when broken into in 1995.Please inform.

Last edited:
I have used these for over 25 years and ive even tested much more expensive pairs,but i find the Audubon are as good as any.It maybe that in certain light conditions,they miss the fine detail of the tail feathers of the Short-toed Treecreeper or something,but in general birding they are excellent.
A good light gathering ratio of 5.17 is as good if not better than most others,of course with the extra .5 magnification compared to the usual 8 times.
By the way,if anyone happens across a pair for sale anywhere like EBay for example,with this number-8 8 1 0 6 4,they were MINE,stolen out of my boot when broken into in 1995.Please inform.

Detailed report but I would like ask some more questions, if I may.

Do you see wear eyeglasses? If they are for myopia, do you see the entire FOV with the rubber eyecups rolled down? If not, what do you see?

What is your inter-pupillary distance, if known? If you read my earlier posts on the Audubon HR/5, you will see why I am asking these questions and which field glasses I use for comparison.

Many thanks for your attention.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back