• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Excursion EX series (1 Viewer)

Read the Bushnell web site in amongst the marketing blurb I noticed something interesting:

http://www.bushnell.com/general/binoculars_excursion_24-3608.cfm?section=General Use

Under 25 oz., and here to crush everything in its class. Not just wicked looking, our new Excursion EX has the magnum-powered brightness and clarity to blow the eyecups off any competitor in its price range. Fully multi-coated optics and high-performance Bak-4 prisms with a PC-3® phase coating stretch available light and produce viewing system is contained in a lightweight, double-bridge housing that's nitrogen-purged and fully sealed against all forms of moisture, then wrapped in rubber armor. Its sleek lines and balanced feel are enhanced by a rugged, yet lightweight composite chassis.

It's that last bit "lightweight composite chassis". I think this is the first non-metal open-bridge/open-hinge enclosure I've seen. The others (Bushnell Elite, Hawke Frontier ED, Promaster ELX ED, Swaro EL, ...) are all magnesium.

Tero: were the hinge components (the bits that connect the two barrels) made of metal? I would presume so and the barrels are probably plastic (like the Diamondback).

I could see a little metal in the hinges. Box is gone today, so I can't check.

It was mainly the 8x36 format and compactness that attracted me. The open frame was pretty useless in the small size.

I could see a little metal in the hinges. Box is gone today, so I can't check.

Thanks Tero. That makes sense. I think only metal (of some sort ... Al or Mg) is stiff enough for the hinges but the barrels are probably plastic. Rather like the Diamondback (under all that rubber armor!).

The store looked at it and decided the diopter was a manufacturing error. Still, I am getting the regular 8x42 Excursion to replace it.

Ah, the Bushnell Diamondback 8x42 ;)

BTW, I checked my Bushnell Excursion 10x42 and the diopter setting is offset on that has an offset. It doesn't slip or move on it's down and has solid endstops but the zero point (by my corrected eyesight) is not at the fiducual.

The Diamondback 8x42 (made at the same ODM) has a smaller offset to the positive.

I think I prefer the ergonomics of the Diamondback to the Excursion. Especially the lugs for mounting the straps. The Diamondback has them nicely rounded with armour but the quick disconnect (which I never disconnect!) dig into my hands. I have a similar issue with the Elite. Lugs would be much nicer!

Why not another EX 8x36?

You do like the compact but in #9 you say "If you really hate the open bridge, I would go to the 8x42 regular style."

You don't like the open-bridge?

Well, we had our moments together, but I would like someone..something more suitable in the woods in my hands. Plus I am stuck on this 8x and 400 ft fov concept of mine for a view, both fit the bill. I now will have a total of 4 Bushnells with around 400ft fov.

The lugs of the Excursions are just silly. Nobody needs anything but the standard strap attachments.

Last edited:
I went back to that Sportsman's warehouse today. I had to buy some other stuff, but looked at the optics again. I think Tero is on to something with the diopter. The 8x36 EX I'd been looking at last week was all messed up with its diopter adjustment. The optics were still fine and the diopter wold still focus, but it had shifted from being in focus at just a tiny bit + diopter to need ing to be at +3 to focus. I know the life of a display binocular is a tough one, but the other glass I had looked at was still OK.

Now a bit of correction on my last post. The focus locks with a motion like the diopter adjustment on the center focus wheel. Posting from memory mislead me. Tero's right the diopter is the standard sort of a right side adjustment.

If not for that diopter, I may have bought one for jollies. My curiosity is now satisfied.

I got a set.

I like the smaller Open Bridge design. I've been liking the full size open bridge bins I've been using but was a bit skeptical about the smaller ones. Nice hand grip. Fingers fit nicely around the bin and the bridge sections are nicely shaped so they don't dig into the hands.

The box, case and little bag the bins come in are nice for gifts. Bushnell learning from the Elite.

But the down side is the optics aren't as good as the optics in "regular" Excursion or the Vortex Diamondback (same/similar optics). Much more CA including in regular use in the center of the image (perhaps the worst I've seen in a roof?). Fair amount of stray light too (not as bad a the Promaster 8x32 but getting up there) worse than the Diamondback 8x42 by a little bit. The combination of the two effects meant I had to return it.

Say compared to the (cheaper on sale) Pentax HS 8x36 the Excursion EX 8x36 bin is worse optically. The Pentax is less blue in color. Sharper. More contrast. And controls stray light very well (perhaps due to it's narrower FOV: 6.5 degrees rather than 8 degrees. It's ergonomics are very good too though the Pentax is longer (higher f/number objectives may be helping the view). Perhaps the best $200 roof out there right now (overall I liked them better than the Diamondback).

Last edited:
Yes, thanks, always good to have info on the Pentax 8x models. The Bushnells wre attractive to me for wide fields. I did not suffer from the CA, I thought it no worse than Nikon Monarchs. But I compromised, went for the 8x Vipers as a pair was available. Less fov, better optics overall.

My best 8x are still the Bushnell Legend 8x42 porros.

??
Did you read the thread?
The diopter adjustment probably came loose. I could only use them with the diopter near the end. They went back.

Its a shame there are still such obvious quality control issues with these bins. I found something similar with the Cabelas Alpha Extremes (similar to the Excursion EX). It would be nice if someone could market a reliable, waterproof roof prism bin that offered good to excellent optical performance in this price range. The closest thing I can think of, for now, is the Vortex Diamondback.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back