• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible? (2 Viewers)

Thank's Paul for your clarification.

P.S. At least I wasn't in panic mode. :eek!: I just was curious why he wasn't mentioned. But now clearly shown evidence by you.;)

Great job, Paul! :t:

Onwards, can we (please) keep this thread on its track, and focus on its original intent, to find and solve, the names listed by James (the 'Mission' itself). For anyone (like myself) who is trying to keep track of the various developments in this (to say the least) looooooong thread it's tricky, close to impossible, to keep track of it all, if, and when, we're lead astray, on various sidetracks, over and over again. It isn't too complicated to start a new thread, on any other new topic, is it?

Either way, I'm not (truly) complaining ;), I'm glad we're all into it, that anyone and everyone still keeps digging into all of these, and those, various obscure names, with such enthusiasm, and I sure wouldn't want it in any other way, such activities are nothing but desired. Keep it up!

Thereby, let's return to the unsolved "T. [Trochilus] Georginæ" BOURCIER 1847, alt. "T. [Trochilus] Mariæ" BOURCIER & MULSANT 1846, a k a Le C. [Colibrie] de Marie (in French], as in Mark's #522, or even the generic name Bathilda REICHENBACH 1862 (as dealt with in #499, 508-509) ... or any other of the many, many remaing ones, from James's first List/s (see post #461, and subsequent posts, of course).

Any progress?

Björn

PS. Also keep track of the frequent updates in thread BOW Key.

I agree it is hard to follow. But somehow an issue of the initial design of this thread. If you have that many open questions in one thread this will of course lead to the fact that side tracks will open as the focus is not just on one topic. In case of Wilsons as they are mentioned in OD of caroli. Therefore I think....

Note this same record shows that Edward had a son Charles to his second wife Sarah. Could this be the origin of the name T. caroli?
P

... is a very valid point as in the collection of Edward Wilson.

Bourcier named many Wilson family members. Why not Charles Wilson?

In case of georginae I am not 100 % sure who the T.B. is.

(fait partie de la collection de T.B.)

I don't think Thomas Belleby as I miss the W. But might be a typo in PZL as it is J.B. (Jules Bourcier) in Revue zoologique.

Last edited:
Mark, I don't follow ...

The dear old Key (of 9th of May) told us just about the same:
urica
Etymology undiscovered; perhaps from the local name Pirik on Java; "Spec. 2. Merops Urica mihi. M. olivaceo-viridis nitens, ...
What's the new view-point ... ?

I still do not have access to BOW ...
Mark, who does? ;)

And even if so, even if we had access, it wouldn't help, or change much, as the dear old (HBW Alive) Key hasn't moved in with Cornell's Birds of the World yet, right now there is no BoW Key (at least not dealing with Etymology), the Key itself is in transit, in limbo ... and, as I understand it, so it will be (probably) for months and months. We will simply have to wait. Like the say; patience is a virtue (even if ever soooooo boring).

At this point, in this thread, if we're to solve James's last remaining ones before then, we're stuck with the attached PDF in post #461 (as well as subsequent posts, of course). And the updates in the more recent BOW Key thread (here).

Keep at it!

/B

Horsfield's urica (in Latin)

Inspired by Mark's latest post, I also gave Horsfield's urica yet another go [link to OD in post #383 (with some earlier unfounded guesses of mine ;))], ... and this time I think that I might actually have found something (even if I don't understand much of it).

If we look in Holyoake's Latin Dictionarium ..., the same work that helped us find and solve Linnaeus's velia a couple of weeks ago (in posts #516-517), we might, possibly (?) find a solution also on this one ...

In this hard-to-read book, from 1639 (here), we find the following word/entry (my blue), and excuse any misinterpreted letters:
Eruca, ... urica, quod ignitæ sit virtutis, & in cibo ...
... or whatever it says, and onwards ... !?

Followed by some words in Old-school English:
"A palmer worine, also the be[unreadable] rocket. Hor."
"Hor.," for Horace ... with a rocket? :eek!:

Also Matthiae Martini's somewhat later Lexicon... (from 1698) lists this word (in the exact same way) here:
Urica, vitium fatorum, Plin. lib. 18, cap. 17, Commune ...
Either way, apparently, whatever it means, there seem to be such a word (or/alt. an inflected form of it), in Latin!

Apparently used by Classic authors, like Horace, and/or/alt. Pliny, and Theophrastus.

If Horsfield would have known of this word two hundred years later, in 1822, is (of course) a whole different thing. But I wouldn't be surprised if a scholar like Thomas Horsfield would have been familiar with it.

However; does either one of them make any sense? On a Bee-eater?

If not, simply ignore this post.

Björn
-

Last edited:
A Palmer's worine I think is the palm frond a palmer, traveller to the holy land would carry? When I searched google for urica our robot overlord thought I meant Eureka! Which means I found it? Horsfield was an American? Thank you Björn for the attachment. This feels so underground like passing Samizadt behind the iron curtain.

"Merops urica"

As the diet of today's Chestnut-headed Bee-eater species Merops leschenaulti (like most Bee-eaters) seems to be flying/winged insects, primarily; honeybees, wasps, moths, or winged termites or ditto ants, but also dragonflies, butterflies, crickets, locusts and grasshoppers, does anyone know if the Javan/Indonesian ssp. M. l. quinticolor have a preference for an urica, or any "caterpillar, canker-worm" ... ?

Or would such an allusion (as in a possible phagonym) necessarily have resulted in an uric/a/o/-vorus (or however it would have turned out) alt./or a ditto -phagus, etc., etc. ...?

If not; it was worth a try.

/B

It would be interesting to learn what the Javanese name Pirik means. I had always assumed it was onomatopoeic, but perhaps it stands for "caterpillar-eater"?!

Followed by some words in Old-school English:
"A palmer worine, also the be[unreadable] rocket. Hor."
"Hor.," for Horace ... with a rocket? :eek!:
I'd read the original image as "A palmer worme, also the hearbe rocket.", where I suspect 'worme' is an old way to write for 'worm', 'palmer worme' may refer to a worm found on palm trees, and 'hearbe' is an old way to write 'herb'.
The "hearbe rocket" = rocket, roquette, ruchetta, rucola, etc. is Eruca vesicaria / E. sativa, an edible plant commonly used, i.a., in Italian cuisine.

It would be interesting to learn what the Javanese name Pirik means. I had always assumed it was onomatopoeic, but perhaps it stands for "caterpillar-eater"?!

I doubt that it's even onomatopoetic, because I found this page Systomus rubripinnis (Valenciennes, 1842) online. It's a fish, and the page claims it's called "Pirik" (and several other things) in Javanese.

Yes, this is totally unhelpful in determining the meaning of "Pirik" in Javanese. But it certainly reduces the possibilities. It would probably be more practical to find somebody who speaks Javanese and ask them.

Merops urica

In this Indonesian-English Dictionary we find one possible clue, that might, maybe could be somewhat related to any Bee-eater, catching bees and other flying insects:
Pirik II (M) memirik to pinch, squeeze
With such an interpretation it could, possibly indicate that the Javanese locals called it something, in the meaning the pincher, the one who snatch, like snap (the snapper), the "bee-snapper" (or a "fly-catcher"). The one catching, pinching (bees and other flying insects).

However, I doubt it has anything to do with: "Pirik III" ;) I've never seen any Bee-eater perform such an act. [Not even on a Red Snapper].

Either way; how this would, or if it even could, be turned into urica is far, far beyond my understanding.

Take it for what it´s worth. If anything at all.

Björn

PS. It is not to confuse with the same name, of the recently described beetle "Cregya urica Opitz n. sp." (from October 2019, here, pp.70-72):
"Etymology. – The trivial name, urica, constitutes a noun in apposition and refers to the type locality."
... with the Holotype from "URICA, (Venezuela)".

That's too, too far away from Java, Indonesia.
---

Last edited:
Merops urica

Reichenbach (1851) says: HORSFIELD beschrieb im Jahre 1821 ... seinen Merops Urica mit Anführung des javanischen Namen ,,Pirik" aus Java, ..." (here, pp.63-64, with "Meropinae" starting on p.45), all in German. If of any help/use?

If the bird eats moths and butterflies it likely eats their larva.
Regarding the possible connection to its food preferences, in Kelaart's Prodromus Faunæ Zeylanicæ (from 1852, here), he wrote (about its synonym quinticolor): "They are sometimes seen in small flocks of six or eight searching for food, which chiefly consist of Coleopterus insects." (i.e. Beetles?)

Wouldn't that be an odd diet for a (or any) Bee-eater (hunting mainly beetles, on the ground, alt. flying ones) ... ?!

/B

I doubt that it's even onomatopoetic, because ...
Though, apparently there is also a Sundanese/Javanese word; Chĕurik, meaning: to cry, to weep, (here), but maybe it doesn't mean anything at all, if taken apart ... ?

Either way, in Hoogerswerf's paper, On the Ornithology of Rhino Sanctuary Udjung Kulon in West Java (Indonesia), from 1970, published in the Natural History Bulletin of the Siam Society 23, here (pp.473-475), we find three local Bee-eaters (incl.the ssp. quinticolor), with sound descriptions and all, though neither one is (in my ears) described as sounding similar to anything like "uric"/a ... (depending on the musicality of the listener, I suppose, which in my case is just about tone-deaf).

Could the Javanese ssp. (Horsfield's former "urica") possibly be interpreted as having a particular crying, weeping voice?

Just an(other) idea ...

It would probably be more practical to find somebody who speaks Javanese and ask them.
True, Paul, that's an even better idea, but the tricky part would be finding such a person. Here on BirdForum they seem just about as rare as any Bee-eater ... ;)

/B
--

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back