• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

orioles and Bird of Prey Oklahoma USA (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
I'm curious of the first two photos is of a juvenile Baltimore or another type..Orchard? The female Baltimore has no black under beak..so curious of this one. I have several different ones like this at my feeder..all eating oranges or from the Hummingbird feeders. My husband bought me an Oriole feeder today that I was very excited getting. Too Cool!

The third photo..this bird I see maybe once or twice a day high up in the air flying over. I noticed the white bars under wings..I haven't seen anything like this before. It hasn't flown low to get a better a photo ..unlike the Coopers Hawk that will fly thru my backyard non shallant like....grrrrr.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• oriole5-13-09.jpg
    oriole5-13-09.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 114
  • OrioleC.jpg
    OrioleC.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 90
  • unidentified5-13-09.jpg
    unidentified5-13-09.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 119
the first two pictures are of a first summer male Orchard Oriole and the third picture is a Common Nighthawk.

Nighthawks are not raptors, but Caprimuligidae and are insectivores.

I agree with Common nighthawk. Those large white spots on the wings, the mechanical bzzzzzzrp call, and the choppy haphazard flight are things you should look for. Last summer was a really memorable and fun summer for me and every time I see a picture of these guys it reminds of that summer because we spent almost every night fishing at the river, just having fun with a bunch of friends and the nighthawk would fly around and call letting us know it was time to fish :t:

Umm, on second thought I'll go with Baltimore Oriole. The black on the head in the second picture is starting to molt in on the sides. The color is to bright for Orchard. As Microtus pointed out, the bill should be thinner and more curved for Orchard.

Ok, what about the black dot on upper chest? anything? I have had the Orchard orioles here too so had just wondered if I was getting the female or juveniles mixed up.

Cool on the Nighthawk..a first for me. :)

I'm really having a hard time with telling the Orchard Oriole Females from the Baltimore females or juveniles of each. Below is a photo of the orchard oriole in my yard..I posted another photo not too long ago of it also. I have added another photo here of a bird in question similar to the others above. Any ideas?

Attachments

• OrchardOriole5-14-09.jpg
    OrchardOriole5-14-09.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Oriole5-14-09A.jpg
    Oriole5-14-09A.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 72
I go with Baltimore oriole and common nighthawk. The bird is too orange for a juvie orchard and not orange enough for an adult.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back