• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (14 Viewers)

work party on Flashes

First of all and most importantly, many thanks to everyone who turned up today.
I would say that this was probably the heaviest work we have ever undertaken. In fact there were plenty of stiff backs at the end, but it will all be worthwhile come next spring.
It was great to see so many people, considering all the absentees.
The crew
thanks to the two newbies Phil H W and Rich (skeleton man), hope we haven't worked you too hard.
Also thanks as always to the regulars: - Ian (muntjac) & Matt , Si & Guy(hairy birder and not so hairy), Tim & Mary (birder Glady's), DW (woodchat), SyV, GP(Biking Birder), PA (lesser Kestrel), G Lab, PQ, MY and Derek,

Thanks also to Claire (Ian's wife for the welsh cakes:eat:) and all the other cakes and goodies.
work pics later

Attachments

• 1the crewDSCF8877 (2).jpg
    1the crewDSCF8877 (2).jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 2crewDSCF8881 (2).jpg
    2crewDSCF8881 (2).jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 3crewDSCF8880 (2).jpg
    3crewDSCF8880 (2).jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 130
Great efforts one and all! :t:

I have been haunted by those bright yellow boots all week on Shetland and there they are staring out of the computer back at me again!! :eek!:

Work Party

Hi John,

Thanks as usual for a very enjoyable and worthwhile work party. :t:

Can I just take this opportunity to advertise some work parties that will be taking place over the next few months at the John Bennett
Wetland Reserve. For those not familiar with the reserve, its located between Pershore and Upton-upon-Severn next to the village of Birlingham.
Streetmap:-

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=393500&y=243500&z=120&sv=birlingham&st=3&tl=Map+of+Birlingham,+Worcestershire+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

We plan to meet up every 3rd Sunday of the month, starting in 2 weeks time on Sunday October 20th at 10AM.

The first work party aims to make a start on clearing the islands and back shoreline of the encroaching weeds and scrub, with a view
to improving the habitat for overwintering wildfowl and wading birds (couple of pics attached to whet your appetites).

If anyone fancies helping out, or would like more details, please send me a private message.

Cheers now,
Si Border

[P.s Apologies for hijacking this forum] :-C

Attachments

• Bennett 1.JPG
    Bennett 1.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Bennett 4.JPG
    Bennett 4.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 82
That looks like a great place...good luck.

Was that a pic from this year.....that weed looks familiar...lol...and those Cows get around as well.

Keith :t:

the work today

17 of us today
The rationale behind today's work:
Firstly, every few years the shallow feeding channels silt up, so to counteract this we have to physical remove it. But rather than pile up it up aimlessly, we used it to create more breeding and feeding areas.
This was achieved by wheelbarrowing it to the far end of the spit in front of the hide. Here it was initially poured into the water (south side), but to create a long 'arm' we had to build a bridge. This new 'arm' will increase the available shore line and breeding areas. It will also help shelter the shallows from the cold easterly wind. This in turn will provide suitable invertebrate breeding habitat, benefiting the waders and their chicks.
A smaller arm was created half way down the spit, which also shored up the eroding south bank of the spit.
secondly, the 'delta' (area to the right of the hide) has many narrow steep sided channels, which are mostly unseen from the hide. Today we angled the front edge of the main channel, to enhance the views, but equally as important, this will allow salt marsh plants to colonise.
The diggings were again used to firm up the new 'arm'.
Two large 'holes' were dug in the 'saucer' north side of spit and the spoil was added to the 'arm. These holes were made to extend the ideal feeding conditions (by varying the depths of water), that this area offers during the wader chick rearing period. This was also done in the delta zone.
pics
1. Before work
2. after work to left is the 'saucer' , then to right of it, is the spit. New arms on the right side of 'spit'. middle front is the 'delta' and its channels.
3. The north delta before work.
4. the delta after work.
5. the new angled delta channel after work

Sy also cleaned out and put metal hole covers on several nest boxes.
B :)John

Attachments

• 5a B 4 wrkDSCF8864 (2).JPG
    5a B 4 wrkDSCF8864 (2).JPG
    124 KB · Views: 67
  • 5B aftawrkDSCF8884 (2).jpg
    5B aftawrkDSCF8884 (2).jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 6a B4 Wrk north delta DSCF8867 (2).JPG
    6a B4 Wrk north delta DSCF8867 (2).JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 6baftadelta diggingDSCF8891 (2).JPG
    6baftadelta diggingDSCF8891 (2).JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 7new angled channelsDSCF8886 (2).jpg
    7new angled channelsDSCF8886 (2).jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Here are a couple of photos from today. Of the seven boxes I managed top access, five had been used and one appeared to have been deserted in the early stages of nest building. I regret having mounted these on hawthorn trees and near sloe, bramble and nettle patches. I'll wear long sleeves for round two.

Attachments

• WP1.jpg
    WP1.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 88
  • WP2.jpg
    WP2.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 87
  • SW1.jpg
    SW1.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 70
birds during the work

A good variety of birds appeared.
A very late Hobby chased dragonflies for several minutes around the Flashes. A peregrine dive-bombed a buzzard.
The first kestrel I have seen for a couple of months flew through.
Several groups of meadow pipits flew around us, several dropping into the grassy areas at least 30 birds seen. Also over were a few skylarks and my first redpoll of the autumn was in the silver birches.
Around the lagoons were: 5 ruff, dunlin, 8 snipe, common sand, 20 curlew 40 lapwing , 60+ teal and 30 shoveler. also 2 grey wags landed on the hide.

The rationale behind today's work:
Firstly, every few years the shallow feeding channels silt up, so to counteract this we have to physical remove it. But rather than pile up it up aimlessly, we used it to create more breeding and feeding areas.
This was achieved by wheelbarrowing it to the far end of the spit in front of the hide. Here it was initially poured into the water (south side), but to create a long 'arm' we had to build a bridge. This new 'arm' will increase the available shore line and breeding areas. It will also help shelter the shallows from the cold easterly wind. This in turn will provide suitable invertebrate breeding habitat, benefiting the waders and their chicks.
A smaller arm was created half way down the spit, which also shored up the eroding south bank of the spit.
secondly, the 'delta' (area to the right of the hide) has many narrow steep sided channels, which are mostly unseen from the hide. Today we angled the front edge of the main channel, to enhance the views, but equally as important, this will allow salt marsh plants to colonise.
The diggings were again used to firm up the new 'arm'.
Two large 'holes' were dug in the 'saucer' north side of spit and the spoil was added to the 'arm. These holes were made to extend the ideal feeding conditions (by varying the depths of water), that this area offers during the wader chick rearing period. This was also done in the delta zone.
pics
1. Before work
2. after work to left is the 'saucer' , then to right of it, is the spit. New arms on the right side of 'spit'. middle front is the 'delta' and its channels.
3. The north delta before work.
4. the delta after work.
5. the new angled delta channel after work

Sy also cleaned out and put metal hole covers on several nest boxes.
B :)John

Looks very nice indeed.looks like i got out of some hard work today you all deserved your cake and cuppa today well done all .your work is very much appreciated :t:

great crested grebe from this afternoon.
kingy x
little grebe

Attachments

• gcg 1 uw DSC_0754.jpg
    gcg 1 uw DSC_0754.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 94
  • KF2 DSC_0811.jpg
    KF2 DSC_0811.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Kf 4 uw DSC_0840.jpg
    Kf 4 uw DSC_0840.jpg
    879 KB · Views: 94