• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pike? John Redmond Reservoir, Kansas (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
I'm not a fisherman but this probably is obvious to someone who is such. The flood gates where opened this last weekend at John Redmond Reservoir in Kansas, USA and large numbers of these were in the inundated grass along the shore and taking shelter in a narrow inlet just downstream of the dam. My guess was Pike, maybe drawn through the gates from the deep, cool waters at the base of the dam. Just curious to know. ;)

(That is foam, not ice, from the nitrates from agricultural runoff)

Attachments

• NT4A0136.jpg
    NT4A0136.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 77
  • NT4A0138.jpg
    NT4A0138.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 55
  • NT4A0141.jpg
    NT4A0141.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 71
  • NT4A0156.jpg
    NT4A0156.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 93
This is from Wiki, it's probably worth reporting the sighting unless these are captive bred for release which from the number of them is possible, even likely?

' They are found throughout the lower Mississippi River Valley and Gulf Coast states of the Southern United States and Mexico as far south as Veracruz, encompassing Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Florida, and Georgia.[26] Reports suggest alligator gar were once numerous throughout much of their northern range, but valid sightings today are rare, and may occur once every few years.[7] Records of historical distribution indicate alligator gar once inhabited regions as far north as central Kansas, Nebraska, Ohio, Iowa, and west-central Illinois, where they are now listed as extirpated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I now believe from what I have been able to dig out is that they are Gar and probably Short Nosed Gar - Lepisosteus platostomus. It is hard to find any info other than that the fishermen trying for Flathead Catfish don't care for them. From that though I found out that "Gar" in general without specific species are very common in the Neosho River. Apparently Gar in general like fast water to spawn in.

Gar can really work over a lake's population of fish and fowl....a duckling wouldn't have much of a chance around those fish.

Shortnose gar (Lepisosteus platostomus)
Spots are anterior and few on the caudal fin (tail)
Length of the mouth structure in comparison to the head.
Relatively clean look of the dorsal body

I grew up on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, seen them almost daily for years as a kid

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back