• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fluid head for 2.5 kg scope (1 Viewer)

Boogieshrew

Hi,
I’m looking cf tripod and I think I’m decided on https benro-mach3-tma27c legs but I am wondering if a Benro S2 video head or a Manfrotto Befree Live Fluid Head which are both very lightweight are up to the job of handling a 2.5kg Nikon EDG 85mm scope.

What do you think?

Any other suggestions at around 2kgs for the set up and about £300?

Thanks

Looking at the spec the BeFree supports 8.8 lbs and costs about $99 in the US. I went a couple of steps up and got the MHV500AH which supports 11 lbs. Cost was an extra $30. My 500 specs at 2 lbs weight, the BeFree weighs in at 0.8 lbs, so a 1.2 lb difference. I honestly do not notice the weight. My 500 is very smooth in all movements,but have never tried a BeFree so cannot make a comparison.

Hi,

the S2 will be quite overloaded at 2.5kg. The Beefree Live is specced for 4kg max load, so it might actually work, but I would still recommend the 500AH because it has a counterbalance for 2.5kg and can be set up so your scope will stay put in every position but can still be moved smoothly with very little force.

Joachim

Hi Joachim, I suspect your right about the S2. But as for the Befree Live , I checked them both out in a shop yesterday and the S2 was way more sturdy than the Befree. I’m was not at all convinced by the 4kg claim.
I’ll see if I can see the AH500 in the flesh next weekend.
The search continues. ��

I should have a look at the S4 because I thought the S2 is well built but probable not big enough for my EDG.

Last edited:
I’ll see if I can see the AH500 in the flesh next weekend.
The search continues. ��
I should have a look at the S4 because I thought the S2 is well built but probable not big enough for my EDG.

Hi Martin ..... I highly recommend the MVH500AH Manfrotto. I use it with my Nikon EDG 65 with the Manfrotto MPMXPROA3US(3 section) monopod. I know the 500AH is a little over kill for the EDG 65 but it’s large mounting plate is the perfect fit for the long base of the Nikon EDG 65/85 scopes. It’s operation of use is easy/quick and provides a very large/stable base. .....gwen

Hi Martin ..... I highly recommend the MVH500AH Manfrotto. I use it with my Nikon EDG 65 with the Manfrotto MPMXPROA3US(3 section) monopod. I know the 500AH is a little over kill for the EDG 65 but it’s large mounting plate is the perfect fit for the long base of the Nikon EDG 65/85 scopes. It’s operation of use is easy/quick and provides a very large/stable base. .....gwen

Hi Gwen,

Thanks for the advice. I am persuaded. The 500AH it is.

There’s no getting round the fact that a heavy scope needs heavy support.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.

Just need some funds from the for sale forum now! 😀

The long plate/500AH Manfrotto

Attachments

• 6AD3A03B-A5D8-4800-9CF1-9ABA250575F5.jpg
    6AD3A03B-A5D8-4800-9CF1-9ABA250575F5.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 2476AA9E-30EA-45F8-8C2E-54A6F4254060.jpg
    2476AA9E-30EA-45F8-8C2E-54A6F4254060.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 114
Oh yes. I can see photo 1 shows how the whole foot of the scope is supported.

This set up is perfect for my needs, I do not spend a lot of time with it at any one spot. It’s easily laid down if needed and no messing around with multiple legs. I can easily keep it steady.

Attachments

• 2F854AAF-17C6-4B03-8E81-39DD88498741.jpg
    2F854AAF-17C6-4B03-8E81-39DD88498741.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 162
I am using a Kowa TSN 82SV scope on my Manfrotto 500ah head, mounted on a Manfrotto 190 carbon fiber tripod. It's all very stable, and the tension adjustments keep the scope where I point it. As soon as the weather cools off here a bit, we are pushing 100 F now, i plan on trying some Digiscoping using my iPhone 7, but it's just too hot to get out now.

I actually made a spacer and mounted a Manfrotto 323 adapter plate on the 500p plate. That way i use the smaller Manfrotto plates across my mounting accessories. I have a couple of special scope stands that clamp onto a bench for my target shooting, where a tripod would be in the way. I also put a smaller plate on my camera, which is much handier than if i had to have one of the larger plates. So far it seems to be working well.

Last edited:
Good to know. I am still half considering the Manfrotto 190 CX pro. I think that and the 500AH will be about 2.5kg.

I am using a Kowa TSN 82SV scope on my Manfrotto 500ah head, mounted on a Manfrotto 190 carbon fiber tripod. It's all very stable, and the tension adjustments keep the scope where I point it. As soon as the weather cools off here a bit, we are pushing 100 F now, i plan on trying some Digiscoping using my iPhone 7, but it's just too hot to get out now.

I actually made a spacer and mounted a Manfrotto 323 adapter plate on the 500p plate. That way i use the smaller Manfrotto plates across my mounting accessories. I have a couple of special scope stands that clamp onto a bench for my target shooting, where a tripod would be in the way. I also put a smaller plate on my camera, which is much handier than if i had to have one of the larger plates. So far it seems to be working well.

Good to know. I am still half considering the Manfrotto 190 CX pro. I think that and the 500AH will be about 2.5kg.

I went with the 190 Go m series, carbon fiber. Twist lock legs which I like , basically because it was the type on my first tripod 47 years ago. According to Manfrotto specs, my combo weighs in at 2.25KG

A scopac or similar is highly recommended and you won't notice the weight.

Joachim

Yes I have a mule pack which is the same but I don’t like the top heavy weight of having the scope at head height.
I am going to see if I can make some sort of backpack strap arrangement with the scope at the base. With the closed tripod upside down and the scope forming an inverted T shape.
Until now I have always carried my scope by a single strap on one shoulder.

I went with the 190 Go m series, carbon fiber. Twist lock legs which I like , basically because it was the type on my first tripod 47 years ago. According to Manfrotto specs, my combo weighs in at 2.25KG

Hi, I decided against the Go tripods because I want 3 section legs. More stable, thicker section at the foot and quicker to put up and take down.

I could go for the Manfrotto 190 Carbon Fibre 3-Section Tripod perhaps.

Hi,

Yes I have a mule pack which is the same but I don’t like the top heavy weight of having the scope at head height.

well, I got used to it... but I never really tried it differently, so no comparison.

Hi, I decided against the Go tripods because I want 3 section legs. More stable, thicker section at the foot and quicker to put up and take down.

That is a wise decision!

Joachim

I also have a 057 carbon fiber 4 section leg with geared centered column. It's massive and extremely stable, the downside being weight. It will be used around the house and property or out of the back of my truck. It weighs 8.2 lbs without a head so not much carrying on this baby. I can tell the difference in stiffness when touching my scope. I do like the geared column to make easy adjustments for viewing height. I like the weight reduction of carbon fiber over aluminum, but it seems to me as weight goes up stiffness and stability improves.

Wow that’s a beast of a tripod! That’s got to be noticeably more stable than my 4.5 lb one.

I agree, there’s no denying that stability equates to weight.

I have never tried the trick of hanging a bag under the tripod.

How effective is that I wonder?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back