• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

Thanks for trying to id my mystery bird. Although I find it hard to believe it would be a cattle egret. My gut feeling says demoiselle crane, but I guess I'll never know for certain.

I stayed in Mallorca from 1-11th July, for me the highlights of the trip were Eleonora's falcons hunting at Bocquer and a splendid roosting bird at Son Real at close range, black vulture and griffons at Mortitx, scopoli's shearwaters at close range on a dolphin trip,...

I missed the reef egret and failed to see the moltoni's warbler at Cuber (disregarded a very brief view of a possible bird). I did see a balearic warbler at Bocquer, but also very briefly.

3 crossbills were present at El Calvari in Pollenca, calling al the time but difficult to see.

You can see the rest of my sighting here (photos will be added later) https://observation.org/user/view/60823?q=&akt=0&g=0&from=2016-07-16&to=2017-07-16&prov=0&z=0&sp=0&gb=0&method=0&cdna=0&f=0&m=K&zeker=O&month=0&rows=100&only_hidden=0&zoektext=0&tag=0&plum=0&from=2017-07-01&to=2017-07-11&q=&zoektext=0&g=0&z=0&month=0&prov=0&m=K&zeker=O&rows=100&only_hidden=0

Of course I would prefer it to be a demoiselle, but I think this bird it's not. First, demoiselle it's a real rarity (no "modern" observations in the Balearics, but probably was commoner in the past, and at least 3 birds were hunted in Mallorca in the 18th century). Second, what it's seen in the pictures doesn't fit with this species (for example, the wing fly-feathers are not dark, in fact all the wing looks of the same colour, probably white).
I've seen these days a very dirty cattle-egret in s'Albufereta (near Alcudia), with many parts of belly, breast, neck and head with dark orange-rusty colour (with some white spots and white fringes on it). That is, in my opinion, the bird you saw. I prefer to look always at the "easiest" especies, instead of talking about rare birds.
Other birds seen these days include whiskered terns, little terns, whimbrel, spotted redshanks (as much as 25), greenshank, green sandpiper, wood sandpiper, common sandpiper... The migrations seems to have started.
Best wishes,

While sitting on my balcony ln Puerto Pollensa early this morning (well after the Firework Fiesta) l listened to a Scops Owl calling,from the area of the Guardia Civil.ln case anyone wants to follow up what l heard.

A brief seawatch late afternoon, a bit early in the day maybe, but I still saw 12 Scopoli's Shearwaters from my local lighthouse. As Maties says, migration is under way, mostly Common waders but a good selection. I will be going to Salobrar later in the week. It's a great place to be at this time of the year, you just never know what will turn up.
Thanks Ben Nevis, I am still hearing the odd Scop's owl in Parc Mondrago but it's generally quieter. I hope to look for Nightjars later this evening. Mike

Quite lively in Mondrago this evening with the Stone Curlews being very noisy as usual. Then three Scop's owls were calling, just in one small area, so there must be many more.
Then I heard and saw one European Nightjar with its unique flight against a bright orange sky. For me, there are few sights better than this in the birding world. Magic. Mike

Eurasian Scops Owl [I]Otus scops[/I] (Linnaeus)

I know I'm going to get shot down in flames for posting this, but I can't help myself, sorry.

There is not, and has never been, any such person as "Scop" after whom an owl could be named. And there is no such bird as "Scop's Owl".

(Hides under blanket.)

I know I'm going to get shot down in flames for posting this, but I can't help myself, sorry.

There is not, and has never been, any such person as "Scop" after whom an owl could be named. And there is no such bird as "Scop's Owl".

(Hides under blanket.)

Never mind hiding Dave, you are now duty bound to find out, and tell us all, where the word 'scops' comes from, and the meaning ;)

A possible sighting of the Ruppell's Vulture today, I await further news but it does put the original sighting in a better light now, there were some doubters. Mike

A possible sighting of the Ruppell's Vulture today, I await further news but it does put the original sighting in a better light now, there were some doubters. Mike
Were there any severe storms in the spring to bring a Ruppell's in Mike?

I recall the days when there was only one griffon with the black vultures at Cuber, then a few years ago a massive storm dumped a couple of dozen or so griffons on the island and they've been effectively trapped there since then because they aren't up to the sea crossing to the mainland.

If it is a Ruppell's there should be plenty of opportunities to confirm it, because it's likely to be there for some time.

Dave's sub-blanket entry for Scops Owl (see #1106) has given me the courage to enter pleas for Audouin's Gull and Eleonora's Falcon - both names frequently butchered on this forum (altho' birders in Mallorca aren't alone; years ago on Lesvos I heard mention of "Ord-Wynne's Gull"!!!).

A lot of feeding activity this morning at Maristany as the water level drops. Amongst the couple hundred little egrets (I counted nearly 300 last week) and 2 dozens of Night and Purple Herons where what I guess is the Hybrid Egret that has been seen numerous times in the past and the Western Reef Egret seen in s'Albufera a couple months ago. See below together in one not-so-good shot.

Also of note, on the platforms at the Depuradora, 3 dead juvenile Shelducks, new since last Thursday, and this besides the 3 or 4 dead gulls that have been there for weeks. The water looks the dirtiest I have seen it and unusually smelly. I am sure the heat and summer load on the treatment plant do not help keeping water quality up but I wonder if these recent deaths have been common in the past and/or are being investigated.

Over the fields near the Depuradora, I counted 9 Bee-eaters, and two more on the other side of the quarry.

At Albufereta, very quiet with low water levels, even the large pool nearest the platform is drying out. Mainly Little Egrets, BW Stilts, a lone Osprey grooming on a post and a juvenile (maybe 1st year) grey heron.

Attachments

• _A8A0121.jpg
    _A8A0121.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 91
  • _A8A0137.jpg
    _A8A0137.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 105
S'Albufera Nature Reserve.

Hi all, Just a few photos after my recent holiday to Mallorca.

Pete.

Attachments

• BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 092-Edit.jpg
    BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 092-Edit.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 54
  • BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 097-Edit.jpg
    BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 097-Edit.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 52
  • BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 278-Edit.jpg
    BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 278-Edit.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 56
  • BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 348-Edit.jpg
    BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 348-Edit.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 46
  • BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 310-Edit.jpg
    BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 310-Edit.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 71
Dave's sub-blanket entry for Scops Owl (see #1106) has given me the courage to enter pleas for Audouin's Gull and Eleonora's Falcon - both names frequently butchered on this forum (altho' birders in Mallorca aren't alone; years ago on Lesvos I heard mention of "Ord-Wynne's Gull"!!!).

Audouin- a 19thC French ornithologist, which, if correct, means we should really be pronouncing it 'Oh-du-an' rather than 'Or-dew-in' (that is if you want to be that pedantic...)

Eleonora (Eleanor of Arborea)- practically a martyr on Sardinia (14thC judge & countess)- think Eleonora's Falcons were first described from Sardinia by a visiting Italian ornithologist.

Hopefully provides some interest!

Hi Barred Wobbler, there have been two storms this spring but it would be very difficult to determine when the possible Ruppell's Vulture arrived. I well remember the lone Griffon Vulture and how difficult it was to catch up with, I only saw it once at Cuber. So if there is a Ruppell's out there, it surely won't be seen very often as they do wander around quite a bit.
Griffon vulture numbers were swollen when a big invasion took place some years ago. It's so hot here I can't find the energy to look up the details. I thought the total number involved was about 64 birds but I may be wrong. I must have been one of the first people to see them, a group of 32 passed overhead when I was out on a group walk. As I knew there was only one, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A large group of the same birds were seen looking like they were leaving the island so I'm not sure if some did. I know now that there are an estimated 50 birds still here and 8 young were reared in 2015. I will be getting the annual report for 2016 this Thursday when the journal is launched in Palma by Carles. I will give the more up to date information when I have details.
All this means that if there is a Ruppell's here then it will most probably stay. Someone will eventually get a photograph and thus put any doubts aside. I will post any information I get.
Thanks others for your reports, good to see the Reef Heron is still around, nice photos all, Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike – Interesting to hear the latest siting at Cuber of a “possible” Ruppell`s. I reported my “interesting” vulture there on 27th June which I`ve not written off. My problem after well over 50 years of birding is that I still don`t make field notes, carrying the details in my head until writing them up at the first opportunity. Nor do I run off a quick record photo though at the distance I saw this vulture it was not an option. So for me it goes down on my list along with the other “was it or wasn`t its.” A salutary lesson for all. I`ll still be very interested in any more sightings hopefully accompanied by a decent photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back