• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler & raptor, Loei, Thailand (1 Viewer)

BKKBen

Hi again,

This warbler was seen at Phu Suan Sai NP, on April 14th - is it a Dusky?

The raptor was seen flying over a provincial arboretum (April 15th), about 60km south of the Laotian border. More so than my previous raptor post, these pics are probably not all that helpful, but the bird was watched heading south to north in a straight line, with a few shallow wing beats followed by a glide, repeated.

It appeared quite long-tailed and long-winged and relatively pale underneath, and my intial ID was a Eurasian Kestrel, though both Robson (and eBird) have this area being a little out of range for this species.

Thanks again for all assistance,

Ben.

Attachments

• warbler1a.JPG
    warbler1a.JPG
    592.9 KB · Views: 48
  • warbler1b.JPG
    warbler1b.JPG
    610.1 KB · Views: 40
  • raptor2a.JPG
    raptor2a.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 50
  • raptor2b.JPG
    raptor2b.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 45
  • raptor2c.JPG
    raptor2c.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 32
Pallid is a vagrant to Thailand and has only been seen in the south according to my copy of Robson.

Perhaps more likely is Pied, which is a regular passage migrant in NW Thailand.

Admitt I only checked the Species list for species recorded in Thailand... well, it's a Harrier. Difficult to say which based on these images.

The warbler looks better for Radde's to me, with fairly thick pink legs and what seems to be a short, thick bill (but hard to be sure on these photos).

I see what you mean about the thickness of the bill and legs on the warbler, but I'm not seeing a buff lower belly and vent. Maybe it would come out with adjustment for exposure.

Re the Harrier, can Eastern Marsh show such a large white rump?

The warbler looks better for Radde's to me, with fairly thick pink legs and what seems to be a short, thick bill (but hard to be sure on these photos).

Now that you brought Radde's up, the supercilium is indeed rather ill-defined in front of the eye and extends far to the nape... Probably the better candidate.

Good point raised by John, in the west we are more familiar with bright juveniles/1st-winters, spring adults are altogether duller by comparison. The structure however, clearly indicates the OP is Radde's.

Grahame

Thanks to all for the help. I originally didn't think Radde's because of the lack of colour on the undertail coverts, but I guess I should've also been looking at other features as well.

Thanks also re: the harrier. I'm not very familiar with harriers and didn't even think about that possibility. Regardless of species, it's the first harrier I've seen in Loei; I'll have to keep my eyes out for more next time I'm up there!

Thanks again. All help is greatly appreciated!

Ben.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back