• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

Can I have wader sp on my list?

12 waders just flew past - too distant for positive id - most likely Black-tailed Godwits.

Agree with Richard. I've also got dozens of bird sps on my list the last month alone.

But always worth posting interesting bird sightings or 'ones that got away'. Generates discussion. Like this. And makes the thread longer. Like this.

;)

Probables do deserve an honorary mention in any list if you get the chance like on this thread. Just not a number assigned to them imo.

Can I have wader sp on my list?

12 waders just flew past - too distant for positive id - most likely Black-tailed Godwits.

FWIW H, although I don’t have any sps on my year list (although I’ve had at least 4 sps this year), I do have a silhouetted Godwit sp which flew low toward and over my house (very close) a few years back now “on the list”....

Yes, the ‘mystery’ birds are frustrating and exciting in equal measure - of course ANY wader species up here would set my heart ‘apounding:eek!:

Even if they're not Surebirds.

:clap::clap::clap:

Yup. Very nice!

This has got me thinking about any that I have missed due to not being quite sure. No shorebirds for me either, though spotted sandpipers so close that I suspect it'll happen one day. Plenty of duck sp. flyovers. And lots of me squinting at juv. Bald eagles trying to turn them into Goldies.

Ah, November....good job the chickadees are entertaining!

Wow, eleven hand clappy things (and none of them were slow!) I'm humbled. ;-)

Bird sps - most of mine have been random small finches or similar seen in flight through the window or a distant flappy thing viewed through the hedge - probably not anything new or bordering on 'the one that got away'tbh.

Will tot up my 'expected' additions target list at some point. Having only started late August have the second winter period to enjoy only, and reckon on maybe only 10 from Deb Burhinus' post above, #678, and only a few other possibles. We'll see ....

Canada Goose
Sparrowhawk
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Greenfinch

I wouldn't expect Kestrel or Siskin etc ...

That's a lot fewer than I originally thought. Will have to see ...

FWIW I’m currently running on 60% of my all time (36 yrs.) grdn.list with perhaps not “much” else to look forward to up to year end, though I still need Redpoll. Which might be forthcoming particularly if there is a prolonged cold snap, however these don’t normally occur till January. :-C

No complaints though as this has been my best ever “grdn.year” including one grdn. flyover life tick, with 16 species (c20%), occurring just the once (and 4 possible sp additions (not included).

Two interesting (at least I found them so) bird things today -

Was in the lounge earlier doing stuff when suddenly became aware that I could hear a Chiffchaff weeting away in the front garden (all windows were closed). Sure enough, one was outside in the small tree. I expect it was agitated at a cat or something. 3 factors involved perhaps - my hearing, poor double glazing or loud bird, or combination thereof. At least one a really positive factor I reckon (as the years pass on by) ...

Even earlier looked out the back window to see a bit of black burnt paper blowing in the wind. That or a scrap of torn bin liner veering down out of the blue sky. Until it became a Jackdaw. Double take and I could see it really was a bit of airborne burnt paper from a garden bonfire; twisting and skewing as it tumbled out of the sky. Then it levelled off and the Jackdaw flew over the house. I know Ravens do their upside-down flying acrobatics (they do fairly frequently hereabouts) - but never seen anything like this from a Jackdaw (a much smaller corvid btw); it was closing its wings, turning about, and gracefully and slowly falling down out of the sky. Anyone else witnessed similar ever?

Two interesting (at least I found them so) bird things today -

it was closing its wings, turning about, and gracefully and slowly falling down out of the sky. Anyone else witnessed similar ever?

Not Jackdaw exactly as described...but Firecrest, tumbling and spiralling at the same “time” and “movement” as the accompanying falling leaves from lofty bough...many Autumns ago, had to be seen to be believed! :eek!:

Not Jackdaw exactly as described...but Firecrest, tumbling and spiralling at the same “time” and “movement” as the accompanying falling leaves from lofty bough...many Autumns ago, had to be seen to be believed! :eek!:

Yes, I've seen Goldcrests 'tumbling down' through the branches like leaves on a couple of occasions, a lovely sight.

Numbers building up around the feeders here with regular sub-zero nights now, around 40 Brambling seem settled and happy with the free food and Yellowhammers into double figures today. A nice surprise this afternoon when only the second ever for the garden

84 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

was clambering around the branches of one of the old apple trees across the road:t:. We are really above the usual altitude for the species but a few minutes afterwards there was a flock of twelve Long-tailed Tits in the adjacent trees so I wonder if it's been tagging along with them as they wander about. Interestingly (for me at least) the first one we had was also a November arrival two years ago and it kindly hung around till the following January helping the good old Garden Year List!

Yes, I've seen Goldcrests 'tumbling down' through the branches like leaves on a couple of occasions, a lovely sight.

Numbers building up around the feeders here with regular sub-zero nights now, around 40 Brambling seem settled and happy with the free food and Yellowhammers into double figures today. A nice surprise this afternoon when only the second ever for the garden

84 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

was clambering around the branches of one of the old apple trees across the road:t:. We are really above the usual altitude for the species but a few minutes afterwards there was a flock of twelve Long-tailed Tits in the adjacent trees so I wonder if it's been tagging along with them as they wander about. Interestingly (for me at least) the first one we had was also a November arrival two years ago and it kindly hung around till the following January helping the good old Garden Year List!

I recall my last (in garden LSW) was also in November, many, many, years ago on my neighbours Cherry tree adjacent (almost touching) my bedroom window.....you're getting too close for comfort Richard. :eek!:

I recall my last (in garden LSW) was also in November, many, many, years ago on my neighbours Cherry tree adjacent (almost touching) my bedroom window.....you're getting too close for comfort Richard. :eek!:

Yeh, but not as close as your bedroom window Ken, spare me that :eek!:

Yeh, but not as close as your bedroom window Ken, spare me that :eek!:

Coincidently Richard, I've just put together ''a shots from a bedroom window'' file, and it's amazing what subject matter one can amass in just over five years. :eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back