• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (4 Viewers)

GANNET !!!!! (Unless a Brown Booby is found locally!)

Flew steadily NW about 1km away in the rain!!!!!

WTVF!!!

Well done H!....certainly one I wonโ€™t be getting, although it brought back memories of one seen from the banks of my local reservoir some 45 years ago.
Just goes to show...how time and scarce birds fly by. :eek!:

Was it an immature H?

Too far to see in the gloom. I just got the shape & distinctive flight, not any plumage details. But it's surprising, seeing a bird so out of context, how your brain makes the connection - and Gannets do have a characteristic flight which, when you watch them at sea, you just absorb almost subconsciously, and that almost immediately was apparent. Having watched loads of Brown Boobies recently, my tongue-in-cheek reference to that was only a hark back to recent Cornwall sightings!
It was weird, though, to see a couple of circling Buzzards in the same bin view.
This year has been pocked with surprises - which is what makes this garden watching so refreshing so often.

A hell of a way - almost exactly mid way between Liverpool and Spurn - c. 100kms - so a Gannet is amazing.

Mind you H, the images of flood-hit Yorkshire recently suggest to me that the Gannet May have still felt it was at sea (instead of being โ€˜all at sea ยด, boom boom)!

Your reference H to subconsciously IDing a bird before your โ€œbrainโ€ kicks in..is so true, and even more so when one encounters a species out of context as with your Gannet.

Many years ago on a โ€œstillโ€ warm Oct morning, I glanced up at the trees behind the house and noted (just nanoseconds) โ€œStone Curlewโ€ then it was gone, so brief was the sighting, that it seemed not to โ€œregisterโ€ with my brain! Thus I felt just too brief to tick. :-C

Effectively without the โ€œyokeโ€ of competition our respective garden lists would be much poorer. :t:

Last edited:
A hell of a way - almost exactly mid way between Liverpool and Spurn - c. 100kms - so a Gannet is amazing.
Amazing garden tick.
Been a few records in the area but never managed to connect with one.

Close but no cigar once again this morning.
Walking home after doing the webs count on my local patch. Had a flock of 16 whoopers fly low over me from the direction of my house.
Got in and my good wife asked if I had seen the swans that had flown over the garden โ€œwhoopingโ€. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I thought H's Gannet sighting was surely to be the Garden tick of the year but I reckon I've topped it today. I was in England yesterday for a funeral and got back home at lunchtime from Geneva airport. First job was to top up the feeders and also scatter the cheap birdseed that the Yellowhammers like(lots of millet in it) in front of the house and near the kitchen window. At 4.30 (it was getting dark by then) I got the shock of my birding life to see the Yellowhammers had brought one of their cousins with them!

85 Pine Bunting

Not only a Garden Tick but a lifer to boot! A bit rare in France with no records betwen 2014 and 2016 and just the one record of a wintering pair in the winter of 2017/8. The Italian speaking part of Switzerland has a regular wintering site in recent years and their first of the season turned up at the weekend, maybe this one overshot!

Attachments

• bruant a c b premier vue.jpg
    bruant a c b premier vue.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Bruant a c b 3.jpg
    Bruant a c b 3.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 48
I thought H's Gannet sighting was surely to be the Garden tick of the year but I reckon I've topped it today. I was in England yesterday for a funeral and got back home at lunchtime from Geneva airport. First job was to top up the feeders and also scatter the cheap birdseed that the Yellowhammers like(lots of millet in it) in front of the house and near the kitchen window. At 4.30 (it was getting dark by then) I got the shock of my birding life to see the Yellowhammers had brought one of their cousins with them!

85 Pine Bunting

Not only a Garden Tick but a lifer to boot! A bit rare in France with no records betwen 2014 and 2016 and just the one record of a wintering pair in the winter of 2017/8. The Italian speaking part of Switzerland has a regular wintering site in recent years and their first of the season turned up at the weekend, maybe this one overshot!

....that must have been a sPINE tingling event Richard!...I've only ever seen one, and not in the garden...we now have parity.:eek!:

Last edited:
....that must have been a sPINE tingling event Richard!...I've only ever seen one, and not in the garden...we now have parity.:eek!:

Iโ€™m definitely losing my marbles, todayโ€™s bird was of course my second ever P B, we probably saw the same one years ago Ken, Dagenham Chase was it (my kids found the roosting L e Owls more interesting I recall)?

Iโ€™m definitely losing my marbles, todayโ€™s bird was of course my second ever P B, we probably saw the same one years ago Ken, Dagenham Chase was it (my kids found the roosting L e Owls more interesting I recall)?

Yes that was mine too!....Essex a great place for Sibes.:t:

85 Pine Bunting

Oo, that's a bit good :)

Many congratulations ๐Ÿ‘

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back