• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

Apologies for a non-bird post, but I know that several members have an interest in dragonflies and damselflies. I have updated the notes which I produced in 2017 and attached a copy.

There's not many changes - mainly additional records for existing species and some updated photos. I found a reference to one additional species - scarce blue-tailed damselfly, a record of a larva from 2008.

Stew

Attachments

• 2019 Some notes on the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Mallorca.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
Excellent work Stew and thanks for posting.
I know many readers and visitors are keen to learn more and I’m sure our collective knowledge will grow over the coming years.
Thank you for collating all known sightings and putting them all in your paper, it will be a great help to many of us.
Mike

A great day today with Geordie Dave. Beginning at the depuradora, Albufera, David spotting a splendid adult male Hen Harrier after only a few minutes. There could be no better way to start the day as we watched this magnificent raptor quartering the reeds.
Two Bluethroat came out to play and another popped out onto the causeway briefly.
There were many Marsh Harrier in the sky and we counted eight together at one point.
Common and Green sandpipers were present, a very pale Booted Eagle alighted by the pools for a while and a few Crag martins graced the surrounding area.
Onto the main reserve where a Spoonbill rested nearby, a few Glossy ibis were around and many of the usual species were present.
Later we saw two Pintail and an Avocet.
A very enjoyable day, the company of other birders is always fun.
Mike

After all this dashing around the Island, Jane asked for a quiet stroll around our local park of Mondragó.
After only a few paces I was delighted to pick up a Goldcrest on call. I thought I had lost that one.
Looking at the bird I noticed another four in the same tree. It seemed that nearly every pine tree was the same with many more birds seen, at least twenty in a short walk. There must have been a very big invasion as the most I have ever seen in the park is three. I will go for a longer walk and see just how many I can log.
On leaving I saw three Common Crane flying overhead, they have been a bit scarce this year so far.
Maybe I should cover my local patch a bit more in future.
Mike

Lisa and I walked up through Mortix this morning. Single black vulture and peregrine just beyond winery. Half way up the valley 2 Bonellis eagles seen in the air by a number of us. Later on at the end of the walk a single followed by a group of 4 brambling. Temperatures around 21 degrees contrast nicely with 3 degrees at home. A fabulous day in a fabulous setting

Thank you Cristina for all you have done for us birders this year.
I know all visitors and residents agree that La Gola is a superb reserve and some great birds have been seen there over the years.
I and many others look forward to seeing you again in 2020.
Best wishes.
Mike

Despite the wind and rain I had a seawatch this afternoon.
I immediately saw 11 Balearic shearwaters and soon after, a group of 6 Scopoli’s shearwaters feeding quite close in.
For the next two hours I saw absolutely nothing, despite the promising start.
No other news today, I believe that the weather for the next two days will be pretty awful.
Mike

Went to Depuradora with Kevin H yesterday. Saw 2 bluethroat and a few glossy ibis. Plenty of marsh harrier in the air. The “dry pond” is gradually filling up, saw ruff and a few redshank. Went on to Albufera where we had the place to ourselves, didn’t see another person in the 5 hours we were there. Water levels are high after the rain and very few waders about. Spoonbill still on Sa Roca, plenty of teal, shovellervand marbled duck. Had 4 or 5 views of kingfisher. Went over to Bishop Hide where a female hen harrier turned up. All in all a good but cool day where the wind and rain held off. Here for another week so there’s plenty of time for something to turn up

Attachments

• 8A2D5FA2-B094-4E47-A633-72047822563C.jpg
    8A2D5FA2-B094-4E47-A633-72047822563C.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 51
Kevin and I had 4 hours in the hide at Son Real this morning in the rain and saw a blackbird. It brightened up briefly and we saw 2 robins and a grey wagtail. It’s just as well that the banter was good as always!!

Another afternoon seawatch in the south-east produced very little. Three distant Gannet had me scrutinising them more than normal.
A handful of Balearic shearwaters were also far out to sea but a pair of Black Redstart on the rocks nearby kept me happily entertained.
Other news today: Maties reported a Fieldfare from Albufera and Dani saw a Wheatear. As it is so late, I suspect it could be a rare species of Wheatear which often appear later in the year.
I will post any news I get.
Mike

A Yellowhammer has been seen and photographed at Lluc, a very scarce bird indeed here in Mallorca.
Maties also reported a Rock Pipit from La Gola, even rarer!
Quite a lot of action for December.
There have been some violent storms this week which always livens things up on this relatively small Island.
I bet there are a few more good birds out there.
Mike

After the miserable weather yesterday it was good to be out in the sun again today. Kevin and I went to Albercutx at Formentor and saw Balearic warbler and blue rock thrush before an alpine accentor canexwithin 6 feet of us feeding on the ground. We went on to Mortix and saw firecrest, dozens off black redstart and 10 vultures in the air together with definite sightings of both black and griffon. A single Bonellis eagle rounded off an excellent day

Nice one David.
A group walk this morning was very pleasant now that the warm weather has returned, 21 degrees today.
A Mistle Thrush started the day well followed by three Red Kite and three Booted Eagle.
I was stunned to log 12 Plain tiger butterflies, what a year it has been for this species.
The Rock Pipit is still showing today from near La Gola.
Maties, Carlos and Pep have seen Redwing, Ring Ouzel, Fieldfare and Brambling at Sa Coma den Vidal, all scarce species here.
Mike

Attachments

• 0B697FC6-497A-49CB-82FA-35E70C1258D8.jpg
    0B697FC6-497A-49CB-82FA-35E70C1258D8.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Spent late morning and all of a sunny afternoon at Albufereta joined later on by Kevin and then Pep. Over 100 flamingo on main ponds with red crested pochard, great crested grebe and 3 great white heron. A bluethroat showed in the bush below the platform. A few cettis and fan tailed warblers and lots of chiffchaff about. 20 stone curlew flew low and close to the platform and put up another 10 in the next field. Firecrest and goldcrest in the woods with 10 red legged partridge and a hoopoe just over the wall. 20 cormorant on Sa Barcassa pond, 8 greenshank, lots of stilts a single curlew sandpiper and a sandwich tern completed the show. Off to the Salt Pans tomorrow, lets hope the good weather stays around

Geordie Dave and I joined Mike at the salt pans this morning. Dave wanted to test drive his new wellies and the very flooded Eddies track gave him a perfect opportunity. The first birds seen were a pair of Thekla larks in the left hand field. The first wet area held 10 Flamingos but before we reached the end of the track we saw well over 100.
Stopping at the refuge we scanned the track dividing the pans and were rewarded with good views of at least 3 Bluethroats. Also there, Stonechat, Sardinian warbler and lots of Chiffchaff. Moving further along we had Spoonbill, Great and Little egrets, Grey heron and Black winged stilt. At the end of the track we stopped for lunch (Mike supplied the pies again).
The water either side of the track was far too deep to hold any waders but at the end there was a shallow patch which held Curlew, Greenshank and Redshank.
All along the track there were good views of Marsh harriers and on the walk back 30 + Kentish plover flew across in front of us. Lots of Lapwing and a couple of Hoopoe were also seen here.
Later we moved on to the Es Trenc road. Here we saw Temminck’s and Little stint, Little and Kentish plover, Ruff, Greenshank, Redshank and Red kite.
Great day. Great company. These are the days!

Thanks Kevin, it was a very enjoyable and fun day with good birds and lots of laughs, as always.
On the way home I drove down the approach road to the lighthouse at Cap de Ses Salines and there I saw fields full of Starlings.
When they took to the air I tried to estimate the number which is of course very difficult but it certainly exceeded 100,000 birds.
Quite spectacular and the noise was incredible. One of the best birding experiences on the Island in my opinion. Even more impressive than David’s new wellies.
Safe trip back and have a good Christmas both of you, see you in the New Year.
Mike

Just a note about yesterday. The mosquitoes at the salt pans yesterday were voracious and every exposed bit of me is covered in very itchy bites. I think David got ravaged too.
Another beautiful day today so I thought I would try a morning seawatch as opposed to my usual evening slot.
The sea was calm and there was very little movement, save for a few loafing gulls and four Balearic shearwaters. Pretty paltry but it does mean that I have seen at least one bird in every month of this year, as the late Graham Hearl suggested.
Three dolphins breached the surface regularly and the pine trees on the way still held good numbers of Goldcrest.
A Mandarin Duck has been seen at Albufera but I guess it will be of questionable provenance.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back