• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bar-crested Antshrike Voice (1 Viewer)

Oregonian

In Steve Hilty's new revision to Birds of Venezuela, the voice of the Bar-crested Antshrike (Thamnophilus multistriatus) is described as follows:
"Much like Barred Antshrike but lazier and with marked acceleration at end".

I think it is a typographic error, because in his Birds of Colombia he describes it this way:
"Much like Barred Antshrike but lazier and without marked acceleration at end".

In fact, I was able to record the voice of Bar-crested Antshrikes when I was in Colombia last year, and it did lack acceleration. Since the voice is a point of separation from the similar-looking Lined Antshrike (Thamnophilis palliatus), it is an important detail. I could send along a .wav file if someone wants to hear it.

I really don't mean to criticise such a fine book. I can't conceive the amount of work required to get a book like that out - so much detail, and so easy to get some small bit wrong like that. And then some pencil-neck like me, whose first trip to South America was last year, has to come along and find minute little problems. I love the book! I bought it when I had the barest notion of going to Venezuela last year. That did not pan out, now I have the book, and need to find my way to Venezuela to use it.

Good birding!

Jeff,
An error in a work of this size is not uncommon and I imagine the author woulnd't mind hearing about it to correct in the next edition. I have his Vz book and really like it.

I have a CD of Venezuelan birdsong by Boesman and he addresses the possibilty of errors in his recordings with a "certainty" percentage. Then his website has an update called "errata" where he publishes updates/ corrections to his CD. Maybe field guides could do something similar.

Clearly a typo (yes, even great books have typos!). I've listned through all the loudsong recordings I have of the Bar-crested (7 different birds, 4 different locations), and all lack the acceleration in the end...

The school where I work outside of Cali, Colombia has 1 or 2 pairs of Bar-crested Antshrikes living there. They happen to be my favorite bird on the grounds. I hear them everyday and no they do not have the acceleration at the end.

Matthew Gable

Hello Matthew

Hello Matthew,
I just recently joined BirdForum. I wrote to you at another thread and have not gotten an answer (It was a very old thread.) I hate to be a pest but I am interested in finding other birdwatchers here in Cali. I am a novice but have watched birds in many interesting places. If you don't mind my asking, what school do you work at outside of Cali? We are building a house up in Dapa and I would love to be able to identify birds up there. i have Hilty's book but there is nothing like being able to talk to and learn from other birdwatchers/ Any suggestions?
Best regards,
Azucenadelvalle

olivewarbler said:
The school where I work outside of Cali, Colombia has 1 or 2 pairs of Bar-crested Antshrikes living there. They happen to be my favorite bird on the grounds. I hear them everyday and no they do not have the acceleration at the end.

Matthew Gable

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back