• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seafield to Kinghorn (2 Viewers)

I wasn't totally happy with this mornings effort, so I headed back this afternoon. My intention was to only go as far as the stone dyke, but as it turned out, I got as far as the tower.

With a bit of cloud cover and a strengthening sea breeze, the temperature had dropped, but it was still very pleasant T-shirt weather. My main aim was to find some terns, with hopefully Arctic being a possibility, and to find the birds missing from the scrub.

Moving along the path and past the harbour, I still found the undergrowth very quiet. The Linnet, Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler that had been abundant a few days ago, had all but disappeared. Out on the rocks however, I did find a number of terns. Some were obviously Sandwich, but there were a few that looked very short legged and appeared not to have black tips to the beaks. Too far out for me to make a sure ID with the binoculars, I started taking pictures with the camera.

I decided to get a bit nearer by descending onto the beach, then heading out to the first ridge of rock. I was still a good way off from the terns who were out on the outer ridges of rock that were surrounded by the waters of the firth. I was never going to disturb the terns, but a couple of Ringed Plover were very much less than impressed by my intrusion onto the beach. One of them even started playing the wounded soldier by conspicuously dragging its wing as it limped through the seaweed covered plateau of rock in front of me. I couldn't see any chicks, but I suspect they were very close, so I carefully retraced my steps back up to the path.

Reaching the tower, I continued to take more photos of the assembled terns (and one lone Linnet) before a darkening sky prompted me to head for home. Back at home, I scrutinised my ninety plus photos and found that they were all Common or Sandwich. The dark tips of the beaks had not shown up at distance through my binoculars, but the camera told the true tale. That said, I'll settle for any kind of tern any day, so certainly nothing lost.

Photos attached - The bird on the left in photo one was the one that looked very short legged to me, but the black beak tip makes it a Common.

Attachments

• DSCN6574.jpg
    DSCN6574.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN6591.jpg
    DSCN6591.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN6600.jpg
    DSCN6600.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN6635.jpg
    DSCN6635.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN6640.jpg
    DSCN6640.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Not so common.

As I am heading away for a week later today, I decided to have an early morning saunter along the strip. Arriving at the car park before seven, I found a calm sea under heavy grey skies. Moving towards the tower, I could see that the skies further up the Forth were even blacker than those above, and looked like they were dropping rain. I'd intended to go further, but those clouds had me turning back at the tower.

There was little happening out on the sea surface and the scrub remained fairly subdued. On the return though, my attention was drawn to two very vocal Curlew having a bit of a barny. While watching them, I also found several Turnstone on the rocks. As with the Redshank, it looks like they are starting to drift back to the strip.

As I approached the harbour, I noticed a movement on sands that lay revealed by the low tide. A fairly easy identification this one, even for me, and I had a patch tick in the not so common Common Sandpiper. I reached for the camera, but the bird flew into the tumbledown blocks of the old harbour wall and disappeared from sight. White bars on its wings were very evident, so I suspect this bird is a juvenile, but I might be wrong on that.

I stood for a while in the increasing gloom. Tiny spits of rain were now in the air, but my patience was rewarded, as the bird popped up onto the concrete blocks and enabled me to grab a few dimly lit photos (see attached). With that I hurriedly exited the scene, and ten minutes later, I was driving out of the car park as heavier rain started to fall.

THE LIST UPDATED
1. Bar-tailed Godwit
2. Blackcap
3. Black-headed Gull
4. Black-tailed Godwit
5. Blackbird
6. Blue Tit
7. Bullfinch
8. Carrion Crow
9. Chaffinch
10. Chiffchaff
11. Collared Dove
12. Common Buzzard
13. Common Gull
14. Common Sandpiper
15. Common Scoter*
16. Common Tern
17. Cormorant
18. Curlew
19. Dunlin
20. Dunnock
21. Eider
22. Feral Pigeon
23. Fulmar
24. Gannet
25. Garden Warbler
26. Goldcrest
27. Goldeneye
28. Goldfinch
29. Goosander
30. Great Black-backed Gull
31. Great Crested Grebe
32. Great Tit
33. Greenfinch
34. Greenshank
35. Grey Heron
36. Greylag
37. Grey Wagtail
38. Guillemot
39. Herring Gull
40. Housemartin
41. House Sparrow
42. Kestrel*
43. Kingfisher
44. Knot
45. Lesser Black-backed Gull
46. Linnet
47. Long-tailed Duck
48. Long-tailed Tit
49. Magpie
50. Mallard
51. Meadow Pipit
52. Mute Swan
53. Oystercatcher
54. Pheasant
55. Pied Wagtail (Yarrellii)
56. Pink-Footed Goose
57. Peregrine
58. Puffin
59. Purple Sandpiper
60. Red-Throated Diver*
61. Red-breasted Merganser
62. Redshank
63. Reed Bunting
64. Ringed Plover
65. Robin
66. Rock Pipit
67. Ruff
68. Sanderling
69. Sandwich Tern
70. Sedge Warbler
71. Shag
72. Skylark
73. Song Thrush
74. Sparrowhawk
75. Starling
76. Stonechat*
77. Swallow
78. Swift
79. Turnstone
80. Velvet Scoter
81. Whimbrel*
82. Whitethroat
83. Willow Warbler
84. Woodpigeon
85. Wren.
86. Yellowhammer

Attachments

• DSCN6661.jpg
    DSCN6661.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN6662.jpg
    DSCN6662.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN6669.jpg
    DSCN6669.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Summer Knot

I took an early walk along the strip as far as the Lime Kiln Beach this morning. Conditions were gloomy, but calm, with the tide close to high.

At the beach I found a large flock (I counted ninety seven) of Goosander. Also, a Common Sandpiper was evident. Along the whole strip now, Redshank are very evident, and there are increasing numbers of Curlew, Oystercatcher, Turnstone and Ringed Plover. Still a few Sandwich Terns, including juveniles, around with the Common Terns. Three Common Gulls spotted today. First I've seen here in a while.

Also out on the water and rocks were Eider, Cormorant, Great Black-Backed Gull, and Herring Gull, Grey Heron, along with a single Guillemot.

In the scrub, there is a bit of increased activity. Goldfinch juveniles are very evident, and large flocks are starting to form. Also, there were large numbers of House Sparrow a little south of the tower. Not an area they usually frequent. Good numbers of Reed Bunting showing in the same area. Long-Tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Linnet, Wren, Sedge Warbler, Starling, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, and Yellowhammer all seen. Willow Warbler and Whitethroat heard.

Coming back past the tower, I stopped to scan a group of Ringed Plover perched out on some rocks, when I noticed something different near them. It was a bird I knew, but not as I know it. There was my first returning Knot, and the first time I've seen one in its peachy summer coloration. Sadly, it popped behind the rocks and resolutely refused to come back out for a photo, but I'll get it next time.

While waiting to see if the Knot would reappear, I did find a pair of Pied Wagtail, my second Common Sandpiper and noted House Martin overhead.

Changing of the guard.

A last visit this evening was decided on before I head away tomorrow to work for three weeks. With clear blue skies and hot weather all day, I guessed what awaited me, even though it was gone half past seven. I was right. The car park was near full, as was the beach. I hurried along the path. The sea wall had teenagers on it. I hurried on. The harbour had kids in it and an older lady was throwing peebles into the almost still water. I hurried on. The rocks beyond the harbour had kids on them screaming and shouting. I stopped and considered heading back, but eventually moved on.

Halfway between the harbour and the tower, it was a lot quieter. And there were birds. A large raft of Goosander moved slowly towards me, close to the tide line and parallel with the path. I made two counts and settled on a figure of one hundred and thirteen. Moving on again, I found Common Terns on some of the few rocks that remained un-submerged by the rising tide. Then closer in, I caught sight of something small moving in the remaining shallow pools and seaweed covered rocks at the waters edge. Too small to be Turnstone, and smaller even than the numerous Ringed Plover around them, I was able to pick out the black bellies of Dunlin. Another common bird yes, but as with my Knot earlier in the week, another sign that the changing of the guard has started once again.

Attachments

• DSCN7293.jpg
    DSCN7293.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN7297.jpg
    DSCN7297.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN7300.jpg
    DSCN7300.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN7314.jpg
    DSCN7314.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN7321.jpg
    DSCN7321.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 114
First visit in three weeks found the strip sadly lacking in birds beyond the usual. Last month there had been signs that the waders were starting to return. They must have changed their minds, as with the exception of Curlews, there was very little.

The terns have also moved out, although I'm hoping that is temporary.

In the scrub, numbers of Goldfinch are building, and a single juvenile Greenfinch was spotted - first for a while.

Attachments

• DSCN7339.jpg
    DSCN7339.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 88
There were 1000+ terns on the sands at Burntisland a couple of weeks ago. I estimated 650 Common, 350 Sandwich but it was impossible to get an accurate count.

Tags

Photo number one pretty much sums up the activity on the strip at the moment.

One point of interest this afternoon was the spotting of a couple of tagged Shag. I suspect they will be from the Isle of May, so not a long journey for them.

Terns, mainly Sandwich, have turned up again. :t:

Attachments

• DSCN7477.jpg
    DSCN7477.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN7450.jpg
    DSCN7450.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN7504.jpg
    DSCN7504.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN7508.jpg
    DSCN7508.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN7495.jpg
    DSCN7495.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 98
A Pair of Kings.

The plan had been to get out to Stone Dyke Point early, and do a bit of sea watching. I am acutely aware that Kinghorn is a hotspot for Skuas and Shearwaters, but although I am looking over much of the same water, my patch Skua and Shearwater tally sits at zero.

Having given this issue some thought, my lightning quick brain identified the root cause of the problem. I wasn't spending any real time looking out to sea. Ninety nine percent of my sessions along the strip are spent checking out the inshore rocks and tidal areas, along with the scrub areas.

So my plan was to spend some time purposefully looking out over the Forth. I should of course have checked the weather forecast. No wind. Even I know that no wind is not good for sea watching, however, I soldiered on towards the point, only stopping for a scan of the old harbour. With the tide at the high mark, the harbour was full of Eider. Out on the little islands formed by the remaining sections of the seawall, there initially seemed to be only a few gulls and Oystercatcher. Then I spotted the shape of two small birds out out on the furthest most concrete blocks. Even with the 10x binoculars, I could in the very poor light, only make out the dark shapes of the two birds. I pulled the super zoom camera out. I knew wouldn't get a good photo, but thought that I might get an ID on the computer later. I was actually thinking Starling until, as I zoomed in, there was a flash of blue, and then a glow of orange. My birds were Kingfishers.

Record shots taken, I had to scramble to get the camera put away, as it started to rain. As I left the harbour, I noticed another uncommon visitor amongst the Eider. A juvenile Great Crested Grebe was present.

I made it out to the point, but with no wind, heavy rain and nothing moving offshore, I abandoned the sea watching until a more suitable day comes along.

Apologies for the photo quality, but as explained, it was at distance in very poor light.

Attachments

• kings.jpg
    kings.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Fresh In - Part One

It is rare that I have a whole Sunday afternoon free, but that is what happened today. I didn't particularly fancy a session on the strip, and was on the verge of driving out to the gravel pits around Ladybank, when I changed my mind and headed for the Seafield car park.

Entering the car park, I instantly started to regret my decision. It was busy. Very busy. I didn't want to hang about the crowds on the beach, so I hurriedly set off to find a quieter area. On the way though I noted Shag, Cormorant, GBBG, LBBG, Herring Gull, Eider, BHG, Carrion Crow, Oystercatcher, Curlew, Turnstone and Goosander.

The warm weather had brought the kids out in force. They were swimming at the beach. They were swimming at the harbour. They were even swimming at Seafield Tower Cove, only yards from sunbathing Common Seals on the rocks. The seals were not bothered, but birds were keeping a good distance away. Out on the more distant rocks in front of the tower, Sandwich Tern, with a few Common Tern sat. A single Starling also sat out there.

The scrub so far had been very quiet. The crowds of Goldfinch and Linnet of a few days ago had vanished. It was not until I reached the tower that I saw my first Goldfinch, when two or three passed overhead.

I headed on to Stone Dyke Point, adding Grey Heron to the list. Eight or nine of them down on the rocks to be more exact. I reached the point, however, it was occupied with a group of kids. I nearly turned back, however, I actually pushed on again after adding Yellowhammer to the list. The bird sat on its usual high point perch across the railway line from the stone dyke.

I descended down along the path as it led behind Lime Kiln Beach. Woodpigeon and Swallow were added along here. The scrub was still very quiet, but then there was still quite a bit of traffic on the path with walkers, dog walkers, cyclists, joggers etc.

I climbed the rise in the path up to the benches above the lime kiln. A bit of sea watching from this vantage point proved futile, however there were a few small birds moving here. More Goldfinch and Yellowhammer were noted, and Robin, Whitethroat and Reed Bunting were new entries to the list. Down below on the rocks, a flock of thirty to forty Goosander were evident.

I did a bit more sea watching, but soon bored due to lack of movement above the sparkling blue waters. I set off back towards Seafield, stopping every now and then for a quick scan. It was during one of these quick scans, that I picked out a Curlew that struck me as a little different. I thought Whimbrel maybe, but the face looked a little plain to me. I took a few photos anyway, and carried on down the path.

Now at home, I've had a look at the photos and was delighted to find I had indeed spotted a lifer in the form of a Whimbrel. This has been confirmed on the Bird ID Q&A pages. I hate to think how many Curlews I've checked out looking for a Whimbel. It is definitely hundreds, if not thousands. Finally though, I have my bird, with the bonus of it also being a patch tick.

Attachments

• DSCN7550.jpg
    DSCN7550.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN7526.jpg
    DSCN7526.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN7561.jpg
    DSCN7561.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN7562.jpg
    DSCN7562.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN7564.jpg
    DSCN7564.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Fresh In - Part Two

As I passed above Bullfinch Cove, I stopped for a a quick scan down into the tangle of undergrowth. Seeing a movement, I was very pleased to be able to lock on to a brown capped Blackcap. This is a bird I'd expected to see more of this summer, but this has only been my third sighting on the strip.

From the same spot from where the Blackcap was seen, I detected more movement as a Willow Warbler briefly popped into view.

The kids who had earlier been out on the point had moved on, so I headed down alongside the wall. As I did so a hawk passed overhead and across Bullfinch Cove. It then cut back, turned again before heading off down the coast. My first patch Kestrel had given good views though.

Out on the end of the point, I tried a bit more sea watching, but apart from small numbers of gulls/Cormorant/Shag, there was nothing of interest. Looking back into Bullfinch Cove though, I did located a Collared Dove.

Back on the path, I was heading for home. I passed the tower without event, but then a small bird was seen flying into a rocky area of the beach. I moved to the back edge of the beach. The bird popped up into sight again, and I had a patch tick in a Wheatear. Soon I realised that there were at least three Wheatears present, but they were difficult to keep track of, as they flitted up and down the beach, diving in and out of cover.

Further out on the rocks I also noted Ringed Plover.

I finally moved off again, fruitlessly checking the now quiet harbour for Kingfisher. Reaching the car, I found a final bird for the list just before I pulled off. Two Common Gull were patrolling the picnic area.

Not a bad afternoon, and hopefully that marks the end of the summer doldrums. Only twenty nine species counted, however a lifer, a patch tick and a personal patch tick is pretty good going for a session that I nearly passed on. :t:

Attachments

• DSCN7589.jpg
    DSCN7589.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN7590.jpg
    DSCN7590.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN7602.jpg
    DSCN7602.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN7603.jpg
    DSCN7603.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN7607.jpg
    DSCN7607.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Kingfisher Return

Following yesterdays morning downpour, I made a quick afternoon visit as far as the tower. Nothing out of the ordinary seen, and little of that.

Early this evening, I again made a quick visit as far as the tower. Sixty Sandwich Terns counted on the rocks, with the odd Common mixed in. Still waiting on that first Arctic or even Roseate.

Also on the rocks this evening, I rediscovered one of the Kingfishers from earlier in the week.

Attachments

• DSCN7674.jpg
    DSCN7674.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN7683.jpg
    DSCN7683.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN7687.jpg
    DSCN7687.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 113
Another attempted session washed out by the weather this morning. I got as far as the tower before the heavens opened, but abandoned plans to head further along to Kinghorn.

Not a lot about to be honest. Highlight was a returning Knot. Good to see it in summer colours.

Attachments

• DSCN7724.jpg
    DSCN7724.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN7711.jpg
    DSCN7711.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 94
Warm

A very warm day made a full count along the strip hot work. Lots to keep me interested, but no new arrivals. Purple Sandpiper have arrived back on the Isle of May, so I'm keeping a special eye open for them.

Small Ducks

A spare hour this afternoon saw me out to the tower and back at high tide. August has been hard work, but today I saw the reward for persistence. Approaching the tower, I spotted two small ducks paddling around the remaining exposed rocks. They stood out a mile from the default Eiders, and a little investigation revealed them to be a patch tick in the shape of Teal.

THE LIST UPDATED
1. Bar-tailed Godwit
2. Blackcap
3. Black-headed Gull
4. Black-tailed Godwit
5. Blackbird
6. Blue Tit
7. Bullfinch
8. Carrion Crow
9. Chaffinch
10. Chiffchaff
11. Collared Dove
12. Common Buzzard
13. Common Gull
14. Common Sandpiper
15. Common Scoter*
16. Common Tern
17. Cormorant
18. Curlew
19. Dunlin
20. Dunnock
21. Eider
22. Feral Pigeon
23. Fulmar
24. Gannet
25. Garden Warbler
26. Goldcrest
27. Goldeneye
28. Goldfinch
29. Goosander
31. Great Crested Grebe
32. Great Tit
33. Greenfinch
34. Greenshank
35. Grey Heron
36. Greylag
37. Grey Wagtail
38. Guillemot
39. Herring Gull
40. Housemartin
41. House Sparrow
42. Kestrel
43. Kingfisher
44. Knot
46. Linnet
47. Long-tailed Duck
48. Long-tailed Tit
49. Magpie
50. Mallard
51. Meadow Pipit
52. Mute Swan
53. Oystercatcher
54. Pheasant
56. Pink-Footed Goose
57. Peregrine
58. Puffin
59. Purple Sandpiper
60. Red-Throated Diver*
61. Red-breasted Merganser
62. Redshank
63. Reed Bunting
64. Ringed Plover
65. Robin
66. Rock Pipit
67. Ruff
68. Sanderling
69. Sandwich Tern
70. Sedge Warbler
71. Shag
72. Skylark
73. Song Thrush
74. Sparrowhawk
75. Starling
76. Stonechat*
77. Swallow
78. Swift
79. Teal
80. Turnstone
81. Velvet Scoter
82. Wheatear
83. Whimbrel
84. Whitethroat
85. Willow Warbler
86. Woodpigeon
87. Wren.
88. Yellowhammer

Attachments

• DSCN7959.jpg
    DSCN7959.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN7949.jpg
    DSCN7949.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN7951.jpg
    DSCN7951.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN7943.jpg
    DSCN7943.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN7967.jpg
    DSCN7967.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
The strip had a slight autumnal feel this morning, with mist on the Forth, fruiting berry bushes, a breeze from the east and a flurry of butterfly activity. On the bird front, no real change, with only a group of Mallard being notable as out of the recent ordinary.

I returned to the strip this afternoon at high tide, and bumped into two other birders, one of whom I have met on a couple of other occasions. I was informed that I had just missed a Raven that had caused a commotion amongst the resident Turnstones. As the birder I had previously met is experienced (he was there to carry out a WeBS), I am adding Raven to the patch list.

THE LIST UPDATED
1. Bar-tailed Godwit
2. Blackcap
3. Black-headed Gull
4. Black-tailed Godwit
5. Blackbird
6. Blue Tit
7. Bullfinch
8. Carrion Crow
9. Chaffinch
10. Chiffchaff
11. Collared Dove
12. Common Buzzard
13. Common Gull
14. Common Sandpiper
15. Common Scoter*
16. Common Tern
17. Cormorant
18. Curlew
19. Dunlin
20. Dunnock
21. Eider
22. Feral Pigeon
23. Fulmar
24. Gannet
25. Garden Warbler
26. Goldcrest
27. Goldeneye
28. Goldfinch
29. Goosander
31. Great Crested Grebe
32. Great Tit
33. Greenfinch
34. Greenshank
35. Grey Heron
36. Greylag
37. Grey Wagtail
38. Guillemot
39. Herring Gull
40. Housemartin
41. House Sparrow
42. Kestrel
43. Kingfisher
44. Knot
46. Linnet
47. Long-tailed Duck
48. Long-tailed Tit
49. Magpie
50. Mallard
51. Meadow Pipit
52. Mute Swan
53. Oystercatcher
54. Pheasant
56. Pink-Footed Goose
57. Peregrine
58. Puffin
59. Purple Sandpiper
60. Raven*
61. Red-Throated Diver*
62. Red-breasted Merganser
63. Redshank
64. Reed Bunting
65. Ringed Plover
66. Robin
67. Rock Pipit
68. Ruff
69. Sanderling
70. Sandwich Tern
71. Sedge Warbler
72. Shag
73. Skylark
74. Song Thrush
75. Sparrowhawk
76. Starling
77. Stonechat*
78. Swallow
79. Swift
80. Teal
81. Turnstone
82. Velvet Scoter
83. Wheatear
84. Whimbrel
85. Whitethroat
86. Willow Warbler
87. Woodpigeon
88. Wren.
89. Yellowhammer

A late afternoon patrol along the fairly lethargic strip turned up little before the tower. At the tower there was a lot of House Sparrow, Dunnock and Whitethroat, with a many of those spotted looking like this year's crop.

Beyond the tower, I found a group of Sandwich Tern down on the few rocks in front of Seafield Cave Cove, not submerged by the high tide. I counted just under 100, but while counting from my high vantage point on the path above, I also briefly spotted a nearby Kingfisher.

Further along the path, from the back of Lime Kiln Beach, I found another group of Sandwich Tern. These birds took the total count up to 150.

On the way back, I diverted down the old coastal path that leads down into Seafield Cave Cove. I was hoping to find the Kingfisher again, but from closer quarters, however, I was distracted by a trio of Teal. While viewing the Teal though, I again picked up on the Kingfisher. It was sitting there resplendent in the afternoon sunshine, but sadly did not hang about long enough for a photo call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back