• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls, gulls, gulls... Maine coast (1 Viewer)

hbreder

I need some help getting an ID of these gulls; I took the photos over the past 3 days on the coast of Acadia National Park. I think most of them are mature and juvenile ring-billed gulls except for the one composite photo with the great black-backed gull which I kept in for size comparison. Hope of course that hidden among them is a Thayer's gull.

Attachments

• Gull_7a.jpg
    Gull_7a.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 334
  • Gulls_8.jpg
    Gulls_8.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 359
  • Gull_1.jpg
    Gull_1.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 355
  • Gulls_6.jpg
    Gulls_6.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Gull_4.jpg
    Gull_4.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 321
The first is a Ring Billed Gull. I think Pic 2 shows a Yank Herring and a Great Black Backed Gull. All the other pics show Yank Herrings, though I can't say i'm certain about the birds in pic4.

D

I agree with dan on all his identifications, though not necessarily the insinuation that our Herring Gulls aren't proper Herring Gulls. ;-) I'm not very good with immature gulls, but I don't think there are other east coast gulls that look like those in #4.

#1 Adult Ringbill
#2 Ad. Am. Herring & Ad. Great Blackback
#3 Ad. Am. Herring
#4 2 young Am. Herring and 1 1st winter Great Blackback
#5 Ad. Am. Herring

I wanted to add a couple more gulls but could only upload a max of 5 files. So here are 3 more.

Attachments

• Gull3.jpg
    Gull3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 312
  • Gull_5.jpg
    Gull_5.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 299
  • Gulls_9.jpg
    Gulls_9.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 319
Image 4 in post 1 doesn´t strike me as a GBBG & 3 in post 5 is smithsonianus (American Herring Gull).

If the gull in image 3 in post 1 had been taken on the west Coast I would have considered a Western x Glaucous-winged Gull or Herring x Glaucous-winged Gull The bill has a heavy bulbous tip although the structure is quite Herring like.

JanJ

I studied the pictures in post #5 again and realized that there is an American Herring Gull there and not a Great Black-back. Apologies for the confusion.

Thanks everyone for taking time to look and respond, and for your very helpful info! I went back to Sibley's to study and compare, and learned a lot from your comments.

If the gull in image 3 in post 1 had been taken on the west Coast I would have considered a Western x Glaucous-winged Gull or Herring x Glaucous-winged Gull The bill has a heavy bulbous tip although the structure is quite Herring like.

JanJ

That gull in post 1 image 3 looks fine for Herring to me. They can be quite variable, but this guy is quite in their range. I cannot see any other genes that Herring in it.

That gull in post 1 image 3 looks fine for Herring to me. They can be quite variable, but this guy is quite in their range. I cannot see any other genes that Herring in it.

Yes, Herring Gulls are quite variable - but they don´t have bills like the one here, provided that the image shows what it was in real life.

JanJ

but they don´t have bills like the one here

If you say so ;) For my part I don't see anything wrong, this bill looks the same as the bill on picture 319 p 252 of Gulls from Olsen & Larsson and here the shape is exagerated by the flattened forehead.

Was there agreement on the second immature bird (further away, better focus) in photo #4 in the first post. Microtus said GBBG and Jan said HEGU. It's bigger, more contrasty, and has an all black bill, so my first thought was GBBG, but I would never have said so if Microtus handn't.

Scott

Image 4 in post 1 doesn´t strike me as a GBBG & 3 in post 5 is smithsonianus (American Herring Gull).

JanJ
YOu think so jan? Looks like a typical Herring Gull to me, at least in the sense that I would readily pick it out if it were in a west coast flock.

Was there agreement on the second immature bird (further away, better focus) in photo #4 in the first post. Microtus said GBBG and Jan said HEGU. It's bigger, more contrasty, and has an all black bill, so my first thought was GBBG, but I would never have said so if Microtus handn't.

Scott
I was thinking GBBG as well. smiths aren't that contrasting. Could be a stray argentatus/argenteus. It is that time of year.

Informational question: Are stray argenteus/argentatus found this early in North America?
none have been reported yet but since this is the migration season, especially from Iceland, it's possible to get bird of the year strays. Just a possibility.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back