• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chachalacas (1 Viewer)

Ortalida vs. Ortalis Merrem

AP Peterson on Zoonomen: http://www.zoonomen.net/avtax/n/o.html#OrtalisNomenclature
Wharton (1879): http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/35127#page/502/mode/1up
Quod genus, cum multas sane species comprehendat, in plures phalanges dividendum videtur, quarum primam cum Linnaeo atque Brissonio Cracem, eam, ad quam nostra pertinet species, Penelopen, tertiam, ad quam Phasianus Motmot et similes ei referendae sunt aves, Ortalida appello.
Roughly:
Which genus, as it indeed includes many species, is seen as divided in several phalanges, of which a first, in agreement with Linnaeus and Brisson, is Crax; the one to which our species "Penelopen" pertains; and a third one, to which Phasianus Motmot and the birds similar to it are referred, that I call "Ortalida".​
Wharton's (1879) argument was that appello calls for an accusative, and that Ortalida had to be read as the accusative case of Ortalis. The first assertion is indeed correct (appellare actually calls for a double accusative), but the inferred consequence seems completely wrong to me: the accusative singular of a feminine word Ortalis, in a Latin text, would be Ortalidem--definitely not "Ortalida". A noun with an -a ending in the accusative in a Latin text can only be neuter plural... (And nouns with an -is ending in the nominative are never neuter.)
It seems much more likely to me that the sentence is less-than-perfect Latin, and Ortalida indeed a 1st-declension feminine word written in the nominative singular.
(As side evidence suggesting that the Latin might be poor, note the definitely odd "Penelopen" in the middle of the Latin quote--written this way both by Wharton (1879) and on Zoonomen [the latter having a much longer quote, which was evidently not copied from the former]. This doesn't look like Latin at all, but rather suggests a German plural, retained accidentally in an imperfect translation process...)

Laurent, I tend to agree with a lot of this from reading the actual texts (as you can tell from certain passages in the paper cited above). It is not often that a genus name is ex post facto changed so dramatically in its ending, and this smacks of an inventive solution to the priority of invertebrate genus names. The counter-argument is that "Ortalis" in ancient Greek has a meaning "young fowl" which seems appropriate for a galliform. I am not sure if Ortalida means anything in Latin?

The best solution to me seems to be an ICZN case fixing the name Ortalis and authorship thereof to Merrem. Question is, can anyone be bothered?

Cracidae

Erwin Tramontini Grau, 2008. Filogenia Molecular e Biogeografia: Jacus e Jacutingas (Cracidae). / Molecular Phylogenetics and Biogeography: Typical, Piping and Wattled Guans (Cracidae). Tese de Doutorado, São Paulo.
Abstract and PDF [here]

Going back to 2012:
Laurent said: "(As side evidence suggesting that the Latin might be poor, note the definitely odd "Penelopen" in the middle of the Latin quote--written this way both by Wharton (1879) and on Zoonomen [the latter having a much longer quote, which was evidently not copied from the former]. This doesn't look like Latin at all, but rather suggests a German plural, retained accidentally in an imperfect translation process...)"
I think Penelopen is a very rare latin word, http://nlp.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults?q=Penelopen&target=la .
http://nlp.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph.jsp?l=Penelopen&la=la&can=penelopen0&prior=uno .
But Merrem did not name the genus Penelopen but Penelope. I cannot find Merrem 1786 online but in a review it shows that the 11th and 12th drawing of this work Merrem used Penelope as the genus.
http://zs.thulb.uni-jena.de/receive/jportal_jparticle_00028408 . You must go to the second page of the review to see Penelope. So Penelopen is a sloppy use of German?? I am not sure how this helps with Ortalis/Ortalida

Last edited:
Seems correct to me. (I expected declension as a Latinized word, but Merrem actually declined the word in Greek, and indeed ορταλιδα would appear to be a correct Greek accusative. [Obviously my Greek declensions are too far behind me.] Sorry about the fuss, thus, and apologies to Merrem and Wharton.)

Seems correct to me.
I think I should qualify this statement... The grammar is certainly correct--ie., Ortalida is ορταλιδα, the Greek accusative of ορταλις, which must be turned into a nominative, hence the correct original spelling of the name can only be Ortalis.

However:
29.3. Determination of stem in names of type genera. The stem of a family-group name is based on the name of its type genus [Art. 63] and determined as follows.
29.3.1. If a generic name is [..] a Greek [...] word, [...] the stem for the purposes of the Code is found by deleting the case ending of the
appropriate genitive singular.
29.3.1.1. If the stem so formed ends in -id, those letters may be elided before adding the family-group suffixes. [...]​
29.3.3. If a generic name is [...] an arbitrary combination of letters, the stem for the purposes of the Code is that adopted by the author who establishes the new family-group taxon, either the entire generic name (see Article 29.6), or the entire generic name with the ending elided, or the entire generic name with one or more appropriate linking letters incorporated in order to form a more euphonious family-group name.
29.4. Acceptance of originally formed stem. If after 1999 a new family-group name is based on a generic name which is or ends in a Greek or Latin word or ends in a Greek or Latin suffix, but its derivation does not follow the grammatical procedures of Articles 29.3.1 or 29.3.2, its original spelling must be maintained as the correct original spelling, provided
29.4.1. it has a correctly formed suffix [Art. 29.2], and
29.4.2. its stem is formed from the name of the type genus as though it were an arbitrary combination of letters [Art. 29.3.3].​
Ortalis is a Greek word, its genitive is Ortalidos, its stem is Ortalid- under 29.3.1, which may be elided to Ortal- under 29.3.1.1.

29.4 acts as an exception to 29.3, which is the default. Under 29.4, an originally formed stem would have to be accepted instead of the classical stem, provided that it is formed as though the name were an arbitrary combination of letters (29.3.3). Here, the originally formed stem was Ortalida-. Unfortunately, if this stem is incorrect (ie, not 29.3.3-compliant), nothing allows to replace it with Ortalis- under 24.9 based on an a-posteriori interpretation of the author's intent, however convincing this interpretation might be. If Ortalida- is incorrect, 29.4 simply does not protect the originally formed stem, the exception does not apply, and the stem must be formed classically, under 29.3.

(Or, to put it in other words:
- The only possible way to make a new name "Ortalisini" based on a genus Ortalis correct, is through Art. 29.4.
- The only possible thing that Art. 29.4 can achieve is that an "original spelling must be maintained as the correct original spelling".
Thus the original spelling must have been "Ortalisini", or "Ortalisini" cannot be correct... The original spelling was Ortalidaini.)

(Additionally, I'm also not sure I understand the effect that the permanent invalidity of the family names formed from Ortalis Fallen, 1810, can have on this case. Invalidity does not mean unavailability; even if invalid, these names still compete for homonymy, and make any newly-proposed junior homonym as invalid as themselves.)

Last edited:
Comment from original author: I believe this recent Zootaxa paper is incorrect in various respects. I have sent a response to the editors, though doubt they will publish it.

But in short:
1. Any previously established homonym, even if invalid, is not available for Ortalis the bird. So check this out at p.483:
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/34225#/summary

2. Ortalida- is an "appropriate" stem within the meaning of 29.6 of the Code when no "standard" options are available. Appropriate is a term capable of a broad interpretation. The original description is valid.

In contrast, those who want to use some other name, e.g. Ortalisini, would have to get the ICZN to suppress previously used homonymous names for flies.

I will not go into more detail here, because that is more the place of a response to a paper not a forum for birders.

Names are about facilitating communication and creating this sort of confusion is not very pointful.

Thanks, Thomas

Last edited:
1. Any previously established homonym, even if invalid, is not available for Ortalis the bird. So check this out at p.483:
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/34225#/summary
This one doesn't work, though, Thomas.
It was published before 2000, hence Art. 29.4 doesn't apply to it, and the stem must be formed under 29.3. Thus "Ortalisini", as used there, is an incorrect spelling, requiring a mandatory correction into Ortalidini or Ortalini. An incorrect spelling has no availability.

Cheers, Laurent -

Last edited:
29.3/4 determine the correct original spelling of family group names. 29.4 covers only names that "after 1999" are "new family-group names". If a name is made available in the publication you quote, its spelling is determined by 29.3: a tribe with type genus Ortalis, thus the spelling is Ortalidini or Ortalini. It is with this spelling that the name will enter into homonymy.

Laurent, Yes, thanks. That is something I had overlooked when putting this together. David does not get into these issues either, of course.

Batting for the "other side" (as if such a thing should exist in a discussion about spellings), you should also bear in mind that art 35.4 allows corrections in cases like this, and was cited by David. The argument would be mine is an "unjustified emendation".

Thomas

You mean the argument would then be in 2 steps: (1) the name is correctly formed based on Ortalida, treating it "as though it were an arbitrary combination of letters", hence "its original spelling must be maintained as the correct original spelling" under 29.4, and then (2), oh wait, but Ortalida is an unjustified emendation of Ortalis, hence "Ortalis" must replace "Ortalida" in the name under 35.4.1?

Laurent -

Yes. The two provisions are potentially contradictory, but the Code was not really put together with this situation in mind. Consensus from those I have been speaking to seems to be that a commission case to put one or 'tother name on the official list is needed.

Well, it seems clear that a Commission ruling would put an end to any dispute once and for all, so it would certainly be a good thing. My point here was mainly that the proposed "solution" was in my view questionably Code-compliant--but a ruling of course is Code-compliant by definition.

Cracidae

Pinilla-Buitrago, Martínez-Morales, González-García, Enríquez, Rangel-Salazar, Guichard Romero, Navarro-Sigüenza, Monterrubio-Rico & Escalona-Segura 2014. CracidMex1: a comprehensive database of global occurrences of cracids (Aves, Galliformes) with distribution in Mexico. ZooKeys 420: 87–115. [abstract] [pdf] [database]

An incorrect spelling has no availability.

An incorrect spelling has no availability today under the modern code, but the relevant test here is "previously established". Again, one could argue two meanings for that phrase in retrospect ... but I still prefer the more obvious one that this includes names that were at one time established.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back