• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (4 Viewers)

Stone Curlew at Son Real reserve

Highlight of the visit to Son Real yesterday. This and 2 hoopoes in the fields beyond the stone wall .

Attachments

• IMG_6158.JPG
    IMG_6158.JPG
    619.6 KB · Views: 125
Hi Andrew. The Western Reef Heron has most reliably been seen from Sa Roca hide, Albufera. I believe that it is still being seen.
There are different opinions about the Ruppell's Vulture, some people doubting the record so if anyone knows anything about the reported sighting, could they please post here. I believe it was seen from Cuber reservoir.
Long-eared owls are plentiful here in the south as are Scop's owls. I'm very disappointed that the traditional site has been blocked up.
Bonelli's eagles are best seen at Mortitx.
Good luck, Mike

Just as an aside during these quiet times, I have heard quite a few Scop's owls calling during the day. One was very vocal at Albufereta, several heard here in the south and one at the central plain. I have not found reference to this in the literature, but it is not at all unusual. Mike

Hello!
Regarding to the Scop's Owl, I'm sorry but I haven't any news about them in Port de Pollença, neither about Long eared Owl. All I know it has already been said in this forum in the last emails.
Mike, I have heard some Scop's Owl singing during the day too.
Anyway I think they are quieter now, at least where I live, in Sóller. I always can hear two of them in the distance, from my home, but not in the last month. In the other hand we have a Barn Owl calling every night there.

Best wishes,
Cristina.

Hybrid egret?

I have seen a Little Egret flying with a dark grey egret the same size. Is this the hybrid egret noted by hughm and ggshrike on April 7/8 2017? It was at the Albufreta from near the old Posada Verano hostal.
Phil

Hi Phil. Yes, that sounds very like the hybrid. The real deal is nothing like it, very dark indeed and striking. It has stayed faithful to the Albufera reserve and the hybrid has been hanging out at Albufereta. Mike

Bee eaters at DEPURADORA at ALBUFERA

Several bee eaters on power lines today and also flying over ALBUFERA Marshes.

This breeding pair at the traditional site on the road before turning towards the viewing point

Attachments

• IMG_6250.JPG
    IMG_6250.JPG
    427.9 KB · Views: 61
Stone Curlew at the Sa Roca, ALBUFERA

Today this Stone Curlew was visible at Sa Roca.
At the same time 2 Marsh Harriers, 2 glossy Ibis and and a Bee eater flew over

Attachments

• IMG_6277.JPG
    IMG_6277.JPG
    679.3 KB · Views: 82
This leucistic Spotted flycatcher appeared outside my apartment yesterday. I believe that true albinos have pink eyes so I guess this one is leucistic.
Scop's owls very vocal last night locally, a big storm is on its way. Mike

Attachments

• DSCN9264.jpg
    DSCN9264.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 74
:eek!:
looks like a young one.|:$|
Can I share your photo on facebook Mike?

Last edited:
Schedule La Gola Centre

Good morning,
During July and August the Ornithological Tourism Centre la Gola will be open from Monday to Friday, from 9am to 1pm.
Best wishes,
Cristina.

Bee Eaters at Depuradora , Albufera

Great views of these bee eaters at Depurodora. These appear to be a breeding pair, visiting a point in the adjacent Son Bosc field.

Attachments

• 829532F6-196B-4FAC-A614-0B05FB118023.JPG
    829532F6-196B-4FAC-A614-0B05FB118023.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 59
Quite a lot of action today following big storms.
Two Caspian terns in the bay of Alcudia and two Ruddy shelduck at Maristany.
Mike

I don't know Phil, I just got the news that two Caspian terns were seen in the bay, sadly I have never known them to hang around. I think the storm probably had something to do with their appearance. I don't think they will be seen again. Mike

I don't know Phil, I just got the news that two Caspian terns were seen in the bay, sadly I have never known them to hang around. I think the storm probably had something to do with their appearance. I don't think they will be seen again. Mike

OK - cheers Mike

Now three ruddy shelduck at maristany and water rail in the open!. Also, golden oriole at can curassa.

Thanks for all the posts. Esp Mike. I love birding in Mallorca and its always good to hear what's about.

Full of new life

Albufera, Maristany, Depuradora, all around is completelly full of new life!

Attachments

• SebelliPetit8.jpg
    SebelliPetit8.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 202_AnneraCanyella.jpg
    202_AnneraCanyella.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 78
  • ArdeolesJove.jpg
    ArdeolesJove.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IbisJove.jpg
    IbisJove.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 76
  • hibrido8.jpg
    hibrido8.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back