• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Tits / Willow Tits (2 Viewers)

Jim Martin

Friend of the auk
Announcing the acquisition of THE MARSH TIT AND THE WILLOW TIT by Richard K. Broughton.

The next addition to the venerable and much-loved T & AD Poyser series. This book will be coming out at the end of 2022, and following our imminent relaunch of the series, it will be available in both hardback and paperback formats.

Jim

What does a "relaunch" look like Jim? Is there lots of new stuff in the pipeline? I do like the Poysers. There's a whole shelf full of them a few feet away from where I am sitting.

What does a "relaunch" look like Jim? Is there lots of new stuff in the pipeline? I do like the Poysers. There's a whole shelf full of them a few feet away from where I am sitting.

Probably just new jackets and the reprint of existing titles?

I though that there had been a 'relaunch' when the new look jackets with the blue strip at the top were issued? I do hope we aren't going to end up with yet a third style?

I know that many collectors, myself included, preferred the old, all white jackets.

Hello Andrea,
In terms of the hardbacks, nothing changes. But from the next book onwards (The Common Buzzard) in addition to the hardback we are publishing a paperback (with flaps) edition, coming out at the same time. Complete with a beautiful wraparound jacket, and numbered for collectors.

The Common Buzzard is #100 in the series. So a good time for a relaunch and a refresh.

Thanks, Jim

In the pipeline, lots yes.

The Common Buzzard
Birds of the UK Overseas Territories
The Tawny Owl
The Osprey
The Little Owl
The Marsh Tit and the Willow Tit

and several more that I haven't contracted yet but will be announced soon.

Hello Andrea,
In terms of the hardbacks, nothing changes. But from the next book onwards (The Common Buzzard) in addition to the hardback we are publishing a paperback (with flaps) edition, coming out at the same time. Complete with a beautiful wraparound jacket, and numbered for collectors.

The Common Buzzard is #100 in the series. So a good time for a relaunch and a refresh.

Thanks, Jim

Aha, there's the sales catch for us OCD types!

Any likelihood of those raptor and owl species not yet lucky enough to have their ‘own’ Poyser having the honour bestowed upon them? WTSE, Red Kite, Marsh, Hen & Monty’s Harriers, Hobby, Merlin, Peregrine (update), Long and Short-eared Owls & updated Barn Owl would finish off the bookcase nicely. A great pity to have the second edition of the Barn Owl monograph stumble so close to publication. Equally so with the second edition of the Hen Harrier a few years back. Clive Hutchinson’s brilliant ‘Birds In Ireland’ is 30 years old this year. An updated version would be top of my list of future ‘must haves’. Finding an author for it however......

Any likelihood of those raptor and owl species not yet lucky enough to have their ‘own’ Poyser having the honour bestowed upon them? WTSE, Red Kite, Marsh, Hen & Monty’s Harriers, Hobby, Merlin, Peregrine (update), Long and Short-eared Owls & updated Barn Owl would finish off the bookcase nicely. A great pity to have the second edition of the Barn Owl monograph stumble so close to publication. Equally so with the second edition of the Hen Harrier a few years back. Clive Hutchinson’s brilliant ‘Birds In Ireland’ is 30 years old this year. An updated version would be top of my list of future ‘must haves’. Finding an author for it however......

These things tend to be a labour of love, many are the result of an entire career, researching one area. The financial rewards are pretty small for this type of work so it would have to be a career researcher who produced it as no one else would deem it worthy in terms of reward / effort.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back