• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meadoew Pipits in Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Ron Seymour

Bulgaria
Hello
I live in Samovodene, a village about 10 kilometres from Veliko Tarnovo in Bulgaria. On 21st October (2019), I am pretty sure that I heard a group of Meadow Pipits (Anthus Pretrosis) flying over while birding in the hills within walking distance of my home. I have never seen this species here before and I would like to hear from anyone who has had experience of seeing Meadow Pipits in my area or has detailed knowledge of their distribution/occurence in Bulgaria. Thank you.

Hello Ron,

I can't speak for your region but Meadow Pipit is certainly a regular winter visitor here on the coast.

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris
Thank you for your message. I am sorry that I have not kept up a regular correspondence with you but this is down to laziness, not ill manners. My prostate issues seem to have been resolved for the time being but the back problem (spinal stenosis) is still giving me aggrevation. I have done some birding; I recently spent some time with my brother in Wiltshire and whilst there we managed to 'twitch' the Eastern Olivaceous Warbler at Farlington Marshes in Hampshire. The bird showed briefly on a couple occasions! This is a bird that I hope to stumble on here.
The hill walk on 21st. October produced a Great Grey Shrike, two flyover Crested Larks, 7 Woodlarks, two Black Redstarts and a Robin (a rare sighting for me) - 22 species in all.
Will speak to you soon Chris.

All the best
Ron

Hi Ron,

No need to aplogise, I am just as guilty - once or twice recently I have thought I must get in touch with you and then didn't!
Good to know you have a diagnosis for your back problem now, what is the prognosis?
I read about the Hants EOW on BirdForum, a nice bird to have on your UK list! It's not uncommon around here (although it tends to be a skulker!), I even have it on my garden list.
Autumn raptor migration was kind to me, I managed to add White-tailed and Lesser Spotted Eagle to my patch list, along with Levant Sparrowhawk which was a Lifer!
Now the vertical and winter migrants are arriving - Dunnock, Coal Tit, Siskin, Goldcrest, Brambling and yesterday the first Fieldfare. Speak soon!

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris
I went out and did part of our Country road walk today (7 November) and saw a lot of birds from a numerical point of view (eighteen species in all). I tried to post my sightings on 'ebird' but their website was down and frankly I find the process of submitting my data to them so awkward!
Today I saw what I was pretty sure was a ringtail Hen Harrier, only a relatively brief sighting. I cannot seem to access any information on the status and distribution of Hen Harriers in Bulgaria; I imagine that they are winter visitors and that they don't breed in BG. If you can add to my very scant knowledge of this species I would be very grateful.

Best wishes, Ron.

Hi Ron,

As you surmise Hen Harrier is a winter visitor here (I am fortunate to have had at least one pair around Byala the last few years) and can also be seen on migration. I was able to add it to my garden list thanks to a handsome male passing over last Friday with a group of Common/Steppe Buzzards. There are no confirmed reports of it having bred here in recent years.
I find SmartBirds (not the Pro version) to be a very useful app for info on breeding birds in Bulgaria.

All the best,

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back