• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian and Kingfisher Meet Again! (Bowling Green and Topsham) (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
23-08-03

I got the earliest bus to Bowling Green Marsh and managed to get there for quarter to nine. This early start was rewarded with my first ever Wood Sandpiper in Britain. It was a juvenile feeding along the near edge of the pool. I marvelled at it’s regimentally dark and mottled upper parts. They were pale spots, triangles and short lines on a dark brown background. The neck and upper breast were coarsely streaked and thinned out onto the flanks. The bill was short and black and there was a whitish supercilium that only became prominent after learning it was there. Finally the under parts were a clean white and the legs were light green. Kingfisher came into the hide shortly after and took delight in learning of the small wader’s presence.

There were many other birds present including about 19 Black Tailed Godwits, 23 Eurasian Teal, 5 Northern Lapwings, only one Common Sandpiper, 2 Little Egrets, a Eurasian Spoonbill, a Tufted Duck, a Grey Heron, 2 Northern Shovelers and a Little Grebe. I was also delighted to have a brilliant view of a Red Knot on the opposite pool edge. The details were so clear compared to previous distant sightings.

Kingfisher pointed out a Common Snipe on the mouth of the ’stream’ running into the pool. It was feeding away knee deep in the water jerkily bobbing it’s head. We took some photos but due to the poor light they were not much good. Kingfisher and I waited patiently for any other arrivals and scanned the birds present meticulously in case we had missed anything. During this surveillance I picked out a Sedge Warbler nipping into the reeds to the far left and two Grey Wagtails flying past.

We decided to move onto the viewing platform. This morning’s list was supplemented by many common birds. From the viewing platform we could see Izzy the Glossy Ibis feeding away. Out on the exposed muddy estuary there were many birds to be added to the notebook including many more Little Egrets, a couple of Common Greenshanks, 50+ Eurasian Oystercatchers and two young Common Shelducks. Kingfisher pointed out seven distant summer plumaged Grey Plovers.

After a chat I had to leave as I had business in Exeter to take care of, but I called in at a favourite spot, the recreation ground at Topsham. This was a good move as there were no exceptional gulls but I did get a spectacular view of a Water Rail out in the open, preening away. It was a very short observation as six Carrion Crows soon came along and this spooked the Rail making it flee into the reed bed. Basically the detail I took in were of a long burgundy billed Moorhen type bird with a dark purple front. The most prominent feature was the penetrating red eyes. There were 114 Black Tailed Godwits and a single Common Redshank. I also spotted the second Sedge Warbler of the morning moving at the muddy base of some reeds. There were many of the birds I saw earlier this morning as well as a few other common ones.

In the late afternoon I returned from Exeter to watch the high tide roost. The hide was not as busy as I expected it to be. With the aid of a birder on my right I managed to track down the winter plumaged Spotted Redshank among the horde of Common Redshanks. The Eurasian Spoonbill was present and there was a total of thirty nine Little Egrets.

A fellow birder from my home town, Jeff, turned up and we got chatting about birding in general as well as watching the high tide roost. He pointed out a pair of Gadwall on the water. There were two Red Knot on the far side staying close together as they fed. The Glossy Ibis arrived eventually and settled in with the waders.

There was nothing new so I moved onto the platform. There was a Migrant Hawker and a Chiffchaff in the thorny trees. I learnt that two Ospreys had been seen by other birders, one with a fish in it’s talons. I thought I had seen one in the distance but after discussion it was probably just a Common Buzzard. There was nothing to be seen from the platform with the tide well in so I left for home. It had been a good day’s birding with the Wood Sandpiper, Red Knot and Water Rail being the highlights as well as meeting two friends.

Hi Andrew,
Nice day,see that the Glossy Ibis is STILL present!None of the recent Irish records have been at all obliging(but this may change at some stage soon,hopefully).
I saw my first Wood Sands for 2 years recently:went to the Mallow sugar lagoons to see one on Friday(found Wed),and while I was there I found my own one as well(nice addition to the finds list!).Also had 24(!)Green Sands and 3 Ruff.
Harry H

Harry, the names of places in Ireland conjures wonderful images for me.

I was pleased with the Wood Sand as I found it, someone was in the hide before me and did not mention it. Just the Glossy and the Spoonbill.

I am on good name terms with Izzy, I shall ask him to pay you a visit. Just drop me a line about the preferred marsh you'd like him to go to. Mind you, I will ask hime to return promptly! It was odd seeing a tourist (shell suited) turn up and get excited about Izzy whilst many of us were scanning the river bed for other stuff. I suppose I would be like that at Titchwell with Sammy!

More good stuff there Andrew, I've never seen a Water Rail, Wood Sandpiper .... or your good buddy Izzy !

Hi Andrew,

Sounds a great day for you too!

And I must confess, it is an absolute disgrace, that I STILL haven't been down to see Izzy yet :egghead:

Michael

Carlos, I will pass on what Kingfisher advised me a few weeks ago. 'Keep looking, this is a good time of the year for them'. Hope you see a Wood Sand at Breydon.

Michael, If you ever come darn sarf for Izzy give me a bell and I'll join you.

Andrew,

Just arrived home after 3 wonderful relaxed days away, it was good to meet up with you again your passion for birds is a joy to behold and long may it be that way, seeing my second Wood Sandpiper inside 7 days was great as was the Spotted Redshank.

Heres to the next joint birding day.

Andrew / Kingfisher

I have relatives living in Woodbury who tell me there have been Ospreys fishing the Exe adjacent to Powderham Castle since Monday - sounds like theyre still hanging around. You might try that area.

Jealous of the Wood Sand - I keep missing them here in Cheshire Saw Pectoral Sandpiper on Dee Marshes yesterday and today two Wood Sands turn up whilst I' at work. I hope they stay until Saturday - along with the Curlew Sandpiper and Little Stints!!:C

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back