• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold BX-5 Santiam (1 Viewer)

Upland

There’s some very attractive prices on these now but I have found no reviews on the 8x42 and 10x42, including the Leupold forum here. Does anybody have experience with these?

I spoke with a fellow at Leupold. He told me the BX4 and BX5 have identical (glass and coatings) oculars and objectives. The only difference is the body and the prism coatings, which he said give a the BX5 better contrast. He wasn’t sure if the prisms were different beyond coatings. The larger 15x versions have the abbe-konig? Prisms but Leupold makes no mention of them in the 42 mm models. Interestingly he said the users who would see the most benefit would be birders. I didn’t tell him I was a birder so he wasn’t trying to sell me on the BX5. So at retail I cant see paying double for the BX5s but the 10x42s can be had for $849 at Eurooptic and the 8x42 for $683 at Optics Planet using a 10% off promo they are running now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back