• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Okeechobee (1 Viewer)

As one might expect, the lake is currently full of Stilts and shore birds. Tons of Purple Gallinules as well, and Least Bitterns.

The north side of Fisheating Bay seems to be particularly stuffed with Least Bitterns. I hope to go back in a week or two (if there's still any water) with more time to look and take pictures maybe.

Also saw 5 Roseate Spoonbills and several Snail Kites in that same area yesterday.

a friend of mine took the crane pictures. an immature was with them as well. there are 2-3 snail kites nesting just to the east of Harney Pond canal.

More Spoonbills in the south end near Torry Island, and a coworker doing avain surveys in STA6 reported a kettle of 50 Swallow-tailed Kites

smaller.jpg

Last edited:
BTW one of our scientists swears he saw Flamingoes yesterday out on the lake. I rolled my eyes at that (Spoonbills I thought), but a separate report of them on one of the STA's came in as well. So maybe...?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back