• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to do (birds') feet? (1 Viewer)

Dave B

I would have thought this question had been asked on this forum before, but I can't find any thread, so perhaps not.

Does anyone else find feet impossible to do well? Mine always end up looking as if they are made from pipecleaners. The way I resolve this is usually to hide them behind a leaf or stick them deep in mud.

However, I would really like to learn how to do feet better so they can be displayed openly and without embarrassment. Any tips please?

I reckon they're hard to get right because of their delicate structure and form.
To get them looking the least bit realistic, one has to put the right lines and shadowing at the right places.

This is just a reflection from a total beginner. The way I have dealt with them is to draw the form and then try to draw shadows on them, just as if they were small twigs.

I only find this...but I have no tip,I´M not good enough

Attachments

• 51969-004-A91A8B4A.jpg
    51969-004-A91A8B4A.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 385
My advice is to observe, to spend time understanding how they work, how many joints are there on each toe, etc. If you have the chance of studying live birds in the hand (say in a ringing session) that helps a lot. Note that different birds will have completely different feet, differing even in the number of toes. So you just need to know your subject, and importantly, to understand what you're seeing. It will be easier after some practice. A lot of hard self criticism is also important!
Good luck!

I fear that 'doing' feet is one of the things that has made me give up drawing/painting birds (except waders & ducks of course!),

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back