• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ats 80hd (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Well after 20-odd years of persisting with my Kowa TS-1, I finally took the plunge and bought a replacement which duly arrived yesterday afternoon. A shiny new Swarovski ATS 80HD. Wow! what a beast - the image is stunning and definitely better than anything I have used in the past (Kowa 823/Leica APO77 etc etc). I love the focusing ring, the rubber armouring and general ergonomics.
However, I do have a couple of gripes that people may be interested in - not with the scope, I fail to see how it could be bettered.
1) As part of the deal to buy the scope, I got a free Skua stay-on case. Now, I have seen these used on Leicas and Kowas and they seem to be very good - especially access to the focussing wheels - but the one for the ATS is a real pain. I actually have to remove 3 parts of the case to be able to use my scope (2 lense caps and and a Velro attached band that goes round the body of the scope at the point of the focussing ring. A very poor design.
The case is now residing at the bottom of my wardrobe and is unlikely to see the light of day.
2) I also bought (£60) an LCE digiscoping adaptor for my coolpix4500 which is supposed to be specifically for the ATS. There are 3 screws to fix the adaptor to the zoom eyepiece which can result in it being mounted off-centre and thus I might be unable to zoom properly as half of the image can disappear! But the worst thing of all, is the distance between the lense of the Coolpix and the eyepiece of the ATS - almost 3cm!! Can you imagine the vignetting? Even with the rubber eyepiece removed from the scope, the adaptor does not allow for the camera to be any closer to the scope. The reason for this is simple. Halfway down the barrell of the adaptor is a chamfer which reduces it's internal diameter by about 3mm preventing it from sliding all the way down the eyepiece.
It's so bad I've decided to bite the bullet and buy the Swarovski adaptor at £109.
Anyone want to buy a completely useless digiscoping adaptor for their Swarovski and a never used Kowa stay-on case?

Had the same problem with the Skua SOC for my Nikon fieldscope. I was so baffled I had to ring up the manufacturer to find out how it worked! It is tedious but I am getting used to it. Wish I'd bought the Nikon SOC though. At least you got your SOC free!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I know Nick-on. I'll probably stick with it to be honest - I'm just not known for my patience and if it doesn't work in the first 5 minutes it gets consigned to the useless bin! I'll give it another go at weekend.

I have a Coolpix4500 and use it with an LCE adapter on a Swarovski ATS 80HD scope and do not appear to have any problem with it . I leave the rubber eyepiece in place and just slip the LCE adapter over it, but I only use one screw. The one on top, the other two I have removed.
It sounds like you are trying to fix the adapter to the scope just onto the rubber eyepiece. The adapter is designed to push right over the zoom lens control, which obviously stops you zooming the scope with the camera in place.
I zoom the scope until I have the subject matter at a reasonable size and then slip the camera onto the scope and use the camera zoom to enlarge the image.
I set the camera to manual aperture control and manual focus with the focus set to infinity.

Interesting hearing your problems with SOCs. On an unrelated issue, anyone watch "Britain's Cleverest Animal" on the Beeb this evening? ;)

Sorry Graham, there's no way this adaptor is going to slide all the way over the zoom lense control. It don't fit. With or without the ribber eyepiece. I've even had 1mm skimmed from the inside of the adaptor and it ain't changed anything. As I said above, it's this chamfer that is half-way down the inside of the adaptor barrell that is the problem. Perhaps I got sent the wrong one? Can't do anything about that now that I've had it 'adapted'....

SOC free or half price?

I am thinking of getting the ATS80HD, just reading your comments i am having second thoughts on the case. i have not seen either cases but would the original Swarvo case be better than a Skua??????

please help before i tare my hair out (whats left of it)

:eek!:

Wizard, I don't think you'll find anyone that has the Swarovski SOC yet. Apparently, they have not yet made any!

As for the Skua, it sounds very similar to mine which is Ace Optics own design. It too is a pain when out in the field, having to tear the velcro apart to get at the focusing ring. I tend to leave it off unless I want to carry the scope separately from the tripod. Then the carrying strap comes in very useful. I'm begining to think though, that carrying the scope attached to the tripod may be easier than carrying them separately so my case may also end up at the bottom of my wardrobe before long.

wizard said:
I am thinking of getting the ATS80HD, just reading your comments i am having second thoughts on the case. i have not seen either cases but would the original Swarvo case be better than a Skua??????

please help before i tare my hair out (whats left of it)

:eek!:

We bought an ATS80HD at Warehouse Express, and took up their offer of a half price Swarovski case. We knew it was out of stock at the time - we're just hoping it won't be too long before it arrives!!!! :eek!:

Thankyou for that Elizabeth,

That's where I got mine so hopefully it will be coming in the post. They did say it would be early Feb so I guess they were right :t:

CJ,interested in your comments re the Swar adaptor versus the LCE.I bought the Swar adaptor with the scope,and could not make any headway with it,(I have just sold it,on the Forum,hope it is okay Nigel!!),I then purchased an Eagle optics one,which I used all summer,it was okay,but was very fiddly and difficult to take on and off when needing to re focus,and I kept losing the screws.So after reading Andy's comments re the LCE ,sent for one,and it is "Magic",slides all the way down,I have removed the lense cap thread which was dangling all summer,it only needs to be held by one screw,and there was no "arcking" (sorry ,totally misspelt!!),cannot spell the "v" word,and I took a reasonable pic ,the first time I used it.So ,if I can use it,must be idiot proof.
But the Skua case,yes another matter,it was put into the back of a drawer,and there it will stay.I transport the scope in a carry case,so it is protected,when not in use,and just found it got in the way of the adaptor,esp the Swar one.
Christine

My Swaro case arrived today and it's a superb piece of kit - far better than I expected.

Attachments

• Picture 139ao.jpg
    Picture 139ao.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 317
IanF said:
My Swaro case arrived today and it's a superb piece of kit - far better than I expected.

Ooh! that looks like a much better fit. Though the fabric reminds me of the Lycra outfits worn on Blake's 7 ;)

Looked at the Swarovski case at the Brd Fair last August it looked a very well made item,Iam suprised its taken so long to get in the shops.

Tim Allwood said:
a case for a fully waterproof scope - whatever next!

don't have time in the field to deal with these cases.....
Come off it Tim!
A well designed case is an important piece of kit. Yes, the ATS80HD is waterproof, but the case gives added protection against the bumps and bangs that are inevitable with a hardworking birder such as yourself.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back