• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

80D f/8 autofocus (1 Viewer)

Mevcrna

Hello.
I am looking for anyone with experience with f/8 focus on the 80D or 7D II. I purchased an 80D and returned it when it would not even attempt autofocus with the 2x TC II and a 300mm f/4 and 500mm f/4. Canon has not responded to email about the issue. Reportedly the 7D II can also autofocus at f/8 with these lens combos.
Any experience?
Mike

I can't speak for the quoted lenses but my 7D2 focuses reasonably well (and accurately) with my 100-400 Mk2 and 800 F5.6 L IS with the Canon 1.4 Mk3 extender (So it's F8).
You only have center point AF - but if you are struggling for reach then this is not often an issue, well not for me anyway.

Both the 80D and 7D2 will autofocus at f/8. My wife uses a 7D2 with a Canon 100-400 Mk2 and Canon 1.4x Mk2 extender with excellent results. I use an 80D with the same lens combo also with excellent results. Sounds like your 80D was a duff one unfortunately. I assume all the contacts on lens and extender were clean.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back