• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple of $200 8X32s..... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Good morning....

There's this binocular that is held in a VERY high regard here on BF. If fact, it is said that maybe it is THE binocular to buy for $200 or less. I've come close to purchasing it SEVERAL times. In fact I've probably said I'll NEVER buy it because I don't NEED it. So much for THAT! SO, several years after Frank posted his review about this binocular, I actually did PURCHASE one....the Sightron Blue Sky 8X32.

Now I actually wanted something in the same price range and format to compare it to. I had paid $170.00 or so for the Blue Sky's so I really didn't want to get above $200.00 I really didn't have a CURRENTLY available binocular in the format/price so I went about picking one out. I had purchased a Vortex Diamondback 8X32 some time ago for a friend and knew I didn't want to go that direction. I had looked at some 8X42 Leopold BX-2 Tioga's a few times and liked the construction. I checked to see if the BX-2 was available in the 8X32 format and checked to see if it was less than $200.00....so check and check so I ordered the Leupold BX-2 8X32.

Before I get into my observations and thoughts on these two and other similar 8X32s I want mention that I purposely did not refresh my memory of the listed specs of the Blue Sky nor did I look at the specs of the BX-2 other than to see format and price. I like to have as little bias as possible before going afield.

INITIAL IMPRESSION

The BX-2 arrived first. Upon opening the box I first noticed that the BX-2 has a nifty little case! It's nice! I didn't even take the strap out the wrapper. WOW is the BX-2 SMALL. It's among the smallest 8X32s I have ever seen. Construction seems to be VERY good. Gives the impression of a more expensive binocular. Focus adjustment seems great and requires about 1&1/2 turn stop to stop. Diopter adjustment is in the usual spot under the right eyecup and functions fine. Eyecups feature three stop adjustment. Weight...binocular only- 15.7 ounces. Country of origin- China.

Blue Sky... Right out of the box, I could tell I was really going to like the handling qualities of the Blue Sky. It reminded me of my favorite 8X32, the Swarovski EL 8X32 Swarovision. Case it about what you would expect for a sub-$200 binocular as is construction...maybe slightly above it's price point. Focus adjustment seems fine and requires about 1&1/3 turn stop to stop. Again, diopter adjustment is in the usual spot. Eyecups feature five stop adjustment. Weight...binocular only- 17.1 ounces. Country of origin- Philippines.

IN THE FIELD

I've had these two binoculars a little over two months. I used them every time I've gone birding during this time except for about 10 days while on vacation. Let's say a good bit! I also kinda caught the end of summer right to the beginning of winter. Also birding conditions have ranged from very sunny to downright gloomy. I didn't attach a binocular strap to either binocular, instead I zip-tied RYO snaps for the UL harness. Of course both binoculars feel like that are hardly there when worn. As usual I carry both binoculars rotating one in front and one to the side.

During the first part of October I was able to catch some of the tail end of fall migration. Some of those birds were Indigo Bunting, Magnolia Warbler, American Redstart(a favorite!), and Gray Catbird. I was surprised to get those! Mostly conditions in October were very nice for viewing and IDing birds. Both binoculars functioned perfectly. It was easy to prefer one over the other in terms of handling. The Blue Sky ACED handling. Quite honestly they are about perfect for me. Easy and without any thought and very instinctive. Eye relief was perfect for me and very comfortable while wearing glasses with the eyecups all the way down. The BX-2s aren't the best in terms of handling. For me the barrels are a little too short especially with the strap rings a little far down the barrels. Eye relief for the BX-2 was adequate with eyeglasses but nothing more.

Optically....certainly a difference. The Blue Sky is really better in every way. Detail and optical imagery is noticeably better than the BX-2. The Blue Sky comes across as a more expensive binocular here. While looking AT and FOR birds, I was surprised at how much better the optical presentation was with the Blue Sky. Detail was much better with improved image definition. In fact the BX-2 reminded me of the Vortex Diamondback 8X32 I had here briefly. I wish I still had it to compare. Cloudy conditions magnify the optical advantage of the Blue Sky with better color, contrast, and imagery. Checking FOV....I could tell in the field that the Tioga BX-2 had less FOV than the Sightron Blue Sky. I would have guessed 40 feet. Checking each binoculars factory specifications the difference isn't that much...420ft vs. 394ft, but it sure seemed like more of a difference. One side note...it's CRAZY what a small piece of the pie one is REALLY seeing with a binocular!

More coming!

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 214
Thanks for the review Chuck. It seems that the Sightron for a low priced glass seems to have some consistency with respect to performance and construction. I have the Fuji KF 8X32 which is one of the clones of the Sightron with a FOV of about 390 feet.
That pic (nice to have green vegetation at this time of the year) really shows how small the BX-2 is, too bad about the optics.

Andy W.

Great write-up and a nice pic as usual Chuck.

Lee

Thanks Lee!

Thanks for the review Chuck. It seems that the Sightron for a low priced glass seems to have some consistency with respect to performance and construction. I have the Fuji KF 8X32 which is one of the clones of the Sightron with a FOV of about 390 feet.
That pic (nice to have green vegetation at this time of the year) really shows how small the BX-2 is, too bad about the optics.

Andy W.

Andy...
That pic was actually taken when there WAS green vegetation in October! It's gone now for sure.

Chuck,

Nice review. My experience with the Sightron is very similar. The word that comes to mind is comfortable, both in terms of ergonomics and optics. I am pleasantly surprised every time I pick them up.

The Leupold Mojave BX3 (?) rebranded as Cabela Guide was a much better match up with the Sightron. Sadly, I don't know that either is currently available.

Alan

Continuing.....

I continued to compare the BX-2 and the Blue Sky between themselves and a couple of others I have around the house, mostly non-current models. I grabbed up the Leopold BX-3 Mojave 8X32 and the Zeiss Terra ED 8X32. I traded vehicles from my Ram Crew Cab 4X4 to a Jeep Wranger and the Endeavor ED II 8X42 was too large for the Jeeps glovebox so the BX-3 is my current "truck-binocular." I was eager to see how the two Leopold's would compare.

The BX-2 really DOESN'T compare to the BX-3, even though I paid close to $50 LESS for the BX-3 during a close-out. In fact out of all four of these 8X32s, the BX-3 is the better binocular. It's a nice compact size and handles very nicely. Central diopter adjustment is different than the norm and a nice feature. Optically switching between the binoculars it's pretty easy to see how nice the image of the BX-3 is. Mechanically the BX-3 is excellent.

Throwing in the Zeiss Terra ED 8X32.....Mechanically it's as nice as any of these. The strap lugs are exactly where they should be, out of the way. The eyecups adjust to any length from all the way extended to all the way down. I really like them. Focus adjustment....nice. Optically, this isn't Zeiss's best work though and it's not the Blue Sky's nor the BX-3s equal. Image is not as bright nor as defined as those two.

CONCLUSION

Buy now I'm sure it's easy for anyone to conclude that I think the Blue Sky is the better binocular in practically every way. Though on the large size for a 8X32, it's still lightweight and handles great. It's truly a binocular worth owning and worthy of recommendation and for sub $200.00 it's one of the best. The Leopold BX-2 was somewhat of a disappointment. Optically it comes out below the Blue Sky and also at the bottom of all four of the binoculars mentioned. It also suffers in the handling department as the barrels are so short with the harness/strap lugs so far down the barrels. That's too bad because it's really a well-made binocular. It MAY be useful to those that place a primary importance on size but otherwise I can't recommend it.

Attachments

• IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC00751.jpg
    DSC00751.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 55
Could this particular BX-2 be a lemon?

I really don't THINK so. I looked it over as best I could from the objective end and everything looks in order. In fact it comes across as well made. I think compromised optics is where the price point was met similar to the Vortex Diamondback. A BF member that owns this binocular has a similar experience with it and I quote, "would not get as sharp as I would like compared to similar priced binoculars." It has also been brought to my attention that this model has been D/C and will be replaced in 2019.

I agree with every point you make. I owned a pair of those 8x32 BX-3 Mojaves as well, and the Blue Sky's are just plain sharper, with better color. And they handle better. I don't mind a light 8x32 being an open bridge because I have very large hands and appreciate how well they handle. In fact, of all the binoculars I've ever used - and that's probably 100's by now - the little Blue Sky's handle as well or better than any of them.

Hi Chuck. If I'm reading this correctly you think the BX-3 is the best including the Blue Sky? I really love mine.

Continuing.....

I continued to compare the BX-2 and the Blue Sky between themselves and a couple of others I have around the house, mostly non-current models. I grabbed up the Leopold BX-3 Mojave 8X32 and the Zeiss Terra ED 8X32. I traded vehicles from my Ram Crew Cab 4X4 to a Jeep Wranger and the Endeavor ED II 8X42 was too large for the Jeeps glovebox so the BX-3 is my current "truck-binocular." I was eager to see how the two Leopold's would compare.

The BX-2 really DOESN'T compare to the BX-3, even though I paid close to $50 LESS for the BX-3 during a close-out. In fact out of all four of these 8X32s, the BX-3 is the better binocular. It's a nice compact size and handles very nicely. Central diopter adjustment is different than the norm and a nice feature. Optically switching between the binoculars it's pretty easy to see how nice the image of the BX-3 is. Mechanically the BX-3 is excellent.

Throwing in the Zeiss Terra ED 8X32.....Mechanically it's as nice as any of these. The strap lugs are exactly where they should be, out of the way. The eyecups adjust to any length from all the way extended to all the way down. I really like them. Focus adjustment....nice. Optically, this isn't Zeiss's best work though and it's not the Blue Sky's nor the BX-3s equal. Image is not as bright nor as defined as those two.

CONCLUSION

Buy now I'm sure it's easy for anyone to conclude that I think the Blue Sky is the better binocular in practically every way. Though on the large size for a 8X32, it's still lightweight and handles great. It's truly a binocular worth owning and worthy of recommendation and for sub $200.00 it's one of the best. The Leopold BX-2 was somewhat of a disappointment. Optically it comes out below the Blue Sky and also at the bottom of all four of the binoculars mentioned. It also suffers in the handling department as the barrels are so short with the harness/strap lugs so far down the barrels. That's too bad because it's really a well-made binocular. It MAY be useful to those that place a primary importance on size but otherwise I can't recommend it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back