• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (14 Viewers)

From the Flashes this morning Tim reports:

13 Avocet (but 3 flew towards the Moors Pool), 3 Green Sandpiper, 3 Common Sandpiper, 3 Snipe. 2 adult Little Ringed Plover + chick, Lapwings all just spooked by Peregrine, Cetti's Warbler and Green Woodpecker calling.

At the start of a Bank Holiday weekend with much promise the monthly list presently stands on 96 species so a bit of work to do to reach the average August total of 105.33 species - the lowest total to date was 102 (last year) with a highest return of 108 in 2013 and 2014.

A period of hot weather with winds from the east / south-east could bring wonders at this time of year - Black Terns already reported at Belvide and Blithfield this morning - but there a still a few holes in amongst the commoner birds. Potential additions over the next few days include (year ticks in bold):

Garganey, Pochard, Osprey, Red Kite, Pheasant, Oystercatcher, Whimbrel, Spotted Redshank, Redshank, Common Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Black Tern, Sandwich Tern, Skylark, Tree Pipit, Whinchat, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Nuthatch, Yellowhammer

We are now up to our 23rd ringed Black-headed Gull recorded at Upton Warren this year - an updated version of the spreadsheet is attached with a few responses still outstanding

Attachments

• UWringedgulls25082019.pdf
    69.2 KB · Views: 25
We are now up to our 23rd ringed Black-headed Gull recorded at Upton Warren this year - an updated version of the spreadsheet is attached with a few responses still outstanding

Fairly sure 2V06 & 2P69 are Cotswold birds but getting a response out of them is nigh on impossible! I'll chase up the recent Slimbridge bird for the history. No response yet to my e-mail on Thursday's Polish bird, perhaps a bit soon.

Fairly sure 2V06 & 2P69 are Cotswold birds but getting a response out of them is nigh on impossible! I'll chase up the recent Slimbridge bird for the history. No response yet to my e-mail on Thursday's Polish bird, perhaps a bit soon.

I know we have discussed it before but it is pointless running a ringing scheme if you don't respond to reported sightings. I have also added TCP7 onto the POLRING website to see if I get a response quicker than email

Last edited:
WORK PARTY TUESDAY S27th AUG

This Tuesday we will be completing the brush cutting off tje AMY'S MARSH scrape ..hopefully tje cattle will be grazing some of tje cut areas to maintain a short grassy sword.
If you can spare a couple of hours we will start at 9ish and be done by 12.
Meet at Moors car park 8.45.
John :t:

Another Wood Sandpiper at the Flashes this morning as per Andy P.

Andy P and Mike further report from the Flashes:

5 Green Sandpiper, 2 Common Sandpiper, 3 Little Ringed Plover (adult, our chick & other juvenile), Dunlin, Snipe, 2 Curlew, 6 Gadwall, Shelduck juvenile, 14 Avocet, 42 Lapwing, Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Little Grebe (both juveniles)

2 Common Tern on the Sailing Pool

Last edited:
I know we have discussed it before but it is pointless running a ringing scheme if you don't respond to reported sightings. I have also added TCP7 onto the POLRING website to see if I get a response quicker than email - I assume the code was white rather than black Mike?

Not sure what's going on with CWP. The CWP web-site has info (which I can't attach for some reason) that seems to confirm that the numbers on which we are getting no response are ones they use. Odd, and very frustrating. Wonder if JW is no longer co-ordinator, although the one response I had earlier this year simply said "This isn't one of ours". A follow-up to confirm which of two codes elicited nothing and he's been silent ever since.

From the Flashes this morning Mike reports:

12 Avocet, Wood Sandpiper, 10 Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Dunlin, 3 Little Ringed (adult, chick & juvenile from elsewhere), 3 Snipe 2, Lapwing 40+, Curlew 4, Gadwall, Teal, Common Tern (adult & juvenile)

From the Flashes this morning Mike reports:

12 Avocet, Wood Sandpiper, 10 Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Dunlin, 3 Little Ringed (adult, chick & juvenile from elsewhere), 3 Snipe 2, Lapwing 40+, Curlew 4, Gadwall, Teal, Common Tern (adult & juvenile)

Final count of 4 Snipe. Lesser Whitethroat again in hedge behind hide.

WORK PARTY Time 8am Tuesday 27th August Moors

This Tuesday we will be completing the brush cutting off tje AMY'S MARSH scrape ..hopefully tje cattle will be grazing some of tje cut areas to maintain a short grassy sword.
If you can spare a couple of hours we will start at 9ish and be done by 12.
Meet at Moors car park 8.45.
John :t:

Paul M has brought the start time forward by an hour ...this is due to predicted rain and warm temperature.
We plan to have 3 brush cutters running from 8 am. If the rakers arrive at 8.30 this will give us time to cut some areas ready to be put into the water or left for the cattle to graze..we plan on finishing by 11am.
Hope to see you tomorrow. B :) john

Paul M has brought the start time forward by an hour ...this is due to predicted rain and warm temperature.
We plan to have 3 brush cutters running from 8 am. If the rakers arrive at 8.30 this will give us time to cut some areas ready to be put into the water or left for the cattle to graze..we plan on finishing by 11am.
Hope to see you tomorrow. B :) john

Whilst the winds move away from the east I wonder what some rain may drop tomorrow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back