• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Borneo unusual fly and ant ID (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
Can't even guess at the family for the fly – never seen anything remotely like it in the nearctic. The large ant is a puzzle too – check out the six large curved spines on the back and the shiny gold abdomen. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• P7315100.jpg
    P7315100.jpg
    721.4 KB · Views: 44
  • P7315114.jpg
    P7315114.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thanks Andy. Looks like you nailed the genus of the ant--now only 600 species to choose from ;-). Still curious about the function of the spines; maybe just general defense from predators/enemies.

Last edited:
I would guess at family Micropezidae for the fly

Thanks. Think you are correct. Members of the family (stilt-legged flies) are said to extend their front legs to mimic wasp antenna. While this one is not doing that in the photo, we can see the front legs have a pattern similar to what I've seen in the antenna of many similarly sized wasps: black overall with a medial white band.

Thanks. Think you are correct. Members of the family (stilt-legged flies) are said to extend their front legs to mimic wasp antenna. While this one is not doing that in the photo, we can see the front legs have a pattern similar to what I've seen in the antenna of many similarly sized wasps: black overall with a medial white band.

Just to follow up, an expert at iNaturalist says the fly is actually in a different group, the Acalyptrate Flies, which is paraphyletic and status currently unresolved. The similarity to stilt-legged flies is superficial. He says the genus is Nothybus.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back