• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Black Hawk (1 Viewer)

AKestrel3

Registered Birder
I saw for the first time a Common Black Hawk flying over a rookery of herons, egrets and cormorants in the Sonoma County. I was with my local Audubon group, so plenty more got a great and close view. It was very exciting as I love raptors! And apparently it is the first to be seen in our county. I am looking forwards to hearing more about the local sighting!

Excellent sighting! Even down here they're regarded as noteworthy, and I've only seen the raptor once. There's only a few hundred breeding pairs estimated for all of North America according to the American Bird Conservancy, so that's really a great find.

(edit - Partners in Flight's estimate, which is more recent than the ABC estimate, puts the number considerably higher, more likely in the low thousands instead of the low hundreds, but it's still one of the rarest N.A. raptors)

Last edited:
AKestrel3 said:
I saw for the first time a Common Black Hawk flying over a rookery of herons, egrets and cormorants in the Sonoma County. I was with my local Audubon group, so plenty more got a great and close view. It was very exciting as I love raptors! And apparently it is the first to be seen in our county. I am looking forwards to hearing more about the local sighting!
I went out today (May 24) and saw the hawk soaring over the rookery at 11:30 am.What a thrill! (I live in Guerneville, close to the lagoon area this hawk has been frequenting)

Hi, Pat! I see this is your first post so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

I've only ever seen this hawk once, and that was 2 years ago here in AZ. Any of you CA folks get photos of this guy in Sonoma?

Katy Penland said:
I've only ever seen this hawk once, and that was 2 years ago here in AZ.

Heh, that's about when we saw ours. March of 2003 (when I first started birding in earnest) along Tonto Creek just below the Mogollon rim, about 2 miles south of the fish hatchery.

Mine was off the Rim, too, in the Salt River Canyon, but I can't recall now the name of the campground where we stopped. I'd almost dismissed it as a TV when someone else in the group had a better look and we all got back on it again. Taught me not to be so complacent about big black soaring birds in the desert! ;)

Katy Penland said:
Hi, Pat! I see this is your first post so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

I've only ever seen this hawk once, and that was 2 years ago here in AZ. Any of you CA folks get photos of this guy in Sonoma?

Hello Pat, wasn't that exciting?!

I was too surprized to get any pictures, but I hope to hear more soon to pass one on! Someone should have a picture by now. :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back