• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Moths from last night (1 Viewer)

John D

Hi again
heres some Moths from last night, thanks beforehand for any ID's.
JOHN D

Attachments

• DSCN0417.JPG
    DSCN0417.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN0399.JPG
    DSCN0399.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN0418.JPG
    DSCN0418.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN0422.JPG
    DSCN0422.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN0425.JPG
    DSCN0425.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 112
Seen a couple of these. No.3 is Silky Wainscot I think. I caught this form and the dark streaked wismariensis form in Norfolk last week.

No.5 is Pale Mottled Willow or Mottled Rustic. I can't see the white dots around the reniform stigma but it still looks more like PMW to me.

No. 2 is a Treble-bar and my vote is for Lesser and it would be useful to hear from the experts on separating the two.

No.4 looks like Agapeta hamana but I'll bet I'm wrong again! I'll pass on No.1.

OK, as noone else is having a go at the moment, how about Small Clouded Brindle for No.1. Attached is one of several I have seen recently.

Do you have marshy/wetland areas nearby? Both Silky Wainscot and SCB are associated with marshy places and I would think Silky Wainscot is very local in the Liverpool area. Perhaps I got them wrong.

Attachments

• small_clouded_brindle_6jun_04_800.jpg
    small_clouded_brindle_6jun_04_800.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Can't remember if I got around to posting these or not but as they are relevant here. Two Silky Wainscots (the first is f.wismariensis) and Agapeta hamana.

Attachments

• silky_wainscot_1jun_04_800a.jpg
    silky_wainscot_1jun_04_800a.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 99
  • silky_wainscot_1jun_04_800b.jpg
    silky_wainscot_1jun_04_800b.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 92
  • agapeta_hamana_29may_04_800.jpg
    agapeta_hamana_29may_04_800.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 107
brianhstone said:
Seen a couple of these. No.3 is Silky Wainscot I think. I caught this form and the dark streaked wismariensis form in Norfolk last week.

No.5 is Pale Mottled Willow or Mottled Rustic. I can't see the white dots around the reniform stigma but it still looks more like PMW to me.

No. 2 is a Treble-bar and my vote is for Lesser and it would be useful to hear from the experts on separating the two.

No.4 looks like Agapeta hamana but I'll bet I'm wrong again! I'll pass on No.1.

Hi Brian,
No.1. Possibly Dark Arches, but very far from sure, size is a problem as well.

No.2. It's a Treble-bar, the apical streak is spurred in this species but not in the Lesser Treble-bar, also the basal crossband is rounded where it changes direction near the leading edge. In the Lesser TB it is sharply angled.

No. 3. I agree Your Silky Wainscot, it appears to be a good catch for John D's area.

No.4. Not at all sure on your ID but have no alternative (as yet).

No.5. I'm still working on.

Harry

Last edited:
John D said:
Hi again
heres some Moths from last night, thanks beforehand for any ID's.
JOHN D
Not going to confirm much, but I tend to agree with Harry and Brian.

Here's my call on them
#1 Small Clouded Brindle
#2 Treble-bar
#3 Silky Wainscot
#4 Agapeta hamana, I think its likely, but haven't looked up to see if there are confusion species. Generally they have more markings
#5 From thumbnail, I thought Mottled Rustic, but up close I'd go for Pale Mottles Willow.

I don't think I'm 100% on any of them, as I've never seen Silky Wainscot.

Hi all
thanks for all the ID's,the four ID's Angus (and others)has suggested seem spot on, 1- Small Clouded Brindle,2- Treble Bar, 3-Silky Wainscot and 4-Agapeta Hamana. I have attached another photo of the 5th Moth.
THANKS
JOHN D

Attachments

• DSCN0416.JPG
    DSCN0416.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 106
John D said:
Hi all
thanks for all the ID's,the four ID's Angus (and others)has suggested seem spot on, 1- Small Clouded Brindle,2- Treble Bar, 3-Silky Wainscot and 4-Agapeta Hamana. I have attached another photo of the 5th Moth.
THANKS
JOHN D
Mottled Rustic is a regular in my trap, and I confident that this is not one. I'll stick with Pale Mottled Willow, but its one I'm not really familiar with.

John D said:
Hi all
THANKS
JOHN D

Pale Mottled Willow - the four dots along the costa are diagnostic.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back