• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March 2007 theme challenge - Monochrome Birds (1 Viewer)

IanF

The theme for March 2007 is 'Monochrome Birds'.

This proved a very popular theme last year with many very good entries which showed how well birds can be depicted in monochrome.

We have in mind for this month photos or drawings of a bird or birds appearing in Black & White or Sepia tones. Artists can use paint/pencil/crayon to achieve the same effect.

Camera software and computer processing software usually come with various filters/special effects/saturation controls meaning a black and white or sepia image can be achieved without much effort.

Methods that spring to mind in-computer are to either use the Sepia filter/convert to greyscale or to use the hue/saturation control to remove all colour from the image. The process may leave the image a little softer so some sharpening/unsharp mask may be needed to add more punch to the final image.

If you haven't yet tried it, then it's worth having ago as even the commonest birds take on an added dimension.

As with most competitions there are rules to adhere to and these are the ones for this month -

Rules –
1. Entry to be uploaded between 1st-21st midnight.
2. The bird must be wild and can be of any species.
3. One entry per member.
4. Once uploaded this is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another. However you have until the closing date/time of this competition to ensure that your entry meets criteria.
5. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
6. The birds common name must be given - though please add the scientific too!

7. Image size as defined by the Gallery limits.
8. Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the
Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery.

30 entries will be selected for addition to the voting booth for members to vote upon. Entries not selected for the voting booth will be moved to the Artwork, Paintings and Graphics forum as will the remainder on completion of voting.

A voting booth will be posted after the 21st.

Comments on entries are permitted.

The 2007 monthly themes can be found here.

Any queries about this months competition please post below.

Examples are shown below.

Attachments

• Kestrel DSCN9485 B&W.jpg
    Kestrel DSCN9485 B&W.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 266
  • Kestrel DSCN9485 Sepia.jpg
    Kestrel DSCN9485 Sepia.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 239
johnrobinson said:
Ian
I suppose real monochrome stuff from the 60's is OK ?
Cheers
John
No problem with that John :t:

There's no 12 month time limit this month - which most of our other competitions carry.

Can I ask what is the difference between sinply removing the colour from a photo and converting to greyscale? I've tried both in Photoshop and they seem to give the same result. Maybe it's just my untrained eyes.

Jaff

Jaff said:
Can I ask what is the difference between sinply removing the colour from a photo and converting to greyscale? I've tried both in Photoshop and they seem to give the same result. Maybe it's just my untrained eyes.

Jaff
None at all. Another easy technique is to desaturate the colour content.

Hello,
This will be my first Time entering and would really like to join,
I've done my picture ... Got the original and the converted One,
Do i send both or just the converted One ... Also i would'nt like it if
my entry is wrongly done ... It's monochrome and i got the edge's kind of
drawn ... if that make's sense lol, If it's wrong Ian could you let me know
please,
Thank's and Take care,
John,

Hi John,

You just need to upload the converted one using the link at point 8 above and to fill in the information boxes as they appear. There's no problem with adding a border.

Thank's Ian,
I mean by the edge's that the actual picture is kind of Drawnish if that
make's sense ... No border or frame ... Slight edging on the detail of the
Bird, Don't know the word to use lol ... I'll upload it anyway and Thank's
so much for getting back to me,
Take care,
John,

Well, I've stuck my neck out and made my very first post here at Birdforum.net

Perhaps I shouldn't have picked a contest for my first post, but I guess I might as well jump in with both feet!

Marc

Marc Kurth said:
Well, I've stuck my neck out and made my very first post here at Birdforum.net

Perhaps I shouldn't have picked a contest for my first post, but I guess I might as well jump in with both feet!

Marc

Welcome on board Mark,
looking forward to seeing soon your pics!
Max

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back