• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

Just had a couple of days in Falmouth and yesterday afternoon there were 2 Mediterranean Gulls on Gyllingvase beach then at least 3 on Swanpool beach.

a few Med Gulls flying around the beach at Gylly this afternoon despite the people, a nice welcome back to Falmouth!

Nothing really of note on a walk from Pendennis to Swanpool. But about 5 Med Gulls between the Docks and Gylly; at least 4 Wheatear at Pendennis Point; Water Rail calling and a Grey Wagtail over at Swanpool.

Had a Yellow-browed Warbler calling in woodland at Angarrick Cottages (near Mylor Bridge) this morning. Audible from my house, so almost on the garden list!

Cracking Firecrest in the garden at Angarrick Cottages (near Mylor Bridge). Only about 3 feet away from my bedroom window! A welcome, albeit expected, addition to the garden list.

Some good birds there!

Most exciting bird I've had from the garden recently was Skylarks flying over and my first Blue Tit (fly through!)

And welcome to bf/this falmouth thread Bazza619 ...

This morning did the 2 Reservoirs;

Argal Reservoir

Redwing 120+
Fieldfare 5+
Treecreeper 1
Goldcrest frenzy 4 in one small hawthorn
Mallard 42
Canada Goose 15
Cormorant 2
BH Gull 15
Grey Heron 1
Curlew (h)

Plus Jay, Bullfinch etc

College Reservoir

Med Gull 4ad
BH Gull 20+
LBB Gull 6+
GBB Gull 3
Herring Gull 150+
Grey Heron 1
Teal 2
Wigeon 42
Pochard 8
Tufted Duck 9
Canada Goose 35+
Mute Swan 2
Coot 45+
Curlew 1
Goldcrest 3+
Bullfinch, LT Tit, Song Thrush etc

Last edited:
Highlights from today:

Gyllynvase Beach:
1 Razorbill
1 Wheatear

Pendennis:
2 Med Gulls
2 Whimbrel
1 Clouded Yellow

College and Argal Reservoirs this afternoon ...

Argal

Mallard 43
BH Gull 25
Cormorant 3+
Green Sandpiper 1
Grey Wagtail 1
Redwing 5+
Fieldfare 2 etc etc

College

Wigeon 75+
Canada Goose 70+
Hybrid Canada Goose 1
Mute Swan 4
Pochard 2
Tufted Duck 11
Shoveler 3
Teal 1
Moorhen 2+
Little Grebe 2
Cormorant 4+
Coot 50+
Grey Wagtail
Snipe 1
GSW etc etc

The Green Sandpiper was of course flushed by a dog walker walking the shoreline (at the nature reserve end) and flew off distantly east. Major rarities otherwise - a bloke with bins and wife at Argal informed me they'd seen a Merlin near Longdowns scrapyard earlier in the day, and even rarer, a birder at College from the Uni. He'd had a Black Redstart in his garden the day before.

Hi Dan - That rare student birder was me. About five minutes after I saw you at College I spotted a bittern, went back to try and find you but couldnt see you!

Cheers Will, this is such a great way to find out/share what's arround in Fal! Just got to learn how to use this site properly now!

Hi Dan - That rare student birder was me. About five minutes after I saw you at College I spotted a bittern, went back to try and find you but couldnt see you!

Nice meeting you. And nice one on the Bittern! Don't have much luck with Bitterns around this date myself - travelling back from france on the 7th Nov last year - and the American Bittern last seen on the 6th ... oh well ...

Nice meeting you. And nice one on the Bittern! Don't have much luck with Bitterns around this date myself - travelling back from france on the 7th Nov last year - and the American Bittern last seen on the 6th ... oh well ...

Oh no! Well hopefully this one will stick arround for a while like the bittern last winter at College did:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back