• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

Not quite Falmouth, but two Yellow-browed Warblers at Gwennap Sewerage works this morning and another Siberian Chiffchaff. One of the Yellow-broweds was doing a pretty good impression of a Hume's Warbler appearance wise and I honestly thought it was going to turn into one. Then it called...

Festering Yellow-browed Warblers.......

3 Sessions at Swanpool, a visit to Gwennap yesterday and a brief visit to Carnon Downs this lunchtime, and I saw not even one.......

On the way home saw a lovely Glosy Ibis though....

Festering Yellow-browed Warblers.......

3 Sessions at Swanpool, a visit to Gwennap yesterday and a brief visit to Carnon Downs this lunchtime, and I saw not even one.......

On the way home saw a lovely Glosy Ibis though....

Bad luck mate - I'm sure more will turn up, or a repeated visit or two might turn up the goods.

Photos above show two snipe, a pochard and a blurry bird that I wouldn't like to bit a definite id to.

Snipe

Hi All,
Took this photo earlier today at Ruan. The bird I was aiming at moved so not in focus but on closer inspection there are two other birds in the photo. Are the other two Snipe?
So far this week, loads of Wigeon, 4 Redshanks, lots of Curlew, 2 Little Egret, 1 Greenshank, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Heron, 13 Mallards, loads of Lapwings, Black Headed Gulls and 4 Black Backed Gulls. Also nice photo today of a fox jumping the river.
C

Yes, they are snipe. Well done for spotting them in the photo when looking back at it, I would have struggled to notice them! ;)

Penryn estuary and Swanpool

1+ med gulls on the estuary today - the first I've seen any in a few weeks now. The regulars included:
greenshank (3+)
turnstone (10)
redshank (15)
curlew (40+) comming in to roost and (6) feeding on the mud.
little egret (1)
etc.

Down at swanpool yesterday enjoying the birds (water rail was the highlight, couldn't find the yellow-browed). Unfortunately one man using a remote controlled speed boat thought it was a good idea to drive it into the swans/moorhens etc. This was while others were trying to feed the birds and take photos. Most birds left the area apart from the agitated swans. When I politely confronted him, he told me it was none of my business, but seemed to get the idea and left soon after.

Down at swanpool yesterday enjoying the birds (water rail was the highlight, couldn't find the yellow-browed). Unfortunately one man using a remote controlled speed boat thought it was a good idea to drive it into the swans/moorhens etc. This was while others were trying to feed the birds and take photos. Most birds left the area apart from the agitated swans. When I politely confronted him, he told me it was none of my business, but seemed to get the idea and left soon after.

Well done to you! B :)

Glad I didn't see it when I was there yesterday!

I think you will find your Pochard is a drake Wigeon. ;)

Dave

Aye - you are of course totally correct:) Didn't look at it particularly carefully, although that's not really much of an excuse given the completely wigeon like and very un-pochard like rear end. I'm sure there's a lesson in there about not knowing one's clunis from one's cubitis, or more precisely one ar*e from another.....

Last edited:
Thanks all

Hope you guys are ok with me asking these questions on here. I'm getting better with my local birds but still need a little help.
I have had a bullfinch coming to my garden this week which is only the second I've every seen around here. I took this photo this afternoon and my bird book has been much help in id. I'm sure you guys will know what it is!

Attachments

• DSC07905.jpg
    DSC07905.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 51
Hope you guys are ok with me asking these questions on here. I'm getting better with my local birds but still need a little help.
I have had a bullfinch coming to my garden this week which is only the second I've every seen around here. I took this photo this afternoon and my bird book has been much help in id. I'm sure you guys will know what it is!

It's a Dunnock

Kittiwake

OK, so it's not exactly Falmouth, and it's not rare, but a lovely kittiwake was chilling in St Mawes harbour today - quite unusual to see one so close (<4 metres) at this time of year!

OK, so it's not exactly Falmouth, and it's not rare, but a lovely kittiwake was chilling in St Mawes harbour today - quite unusual to see one so close (<4 metres) at this time of year!

Not Falmouth indeed, how dare you!!! ;)

Any pics? Would say that maybe it was unwell, on the other hand, maybe it just thought it was on the Farnes or somewhere and got its dates wrong ...

What you have to remember Dan, is that Birdguides and other news services are primarily interested in rarities and good local birds like spot reds slip under their radar. As such they have minimal use for scientific or conservation services which is one of the reasons CBWPS set up the Daily Sightings page on their website.
We have 3 records for St Clements, 10 for Camel Estuary 1 of 3 birds for Kingsmill and 1 for Wacker Quay since early Oct.
Remember though these are reports, so we are probably only talking about 5 or 6 birds, compare this to just 10 years ago when 45 birds (90 in 1991) were reported for the same period and you see just how quickly they have declined.

I knew that couldn't be the full picture, cheers! Crossed my mind that the previous report had also been further 'upstream' in the area and so could even easily have been the same bird, unreported since ...

Carnon Downs sewerage works and the surrounding area offered up a fairly spectacular, albeit rather bewildering array of various chiffchaff types this morning. I made the final score as follows:

two tristis (one quite vocal),
at least four sub-tristis intergrades displaying the full spectrum of characteristics from almost complete tristis to almost complete abietinus,
3 pure abientinus and
at least 50 collybitta.
Also 4 Firecrests

I also had what I can only imagine was a male hybrid Willow Warbler x Chiffchaff in full song uttering the descending song typical of Willow Warbler interspersed with chiff-chaff chiff-chaff, rather similar to two presumed hybrids I’ve come across previously. Appearance wise, it looked more like a bog-standard chiffchaff with black legs, plumage tones within the range of collybitta (albeit slightly more greeny/yellow than is typical), but with rather long primary projection.

Anybody keen to get their head around the various plumages and vocals of Chiffchaff races would do well to visit the site over the next few days, particularly as the mild weather seems to be encouraging the birds to be quite vocal.

Nice one! I so wanted to get there that day last week, it was pay a quick visit to the sewage farm or into Truro to find a 40th wedding anniversary present for the parents before the shops closed ... unfortunately!

Another week and I'll be back from France, so maybe get another go ... ;)

Not Falmouth indeed, how dare you!!! ;)

Any pics? Would say that maybe it was unwell, on the other hand, maybe it just thought it was on the Farnes or somewhere and got its dates wrong ...

Haha, sorry, no offense was intended:-O

No pics, was kicking myself that I didn't have my camera. Was definitely an adult Kittiwake (don't worry I know my kittis from my commons) ;)

It didn't seem unwell, it was flying round the harbour happily, and even steeling food from under the noses of herring gulls! I guess maybe the recent winds from the south had forced it close to shore and it fancied an easy meal in the harbour! I was surprised to see it.

Bird of Prey

Hi Guys,
Thanks Ilya thought it was a Dunnock.
Have just been out for my daily walk at Ruan. Saw the usual 100+ Wigeon, 20 odd Canada Geese, Curlew, Little Egret and various Gulls. Came home to find this bird of prey sitting on my doorstep. Would I be right in thinking that it is a female Kestrel. Size approx 10 to 12 inches. Got within two feet before it flew off to the nearest electric cable.
Carol

Attachments

• DSC07947S.jpg
    DSC07947S.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC07952S.jpg
    DSC07952S.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 44
Nice one! I so wanted to get there that day last week, it was pay a quick visit to the sewage farm or into Truro to find a 40th wedding anniversary present for the parents before the shops closed ... unfortunately!

Another week and I'll be back from France, so maybe get another go ... ;)

I guess sewage farms aren't the best place to pick up 40th anniversary presents..

Hi Guys,
Thanks Ilya thought it was a Dunnock.
Have just been out for my daily walk at Ruan. Saw the usual 100+ Wigeon, 20 odd Canada Geese, Curlew, Little Egret and various Gulls. Came home to find this bird of prey sitting on my doorstep. Would I be right in thinking that it is a female Kestrel. Size approx 10 to 12 inches. Got within two feet before it flew off to the nearest electric cable.
Carol

It is a Female kestrel, it's very strange that it allowed you to get so close, maybe it had hit a window and got concussed!

The Ring-necked Duck was back/still on College Reservoir about an hour ago. Note that there's no public access to the site at the moment, but that some of the birds (including the RN Duck) can be viewed distantly from the public bridleway that runs towards Argal Manor.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back