• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Liaoning, Shenyang aka 辽宁沈阳 (1 Viewer)

Andrew,

I wear "Mickies". They are US Army boots from the Korean War. They are white, huge, and far too heavy, but work much like a thermos. They are available online only for around $70. You want the white ones, not the black ones. I too have poor circulation and had problems with cold toes for years. For my hands I wear mittens that have the last three fingers togethers and the forefinger in a separate space so you can still take photos and focus binoculars. Most of the time my fingers are still in a fist inside my mittens trying to get warm however.....

Tom

On February 3rd my father arrived for a two week visit coinciding with Spring Festival... he's a hardcore birder, and this is our tale of woe and redemption! :t:

Date: Feb 8th through 14th

Area: Shenyang Qipanshan, Benxi, Benxi Countryside, Dandong Environs
地区:沈阳棋盘山,本溪市,本溪农村,丹东附近

Weather: -10C ~ -25C

Location 1 - Shenyang Qipanshan:
We have a new house - half a duplex - just a km or two north of the International Horticultural Gardens (aka "Expo Gardens"). We closed on it in December and will decorate and furnish this spring and summer. On the Friday before LNY proper we took my father out to have a look and did a quick bit of birding in the neighborhood...
  • 5 x Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica)
  • 10 x Carrion Crow (Corvus corone)
  • 1 x Great Tit (Parus major)
  • 16 x Oriental Greenfinch (Chloris sinica)

Location 2 - Benxi City Park:
My dad has spent the last 35 years of his life in sunny south Florida. He was deeply worried about dealing with two weeks of NE Chinese winter. I encouraged (punished?) him by making him walk the Benxi City Park at 0800 in -25C weather... a wise decision in the end!
  • 5 x Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus)
  • 10 x Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica)
  • 1 x Coal Tit (Periparus ater)
  • 10 x Great Tit (Parus major)
  • 20 x Eurasian Nuthatch (Sitta europaea)
  • 1 x Naumann's Thrush (Turdus naumanni)
  • 10 x Common Rosefinch (Carpodacus erythrinus)
  • 10 x Pallas' Rosefinch (Carpodacus roseus)
  • 1 x Yellow-billed Grosbeak (Eophona migratoria)
  • 30 x Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus)
I had been to the park once previously and seen exactly one nuthatch. This time it was almost silly how many there were. Once we got to the upper elevations almost every moving bird was a nuthatch. 20 is a conservative tally. Astounding.

Location 3 - Benxi Geology Museum:
This is adjacent to the far better known Benxi Water Cave. While the museum itself was freezing (no heat, inexplicably) the fossils were awesome. 5 minutes in the parking lot and we bagged...
  • 3 x Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica)
  • 3 x Coal Tit (Periparus ater)
  • 1 x Great Tit (Parus major)
  • 2 x Eurasian Nuthatch (Sitta europaea)
  • 1 x Varied Tit (Sittiparus varius)
My first varied tit! All it took was a bit of a jaunt outside the urbanization. So far the trip was going well... decent species counts for very little effort.

Part 2 - Dandong!
Mind you, our forum friend DongBei had just been through this exact area the week before and went home with a stunning array of species sighted. I spent the entire first week of my dad's visit talking up our two-day trip... big mistake! There's only one Tom and I ain't him! The plan was to visit the Hushan Great Wall the first afternoon, then hit the famous wetlands on the second morning...

Location 4 - Dandong Hushan Great Wall:
  • 5 x Common Merganser (Mergus merganser)
  • 1 x Gray-faced Woodpecker (Picus canus)
  • 3 x Brown-eared Bulbul (Hypsipetes amaurotis)
  • 7 x Yellow-throated Bunting (Emberiza elegans)
The weather was poor - hazy and a bit cold - but the wall was beautiful and we had the place almost entirely to ourselves. A somewhat disappointing species count, though we were excited about the bulbuls until we got home and realized we had seen some in Japan back in '06. Nevertheless, a new species for the China list. :)

Also, being cheeky bastards, we spotted a Eurasian Magpie sitting in a tree over the border in DPRK and I dutifully recorded it. I am now ranked 5th on the list of DPRK eBird members with my solitary sighting. :king:

Location 5 - Yalu River Wetlands Park:
On the second morning we got up early and drove down to the famous Yalu river mouth wetlands park. Tom is probably chuckling to himself as he reads this... we discovered that in mid-February the wetlands park is pack-ice as far as the eye can see. No water, of course, means no waterfowl. That was a huge screw-up.
So we loaded back in the car and began winding our way along the coast towards Dandong. By 1000 the only noteworthy avifauna spotted was a flock of Eastern Spot-billed ducks in a ditch.
By 1030 we had returned to the outskirts of Dandong proper and were basically packing it in and making plans to return to the hotel and checkout, utterly defeated. On a lark I suggested we hop over to Moon Island (月亮岛) and see if we can get a gull or two at the downstream point. Our fortunes were changing...
  • 20 x Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
  • 20 x Common Merganser (Mergus merganser)
  • 5 x Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica)
  • 10 x Siberian Stonechat (Saxicola maurus)
  • 40 x Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus)
  • 1 x Monk Vulture aka Cinereous Vulture (Aegypius monachus)
We literally nearly stumbled over the Monk Vulture. At the southern extremus of Moon Island is a low stone wall and then a flat area overlooking the tidal point. This massive, hulking bird was crouched down on the south side of the wall out of sight of anyone in the yard. My father and I had progressively worked our way through the yard watching stonechats and such and were only 2 meters from the wall (by now looking at the ducks out on the water) when he popped his head up. Talk about a shock! :eek!:
We froze, and then I whistled for my father-in-law to scurry over with our telezoom so I could snap some photos. In the end we realized that this was a rather tame specimen, not the least bit threatened by us and perhaps even somewhat disappointed we hadn't brought it some sausages. ;)
The Korean peninsula seems to be the very easternmost reaches of its range, and the global numbers aren't so good. The possibility remains that this is a zoo escapee, or perhaps even some rich Chinese's humorous idea of a pet... but however it came to be in the area, it was very much a wild bird and a stunning one at that.

So, while our final Dandong trip count was a paltry dozen or so species, it ended on a very high note and my father will not soon forget suddenly being eyeball-to-eyeball with one of the largest raptors in the world!

Attachments

• Monk_Vulture.jpg
    Monk_Vulture.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Monk_Vulture-2.jpg
    Monk_Vulture-2.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 148
Every mention of Pallas' Rosefinch grips me off - even though I saw them in Beijing in 1990. . .

I also have some wonderful memories of Black Vulture so can thoroughly empathise with your superb finish!

Cheers
Mike

The headshot of the "MONK" is simply superb. I did a quick check in birdtalker and there are reports from Dandong and Jilin. So you have every reason that it's a wild one.

Every mention of Pallas' Rosefinch grips me off - even though I saw them in Beijing in 1990. . .

I also have some wonderful memories of Black Vulture so can thoroughly empathise with your superb finish!

Cheers
Mike

That's a long time Mike. Why don't you get on the steel bird and say hello to your old friends?

As an American I can't bear to call that magnificent bird a black vulture. We've got our own version in the Americas, you see, and it's a slightly different beast:

Code:
                 ABV           EBV
Max Length       75cm          120cm
Max Wingspan     167cm         310cm
Max Weight       2.75kg        14kg
src: Wikipedia

So yeah, I'll stick with Monk or Cinereous lest I diminish its majesty! :eek!::t:

I've seen some (on this forum to be specific) who've suggested that we call all American vultures "condors" to distinguish from the Eurasian species.

Personally I like it for most of our species, e.g. "black condor" or "king condor", but to my ear it doesn't work for "turkey condor" 8-P

I've seen some (on this forum to be specific) who've suggested that we call all American vultures "condors" to distinguish from the Eurasian species.

Personally I like it for most of our species, e.g. "black condor" or "king condor", but to my ear it doesn't work for "turkey condor" 8-P

I thought Americans called their "condors" "buzzards"? I'm confussed again ;D

McM (heading West...but not in the terminal sense even though it's via a terminal or two...

Date: 2013-02-23

Area: HunHe river bend, south of Shenyang University of Technology
地区:浑河河曲,从沈阳工业大学往南走

Weather: -5C, hazy

Location Sightings (0745):
1,500+ x Ruddy Shelduck (Tadorna ferruginea)
10 x Common Merganser (Mergus merganser)
1 x Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)
2 x Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
20 x Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica)
30 x Carrion Crow (Corvus corone)
20 x Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus)
1 x Naumann's Thrush (Turdus naumanni)

Comments:
See the crappy cellphone photo below... the endless ruddy shelducks... like something out of a Hitchcock film. I could hear them several hundred meters before I got to the bluff overlooking the riverbend. They carpeted the water all the way up and down the river as far as the eye could see. The 1,500+ count is conservative. That's an order of magnitude more than I usually see in this area. I think it's fair to say the Spring Migration has begun, Tom!

Attachments

• shelduck_carpet.jpg
    shelduck_carpet.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 82
Andrew,

Good to see open water! There's a small chance I will be in Shenyang all of next weekend, but not for birding. Bring on Spring......

Tom

Been too busy working to do any birding in China, but I do have some news to share:

I heard back from Prof. Zhou Haixiang* of Shenyang Science & Engineering University's Ecological Research Department (沈阳理工大学生态研究室主任 周海翔) that the Siberian Cranes have already been resting at Huanzidong Wetlands (獾子洞湿地) for 2 weeks.

This weekend he will visit the site with some graduate students. Also, next Tuesday and Wednesday (26th + 27th) a delegation of experts will visit from Beijing. Furthermore, next Wednesday is the Siberian Crane Festival.

I regret that work prevents me from partaking in the above, but I will be out there the following weekend - probably on the 30th. Professor Zhou believes that the cranes will still be present at that time, but I will call again late next week to confirm since it is a bit of a drive!

* - thanks to Tom in Dalian for providing me with his contact information

Date: 2014-04-28

Weather: 10C, sunny

Location Sightings (0600):
8 x Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
5 x Eastern Spot-billed Duck (Anas zonorhyncha)
? x Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)
? x Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica)
? x Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus)
3 x Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea)
8 x Kentish Plover (Charadrius alexandrinus)
1 x Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia)
1 x Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops)
5 x Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus)
3 x White Wagtail (Motacilla alba leucopsis)
1 x Yellow-browed Bunting (Emberiza chrysophrys)

Comments:
Work has kept me from doing any meaningful birding in China for ages, but after visiting Tom the other weekend I'm determined to squeeze it in however I can.

This morning I left the house at 0530 and biked down to the river. This bend used to be excellent for waterfowl but last year we had a flood and the entire area was completely scoured clean of vegetation. Since then there have never been more than a handful of ducks.

I made a quick loop on my mountain bike to assess the environmental conditions, so my list is in no way representative of the true assortment of species. It's hard to sneak up on things when you're wearing hi-vis yellow kit! ;)

Attachments

• river_bend.jpg
    river_bend.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 52
Date: 2014-04-30

Weather: 10C, sunny

Location Sightings (0600 to 0700):
? x Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
5 x Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea)
5 x Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops)
? x White Wagtail (Motacilla alba leucopsis)
? x Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius)
1 x Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia)
1 x Far Eastern Curlew (Numenius madagascariensis)
? x Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
? x Pallas's Leaf-Warbler (Phylloscopus proregulus)
3 x Siberian Stonechat (Saxicola maurus)

Comments:
Red denotes the first sighting for that species in this location. These three new guys put me over 50 species for this spot, which is cause for celebration given how degraded the environment is on the west side of Shenyang and how infrequently I visit.

This morning I rode back down a bit earlier and sat for an hour on the edge of the sand bluff overlooking the river bend. The curlew came in about 30 minutes on and waded about down below me before deciding to take a long bath. That was quite enjoyable to witness. He called plaintively from time to time but no other curlews appeared.

The greenshank managed to snag a long minnow or perhaps an eel that he couldn't swallow. He diddled about with it on the riverbank for a good long while trying to figure out how to enjoy his prize. In the end he gave up and flew off.

The Pallas's Leaf-Warblers are certainly not new to this area, but this is the first time I've been 100% absolutely certain which warbler they are. Standing in a thicket of 3m high bush and getting your binoculars on one only 2m away definitely aids in the identification! ;)

Missed a couple of other passerines, but that just gives you an excuse to go back again soon!

Attachments

• 2014-04-30 09.48.jpg
    2014-04-30 09.48.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 49
Andrew,

Fantastic to see you posting again. Instead of looking at birding as something to squeeze in, see it as your time that you must get in to have the rest of your day go smoothly....;)

That simple river bend could bring in some goodies. Maybe because the rest of the area is so polluted, the bird will be funneled into areas like this? Depressing to think about for the birds but...

Now for the super zoom camera to bring in that Yellow-browed Bunting!

Tom

Andrew, I haven't even come close to uploading the checklists. I have only loaded approx 1/3 of them. The rest will come but first there is spring migration to deal with :). 400 is doable.

Tom

Last edited:
Your patch looks like it head real potential Andrew - looking forward to getting more updates. - if my roundabout can generate 120+ in 18 months then I'm sure habitat of this quality will give plenty of great moments - the Curlew and Greenshank sound pretty cool for a start!

Cheers
Mike

Date: 2014-05-06

Weather: 6C, sunny

Location Sightings (0600 to 0700):
12 x Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
5 x Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea)
2 x Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops)
1 x White Wagtail (Motacilla alba leucopsis)
2 x Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius)
1 x Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia)
2 x Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata)
? x Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
5 x Eurasian Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus)
? x Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus)
Red denotes the first sighting for that species in this location.

Comments:

Hooray for Mandarin Ducks! I've never seen them in China in the wild before and this morning a male and female were dabbling in the garbage right below the bluff.

I spent 30 minutes in the brush trying to photograph warblers with my 70~300mm and the closest I got was a very sharp cluster of vines with a blurry bird in the background. Thanks auto-focus! ;) I had five kestrels overhead at the same time so the songbirds were keeping VERY low profiles.

Also, to cap off a pleasant morning, I saw some sort of parakeet! It was making a racket in a distant tree and when I came out of the bush to investigate I got a glimpse before it flushed. It had been sitting on a branch near a magpie and was considerably larger. I didn't see enough to identify the species and I doubt eBird would be interested if I had! |:D|

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 62
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back