• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acrylics - which brands ? (1 Viewer)

thornlv

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands of acrylics to use, artist quality - reasonably priced. Usually paint watercolor and oils, fancy dipping into acrylics.

Hi there - sorry, I really don't think it matters, to be quite honest. Robert Bateman was asked a similar question a few years ago - to paraphrase him - 'whichever ones come to hand'. S0 - if it's good enough for Bob . . . . . .
I'm sure others will have their favourites - I buy the cheapest.

I generally use Liquitex and also their Basics range for black and white. Golden Acrylics are ok and cheaper, and Galeria are ok too. As Tim/Bob say, whatever comes to hand that doesn't burn an unnecessarily big hole in the wallet

I've always used the cheapest, rowney ones are my favourite as they seem a little thicker, but France seem to love liquitex basics, which is what I use as well, even if their burnt sienna seems to form blobs in the tube.

Have bought my collection today, but yikes not everything went to plan. I had 3 shops nearby - i found one closed down, one selling off the liquitex range and not had much left and the other stopped them altogether. Over the day I now have a mix of Liquitex, Galleria, Daler Rowney Cryla and Windsor and Newton Artists.

Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Those should be fine. I use Winsor and newton, Holbein aeroflash and Golden. I also have cheap hobby grade acrylics for other coloring than artwork (decorative paintings or shading other paints. I have learned that artist quality paints and brushes makes the painting proses easyer for me.

Last edited:
don't worry about mixing them up, I do, you can even mix in a bit of watercolour or even emulsion for that matter if you like.

First thing I did was make color swatches of the tubes - got a nice surprise with the cheaper galleria, some seem very good for detail work, was disappointed with some of the windsor and newton and the liquitex ones are just great.

Now I need to get stuck in.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back